Question

Top Student
sccolorado
Message 1 of 37 (8,919 Views)

HP Photosmart Plus B210 and Mac OS X 10.6.8 NEVER works

I am so frustrated with my printer!  After being told that HP printers are the best to use with a Mac, I have not yet had a good experience with this combo.  I have a HP Photosmart Plus B210 with a Mac OS X 10.6.8 operating system.  Everytime I try to print wirelessly, the printer doesn't connect and the print fails.  Everytime I try to scan, the printer doesn't connect and the scan fails.  I restart the printer, restart the computer, do a wireless test, I've updated OS X, I've updated the HP software on Apple, I've run through all the steps told to me by an HP support person.  It still doesn't work.  I have not had this printer for more than 6 months.  PLEASE tell me what I need to do!  

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 37 (8,851 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart Plus B210 and Mac OS X 10.6.8 NEVER works

What router?

Let's reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Nibla
Message 3 of 37 (8,838 Views)

I have exactly the same problem with wireless printing (although I'm running Mac OSX 10.5.8). I bought the printer two weeks ago, and at first it worked perfectly well. After a re-start of the router (a Belkin 54G), however, the printer was not available anymore. Since then, I have not been able to print. The funny thing is that I can print from my PC.

I have uninstalled and then reinstalled the software without success. I have also resetted the printing system in System Prefs according to the above suggestion. Nothing works. What should I do?

Top Student
sccolorado
Message 4 of 37 (8,836 Views)

I've tried this several times.  Still no luck.

Honor Student
Nibla
Message 5 of 37 (8,822 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi sccolorado,

I have found a solution that works for me! In another thread on this forum (search for 'my hp photosmart plus b210 doesn't stay connected with my macbook.'), SchlomiL suggests the following:

Please try adding your printer by IP:

From the printer control panel. enter the Setup, click Network / Wireless and then click View Network Summary.

The printer IP address will appear on the screen.

Enter System Preferences and then Print & Fax, click the Plus sign and now click th IP icon at the top.

Select the HP Jetdirect socket protocol and type the pritner IP address.

make sure to set a unique name which will let you identify the IP printer.

Now try printing and check for any improvement...

Please find below a brief description which may explain the cause for my opinion:

Any Apple device uses Bonjour service to communicate with the device, Bonjour relies on DNS Multicasting protocol to establish the communication.

By viewing you router spec, i could not locate any indication to mdns support.

For any case the prointer reacts better by using the IP Address, please contact your router support, make sure the DNS Multicating feature is supported and enabled as well..

If my post was helpful, please say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
As well, please mark the specific post which solves your problem as Accepted Solution, :smileyhappy:

Just remember to select the driver for the photosmart plus b210 series after choosing the HP Jetdirect socket protocol - a general PostScript driver will not work.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 37 (8,808 Views)

[ Edited ]

This solution may work for printing but I doubt you can scan.

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). You can find the DHCP range of the router using its internal settings page or in its manual. Use the CD that came with your router or type the router's IP address (ends in .1) into a browser.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway and first DNS. Leave the second one blank.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
sccolorado
Message 7 of 37 (8,735 Views)

"You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). You can find the DHCP range of the router using its internal settings page or in its manual. Use the CD that came with your router or type the router's IP address (ends in .1) into a browser."

I'm having trouble with this step.  I do not have the manual or the CD that came with the router.  I am also unsure how to get to the internal settings page.  Thanks for your help!  

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 37 (8,725 Views)

What router?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
sccolorado
Message 9 of 37 (8,717 Views)

linksys wireless-G 2.4 GHz Broadband Router

Model WRT54G

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 37 (8,714 Views)

OK, your router's DHCP range is 192.168.1.100 to .149.  Let's use 192.168.1.200 for your printer.

If you want to get into the router's settings, type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of a web browser.  The login is left blank and the password is 'admin'.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation