Message 11 of 55 (11,911 Views)

Re: HP Scan Pro not working/Scanner not working

What printer?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
bgnickerson
Message 12 of 55 (11,800 Views)

I recently upgraded to Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3.  I have an HP Photosmart C6380 All-in-One.  Printing works

fine, but when I try to scan using HP Scan Pro, I get the message

Error Sorry, scanner could not be initialized. (Scanner not found.)

I tried all the suggested fixes I could find, including 

1. Preview, File -> Import from Scanner (this shows a submenu "Include Networked Devices" that is grayed out,

but does not show the HP C6380 as a possible option; yes, the HP C6380 was turned on.)

2. Image Capture (this displays the error message "No camera or scanner connected."  Again, the HP C6380 was

turned on when I tried this.)

3. Uninstalling HP software using HP Uninstaller, going to System Preferences -> Print & Fax -> + to add the drivers for

HP Photosmart C6300 series (took about 5 minutes, and seemed to work fine), then shutting down

the computer, and restarting. 

I was quite sure that doing 3. would work, but alas, no.  I still get the same error messages.

Is there anything I can do to get the scanner portion of the HP C6380 working?  It worked fine using HP Scan Pro in

OS X 10.5.8.  It seems that HP has not updated the Scan Pro portion of the drivers for the HP C6380 since Oct. 29, 2009.

Any help provided will be welcome.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 13 of 55 (11,789 Views)

First, you should be at 10.6.6.  Run Software Update (from the Apple menu) over and over until there are no more updates.

If you are using Snow Leopard and have HP software for pre-Snow Leopard (either from a CD not marked as compatible with 10.6 or you recently upgraded to Snow Leopard and had the HP software on your Mac before you upgraded - even if you did a standard uninstall of the old software or installed new software over the top of it) you must uninstall the software using the 'scrubber' option:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall <<<< Scrubber Option
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Restart your Mac

Now, run a Software Update.

Finally, download and install the "Full Featured" Driver and Software from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.

I am employed by HP
Student
rallison
Message 14 of 55 (11,749 Views)

I'm having the same problem, followed all the steps, and still not scanning.  Printing fine, but no scan.  Here's the error message on my Mac:

"The scan cannot be performed because another program has control of the HP imaging device.  Try the following steps.  After each step, try scanning again.
- Restart the program.
- Close all programs that may be using the device.
- Reboot the computer.
"

Also interesting that when I open HP Utility => Scanner from the Mac and try to "Choose an HP Scanning Device", it never finds my Photosmart 110 and keeps saying "0 devices found".

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Honor Student
bgnickerson
Message 15 of 55 (11,705 Views)

Regents:

After two major downloads (HP "Full Featured" Driver and Software for Mac OS X, 146 MB; upgrade to

Mac OS X 10.6.6 > 1 GB), following your directions worked.  My Photosmart C6380 All-in-One can now scan

using HP Scan software, and prints as before.  Your suggestion to

Highlight your device on the left pane
    Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall <<<< Scrubber Option

did not work.  The only printer showing up was another printer I previously installed, not the C6380, and the left pane

did not contain any selections.  I selected the previous printer anyway (on the right pane), and clicked on "Uninstall". 

I could not get "Uninstall <<<< Scrubber Option" to appear.  The Uninstall seemed to complete properly.  I then followed

the rest of your instructions, and, about 1.5 hours later, success :smileyhappy:.

Thanks

Student
yoshiom11
Message 16 of 55 (11,224 Views)

Re: HP Scan Pro not working/Scanner not working Note: Still unresolved problem

I recently installed Mac OS 10.6.6 Snow Leopard on my MacMini. Scan Pro no longer works. The screen appears however it will not scan as it did before. What is the problem? Thanks.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 17 of 55 (11,210 Views)

The problem and solution are in my post above.

I am employed by HP
Student
allyhops21
Message 18 of 55 (10,723 Views)

Hi, 

I am having a horrible time! I have found this thread helpful and I think I have halfway gotten to a resolution but still can not get my scanner to work period. I can print no problem but thats all.

When I try to scan from any of the sources I get an error-

Imagine Capture: No Devices

When I manually press scan on the HP C4680 I get this error: Sorry, scanner could not be initialized, an error has occurred communicating with the scanner

I added the device in system preferences- I am on 10.6.8 and just don't know what else to do. Can you help?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 19 of 55 (10,713 Views)

Scanning TO your Mac is likely to not work. Scan FROM your Mac - use Image Capture or HPScan.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
bgnickerson
Message 20 of 55 (10,703 Views)

I finally gave up trying to get my HP Photosmart C6380 All-in-One working with Mac OS Snow Leopard.  The print

head finally gave out, so I could neither print nor scan with it :smileysad:.  Attempts to purchase a new print head were

unsuccessful.  The Photosmart C6380 All-in-One was recycled.

My solution was

Samsung CLP-310 color laser printer

Epson Perfection V300 Photo scanner

Belkin USB 2.0 4-port Ultra-Mini Hub F5U407

All are working fine, with the exception of the Samsung CLP-310.  The CLP-310 prints fine the first time I use

it, but will not print the second time.  My solution is to cycle the power on the CLP-310.  I am currently running

Mac OS X version 10.6.8.  I suspect Samsung needs to update their CLP-310 driver for Mac OS X.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation