Question

Honor Student
cwcbiker
Message 1 of 55 (83,494 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Scan Pro not working/Scanner not working Note: Still unresolved problem

[ Edited ]

I have recently installed snow leopard and haven't used the hp scan pro until just now.  I open it and it takes a while to load with the color wheel rotating and I have to force quit.  Before this it said that no scanner could be seen, so I reinstalled the software and now it notices it I guess because it doesn't display that error message.  I got it to start scanning but then it stopped half way through and had to quit.  Is there any updates or something new I need for the HP Officejet 6500 series?

Thank you. 

Message Edited by cwcbiker on 09-15-2009 08:17 AM
Message Edited by cwcbiker on 09-15-2009 08:18 AM
Message Edited by cwcbiker on 09-15-2009 08:18 AM
PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 2 of 55 (83,509 Views)

Re: HP Scan Pro not working/Scanner not working

Hi,

The HP Scan Pro software from the 10.5 software package doesn't work with Snow Leopard.  The scanning is built into Snow Leopard now. 

If you follow the directions in the following doc, it'll walk you through how to get it set up and running.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01846935&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

Honor Student
cwcbiker
Message 3 of 55 (83,484 Views)

Thank you.  I can scan via document feeder or flatbed via Image Capture and Preview.  However, when I click on System Preferences and then Print & Fax, there is no scan option.  I click on open print queue, but no scan option is available there.  Also, the logo of my printer has change to a different printer and doesn't look like mine at all, is this a problem?  Finally, using Image Capture and/or Preview I can scan using the document feeder, but I don't see the option to use the double siding scanning that I used to have via the HP Scan Pro application.  Preview and Image Capture seem to only let me scan one page per document if I do the flatbed.  I need multiple scans in one document.

Thank you. 

Tutor
bluestater
Message 4 of 55 (80,297 Views)

Re: HP Scan Pro not working/Scanner not working Note: Still unresolved problem

I got as far as being able to scan a document using Preview (the Image Capture and Printer Browser techniques don't work). But now how does one OCR the scan once it's made? I have ReadIRISPro, I think left over from the original HP software (for my PSC 2510), but that software doesn't give you Clue One about how to get to first base -- that is, how to get it to open a document. It just sits there. Formerly it was connected to the HP Device Manager, and you could tell the scanner to scan direct to OCR. I'm completely baffled. I have a MacBook 2.4GHz with the Intel Core 2 Duo chip, running Mac OS 10.6.2, and I've downloaded the latest wodge of printer drivers. Looks like Apple and HP between them have managed to screw up a relationship that worked perfectly well -- I've spent four hours getting as far as printing and scanning, but still can't OCR, which is, after all, one of the main purposes of scanning!
Student
curlygirlaz
Message 5 of 55 (73,577 Views)

[ Edited ]

that link really helped... just one question now....

can i uninstall all of the old HP software from my applications since its now built into Snow Leopard?  

thanks for letting me know....

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 55 (73,557 Views)

You can't uninstall what is built into Snow Leopard, but if there is HP software still in your Applications folder, you can uninstall it in the method referenced above to thoroughly get rid of it.

I am employed by HP
Student
aldomiro
Message 7 of 55 (73,391 Views)

Thanks for your help. Good solution, well stated. Saved me a lot of time and aggravation. 

Student
jaguariu
Message 8 of 55 (63,175 Views)

Re: HP Scan Pro not working/Scanner not working Note: Still unresolved problem

I bought the HP Photosmart C4600 all in one printer.  I manage to print and scan but cannot get the HP Scan Pro with OCR to work.  I go to the System Preferences / Print Fax / Open Scanner and find No Scanner Selected.  But there is no way to select the scanner.

I would like to use the OCR capabilities of the scanner but cannot get them (already tried the HP http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01846935&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US... to no avail.

I'll appreciate any help you can give me

Tutor
DrSA
Message 9 of 55 (59,987 Views)

Thank you.  I can scan via document feeder or flatbed via Image Capture and Preview.  However, when I click on System Preferences and then Print & Fax, there is no scan option.  I click on open print queue, but no scan option is available there. 

This is the identical problem I have since upgrading to Snow Leopard last week (and using updates to get up to 10.6.5).

I am using an Officejet 5600.  I have updated the printer drivers.  I can see it in "Print & Fax" in my system preferences panel.

I click on the "Scan" tab, then "Open Scanner."  I get a new window, with the message "No Scanner Selected" in the center of it.  The buttons in the upper right say "printer" and "scanner," with "scanner" clicked.  If I click "printer," I get my print queue, which says "printer ready." Clicking "scanner" again gets me "no scanner selected."  The "scan" button in the lower right is greyed out.

I have also tried scanning from Preview.  When I go to "File" and select "Import from Scanner," nothing happens.  A sub-menu from this option reads 'include networked devices" but this option is greyed out, though it is also checked.

And I have tried scanning from Image Capture.  It shows "no camera or scanner connected."

I need to scan documents to .pdfs very urgently for work.  I am distressed that what I could do last week, does not work this week, thanks to an OS update.

Student
Katt82
Message 10 of 55 (56,524 Views)

This is happening to me as well.  I reinstalled HP's drivers and found that my scanner options have been eliminated.  I'm operating on 10.5.8 Os X, so all I have been able to read about is that I should use image capture.  Well image capture shows no scanner connected.  There's no way to scan unless I press the button on the actual scanner.  That usually sends me to Preview with only one image scanned.  I have no options as to resolution or anything like I had in my previous scanning screens with HP Device Manager, which is affecting my work.   What's happening?  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation