Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
For what it's worth I did phone the HP 1-800 help number and after getting bounced around for awhile I did eventually get to talk to a HP person that was able to look up to determine if he had a program to run my HP 5P printer from my MacBook Air.
He told me that the 5P was an older printer and there was no software available for MacBook Air to run the 5P printer.
HP Recommended

Has HP yet figured out how to make its multiple-function Printer/FAX/Scan/Copy machines function with the Mac OS 10.9?  Many of us who started out on this help thread months and months ago are still waiting for an answer...if not an HP commitment to resolve the inability to scan or print using HP Photosmart C309 family of machines.

HP Recommended

I have a Laserjet 1300 connected via USB on my Mac, using OS X 10.9.5

I updated the HP drivers with Apple Software update (on Oct. 3, 2014) and ever since, I've been having problems printing PDFs. It sometimes prints two pages then stops, or doesn't print at all - with no error message. 

Turning it off and on or removing and reinstalling the printer did not solve the problem.

This printer never had any problems before.

Please let me know if this a known issue and/or if I can do anything about it

HP Recommended

Hi @AnnickD 

I would like to do the best I can to help you. Since the issue just arose when you did the latest update, let's remove it. Please complete the following steps and let me know the outcome;

1. From the computer desktop, double-click the Macintosh HD  icon.
  2. Double-click the Library folder.
  3. Double-click the Printers folder.
  4. Right-click the HP folder, and then select Move to Trash.
  5. When prompted, type the Administrator name and Password for the computer, and then click OK. Wait for authentication to complete.
  6. Double-click the PPDs  folder.
  7. Double-click the Contents  folder.
  8. Double-click the Resources  folder.
  9. Locate your printer in the printer list, and then right-click on your printer and select Move to Trash.
  10. When prompted, type the Administrator name and Password for the computer, and then click OK. Wait for authentication to complete.
  11. Click the Trash icon on the taskbar, click the Empty  button, and then click OK to empty the trash.

NOTEBy clicking OK, all items in your trash will be permanently deleted from your computer. To delete one item in the trash, click that item to highlight it, and then click OK.
  12. On the upper-left corner of the computer desktop, click the Apple menu icon, and then click System Preferences on the drop-down menu.
  13. Double-click Print & Scan.
  14. In the Printers list, click your HP printer, and then click the Minus button to delete it.
  15. Restart the computer and now you have a fresh start.
  16. Try scanning.

I look forward to hearing from you and will offer additional assistance if the issue remains unresolved. :smileyhappy:

For others having difficulties using your printer to scan from Mavericks, first check the HP web site to see if there is full feature software and drivers available now.  Drivers & Downloads.

If there is no full feature software and driver available from HP, the OS X v10.9 Mavericks driver for your printer is available through Apple Software Update (ASU).

With this driver you can still print and scan, you just wont have HP software to scan from. Scanning to the computer from the printer control panel is only available when using HP Scan software, thus it will not work because there is no HP scan software as apart of the Apple Software Update driver.

Instead, you can scan using,

• Method one: Scan from the Print & Scan window   

• Method two: Scan from Apple Preview

• Method three: Scan from Apple Image Capture 

I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions are have any difficulty using any of these methods, please let me know what method you are trying and what the issue/error is. You may also find the following document helpful; OS X v10.9 Mavericks: Installing and Using the Printer on a Mac

I hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I just experienced the same thing unablwe tro oprint and I just tried to go to printer and un the internet set up to network then it worked.

HP Recommended

I reconnected the HP 8600 Plus Pro tonight an dprinted once. Now I tried to print wirelessly form phone in other room  and again in the computer next to printer and nothing works.

Help

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi @Obiwon4luke 

This sounds to be more of a connection issue than an issue with Mavericks. Let's use the following document to troubleshoot the wireless connection; Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection.

I hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi, I have an iMac and I upgraded my OS to Yosemite a couple of days ago. Ever since the upgrade my printer won't scan. I can still print, but when I go to the HP Scan logo in my applications, and try to scan, I get this error:

The scan cannot be performed because another program has control of the HP imaging device.  Try the following steps.  After each step, try scanning again.

- Restart the program.

- Close all programs that may be using the device.

- Reboot the computer.

I have tried everything - closed all programs, restarted my computer, uninstalled HP, install HP drivers, but with no luck. Before upgrading to Yosemite it worked perfectly.

My printer is: HP Deskjet F4180.

I would appreciate any help I can get to resolve this.

Thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

Hi @sharon2906 

I would like to help you scan from your HP Deskjet F4180. Please try the following;

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon (   ), and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan  dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or  Ctrl  +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OK to confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name and Password.
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected
Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Repair Disk Permissions
  1. On the Dock, click Applications, and then click Utilities.
  2. Double-click Disk Utility.
  3. Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left (by default this is "Macintosh HD").
  4. Click the Repair Disk Permissions button at the bottom of the window.

Once the repair is complete, restart the computer and download and install the HP Printer Drivers for OS X.

Now when you add the printer, you should have the HP driver to choose.

1. Select Add other Printer or Scanner                                                       
    2. Select the printer you are adding and next to 'Use' you can the printer driver 

This document explains how to scan a document from a Mac running Yosemite. Although a full feature Yosemite driver is not available to download for your printer, you can scan from the Mac with the driver from Apple Software Update. Follow the steps in this document to install the driver, and then scan from either Apple Preview, Apple Image Capture, or the Print and Scan window.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I went thru the same process with the last OS X Update.  HP Support was very considerate and helpful, but in the end differed to Apple for the solution.  It's quite simple; I don't recall exactly, but tseem to remember that erasing the OS X already on my computer was not necessary.  However, that would be your next step if the solution below does not work.  Just use Disk Utility after connecting to the internet by WiFi.

OS X Mavericks: Reinstall OS X
Use the built-in recovery disk to reinstall OS X while keeping your files and user settings intact.
Important: You must be connected to the Internet to reinstall OS X.
  1. Choose Apple menu > Restart. Once your Mac restarts (and the gray screen appears), hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys.
  2. If you’re not connected to the Internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu (in the top-right corner of the screen).
  3. Select Reinstall OS X, then click Continue.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions. In the pane where you select a disk, select your current OS X disk (in most cases, it’s the only one available).
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.