HP Photosmart c4600 series - can't scan! (3935 Views)
Honor Student
tigerlily0816
Message 1 of 12 (3,935 Views)

HP Photosmart c4600 series - can't scan!

Hello,

I am trying to scan from my MAC (snow leopard) from my photosmart c4600 series printer.  Tried loading new software - the HP scan software can't find the scanner.

Tried using preview and image capture on mac - it finds printer on left side but says can't connect to scanner.

Help!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 12 (3,919 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart c4600 series - can't scan!

From where did you get the hp software?  Did it say it was for Snow Leopard (10.6)?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
tigerlily0816
Message 3 of 12 (3,916 Views)

Yes, it was on the HP site for Macs.  Here is link to what software I downloaded.  I did the top one, full feature for 10.6

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=219&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=37391...

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 12 (3,906 Views)

OK, it looks like you are using the right stuff - as long as you NEVER loaded the wrong stuff (like from the CD) and even later uninstalled it you are OK, otherwise, that is likely the problem.

In the mean time, let's reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
littlewing83
Message 5 of 12 (2,810 Views)

Hello,

I am having the same problem with my scanner not working. I bought the Cd to install Snow Leopard on my Mac. After that my HP Photosmart  c4680 wont scan. The printer works fine though. The scanner says " scan error- try scanning from the computer or see documentation" I tried to scan from image capture and it says "failed to open session on device." Please help, thank you.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 12 (2,787 Views)

Does the CD specifically say it is meant for 10.6 (not 10.5+)?

I am employed by HP
Student
csblum
Message 7 of 12 (2,064 Views)

I am trying to scan from my MAC OS x 10.6.8 from my photosmart c4600 series printer.  THe hp scan software can't find the scanner.  I have reloaded the software a number of times with no avail.  Please help.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 12 (2,009 Views)

If you are using Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion and have HP software for pre-Snow Leopard (either from a CD not marked as compatible with 10.6 -10.8 or you recently upgraded to Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion and had the HP software on your Mac before you upgraded - even if you did a standard uninstall of the old software or installed new software over the top of it) you must uninstall the software using the 'scrubber' option:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Press and hold Control + Alt + Cmd keys on the keyboard simultaneously while you click on Uninstall <<<< This IS the Scrubber Option, there is no button labeled "Scrubber"
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Download and install this: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Restart your Mac.

Now reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Student
spiritchild
Message 9 of 12 (439 Views)

[ Edited ]

After applying all the steps listed on this forum I was finally able to use the hp scanner from Image Capture. However, I don't have any of the HP software installed after applying the 'scrubber' option. How can I reinstall the HP software that allows me to scan and all other functions. I don't want to rerun the installation software and run the risk of losing the scanning ability again. What are the steps to get the software reinstalled with out breaking the scanning functionality. I have OS 10.6 installed. Thanks for your assistance.

I figured out that I could use the install disk that came with the printer to install only the software using a custom install. However, the scan software doesn't recognize the printer now.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 12 (420 Views)

Download and install the latest software for your printer from the "Support > Download drivers" link at the top of this page.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation