Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

With the release of OS X 10.9 Mavericks, HP is providing updated print drivers and software for your printer directly through Apple Software Update . You do not need to download a driver from HP to use your printer with Mavericks.

Depending on the printer functionality, one or more of the following HP software components might be included from Apple Software Update:

1. HP print driver
  2. HP Utility
  3. HP fax driver
  4. HP scanning files compatible with Apple’s Image Capture and Preview applications

NOTE 1: Please note that the scan drivers available from Apple Software Update, DO NOT resolve the HP Scan application issue.  There are known issues with HP Scan application and problems saving scanned images - HP is actively working to resolve those issues.  

NOTE 2:  Scan support, using Preview or Image Capture, for HP Inkjet All-in-Ones (Deskjet, Envy, many LaserJets, Officejet, and Photosmart) is included with the HP software available through Apple Software Update.  To  scan, you can use the Preview or Image Capture applications, or the Scan icon from the print driver queue.

NOTE 3:  'Scan to computer' is not supported using Preview or Image Capture.   HP Scan application must be used to ‘Scan to computer’.  HP is aware of  issues affecting HP Scan app and actively working to post more information here about availability and updates.

For the full list of HP products supported with Apple Software Update - click here - 

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669#HP

Information follows about how to use Apple Software Update to get the latest HP drivers and software for your HP product

Important: Use Software Update before connecting the printer. This updates your Mac's database of the latest supported printer and scanner models.  If you don't initiate Software Update before attempting to connect a new printer, you may not see available software when you connect your device.

1.       Click the Apple menu, and then click Software Update. Software Update checks for available updates and updates the database that your Mac uses to determine available printer software. 

2.       Go to System Preferences, Printers and Scanners pane, and click on the + to Add Printer.  The HP printer must be turned on and connected to your Mac on the same network or USB. 

3.       Select your HP product in the top list

4.       In the ‘Use’ field, select your HP model

5.       Note – the system may prompt you to use ‘AirPrint’ to create the printer queue.  If you want to use the HP driver and/or download the scan drivers, you must click on the Use field and select the HP Model in order to prompt the system to query and download the HP software from Apple Software Update.

Troubleshooting tip – if HP model name does not show in Use list, then you should launch Software Update, with printer NOT connected, to update hidden data base file in OSX with the full list of supported printers available from Apple Software Update.

6.       Follow the prompt and click ‘Add’ to download the HP software from Apple. 

7.       After the download is complete, and the printer queue is created, you should be able to scan via Apple Preview or Image Capture

Another option might be to download and install the full HP Driver package from Apple Software Update, fully compatible with new  OS X Mavericks

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl907

If this reply helped you, please say thanks by clicking the blue Kudos star.

I am an HP employee
59 REPLIES 59
HP Recommended

Any updates on when the scan feature is going to be addressed?

HP Recommended

There is an update that fixes the corrupted save scan issue for most of our current products.  There is a sticky post that lists the products that currently have an update available.  

HP Recommended

Lamentably, this did not solve my dilemma of saving a scanned document.  I get the following message: "An error has occurred saving the file because it could not be written to.  Check the properties for the file to make sure it is not read-only."  

Can anyone assist?

HP Recommended

Hi etrohs,

I'd like to help you be able to scan and save your scans onto the Mavericks operating system. Which printer do you have?

The following is a list is an example of printers that have full feature software and drivers available. The download package contains the full software solution for OS X 10.9 Mavericks including all necessary software and drivers.

• HP Photosmart 6510 series
  • HP Deskjet 4620 series
  • HP Officejet 7610 series
  • HP Officejet Pro 8600 series
  • HP ENVY 4500 series
  • HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One
  • HP Deskjet 3510 e-All-in-One Printer
  • HP Photosmart 7520 e-All-in-One Printer
  • HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One Printer series
  • HP Deskjet 3520 e-All-in-One series
  • HP Officejet 4620 e-All-in-One Printer series
  • HP Photosmart 7510 e-All-in-One Printer series - C311
  • HP Photosmart 5510 e-All-in-One Printer/Duplexer series - B111
  • HP ENVY 120 e-All-in-One Printer
  • HP ENVY 110 e-All-in-One Printer series - D411
  • HP Officejet 7110 Wide Format ePrinter series - H812
  • HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 4510 e-All-in-One Printer series
  • HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 3540 e-All-in-One Printer series
  • HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 6520 e-All-in-One Printer
  • HP ENVY 4500 series
  • HP Deskjet 3510 e-All-in-One Printer
  • HP Officejet 6700 e-All-in-One Printer series
  • HP Officejet 6600 e-All-in-One Printer series
  • HP ENVY 5530 e-All-in-One Printer series
  • HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5520 e-All-in-One series

To get the software, or check if your printer has the software, follow these instructions.

1. Open HP drivers from HP.com

2. Enter your product number.

3. Select your printer.

4. Select your operating system and click next.

5. Choose Driver Product Installation Software.

6. Download and install.

If your printer does not have software for Mavericks you can scan without it by using the Apples Print and Scan.

Apples Print and Scan Window, follow the steps below.

1. Place the item that you want to scan on the scanner glass, or load it into the automatic document feeder (ADF) if your printer has one.
  2. Click the Apple  menu, and then click System Preferences
  3. Click Print & Scan.
  4. Click your printer in the left pane.
  5. Click  Scan, and then click  Open Scanner.
  6. Click  Show Details. The details of the scan display, including options to change scan settings.
    Figure 1: Example of the Show Details scanning screen
    Image: Example of the Show Details scanning screen.
  7. Change any scan settings as necessary, and then click  Scan

I hope this is helpful.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

How do I down load a printer driver for my Hewlett Packard Deskjet D1460 series printer?

HP Recommended

Hi Anney,

This document explains how to install the print driver on a Mac for a USB or a network connection. The OS X v10.9 Mavericks driver for your printer is available through Apple Software Update (ASU). Click here > OS X v10.9 Mavericks: Installing and Using the Printer on a Mac.

This applies for the printers that do not have full feature software released for 10.9.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

The recommended Driver 4.0.4 installed and what gets printed is correct, BUT the HP Photosmart 3210 All-in-One exhibits additional, unusual behavior including (1) printing one additional page with a "2" (without quotes) in upper left corner, and then (2) hang up displaying (on printer) "Clear paper jam, then press OK." with flashing red asterisk. There is no paper jam and pressing OK does clear the situation until next time I print. System is Mac Pro Xeon quad running Mavericks 10.9 and printer plugged directly into computer. My long term solution has been to move the printer to another computer that doesn't use Mavericks but that is networked so that I still have access. That works. Was not experiencing any problems with scanning before I moved the printer, and haven't tried scanning since that time.

Best regards,

Robert Buckley

HP Recommended

Hi drbuckleyjr,

Here is a Critical HP Print Driver Update to address printing of an extraneous page.

Click on this link and download the patch. > Update Released: 2013-12-03

Let me know after you complete this patch if you experience any additional issues.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

will that link also work with my all-in-one?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.