Question
HP Scan Pro not working/Scanner not working Note: Still unresolved problem
Replies (54)

Honor Student
tduim57
Message 21 of 55 (3,498 Views)

Re: HP Scan Pro not working/Scanner not working

If I run the HP uninstaller to remove the old version of HP Scan Pro which no longer works with Mac OS 10.6.3, will it just remove that software or will it remove my HP Photosmart series 4400 driver/software with it?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 22 of 55 (3,495 Views)

It should allow you to choose which printer(s) to uninstall.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
susanjf
Message 23 of 55 (3,462 Views)

Re: HP Scan Pro not working/Scanner not working Note: Still unresolved problem

I spent 2 hours this morning trying to solve this same problem  So mad about the "upgrade". The only way I managed to scan a photo was by using the usb cable, which kind of defeats the whole point of a wireless printer.  I'm really, really disappointed that Apple and HP messed up something that worked so well before. I wish I could solve this problem.

Top Student
psychgeek
Message 24 of 55 (3,383 Views)

I have completed each and every step detailed above as expected.

If I try to scan using my Airport Express, HP Scan cannot find a connected scanner.

If I try to scan connecting the C4680 directly to my Mac via USB, HP Scan Pro still cannot find a scanner. (See error description below w/ Adobe Photoshop.)

If I try using my C4680, connected via USB, with either the programs Image Capture or Preview the programs DO successfully find the scanner (huzzah!); however, after I choose the scanner, I get this:

Trying to open scanner session....

Failed to open a session on the device.

From Adobe Photoshop:

File- Import- HP Scan- Choose an HP Scanning Device- Found zero devices

I have spent several hours on this problem on two different occasions now. This is a signifigant problem for me today as I need this document for a job interview. This problem has existed on this forum for 2 years now... What is the problem?!

PLEASE, I need this fixed. Thank you!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 25 of 55 (3,380 Views)

You cannot scan from a printer that is connected to an Airport via USB.  It will only print on that port (by design).

So, if you want to scan you will have to have a direct USB connection and add that direct connection to your Mac:

1. Plug the printer directly into your Mac (not through any other device like a USB hub).

2. Open System Preferences > Print & Fax

3. Click on the '+' sign at the bottom of the list of printers

4. When it finds your printer change its name so you can tell it apart from the Airport instance of the same printer and then click 'Add'.

Restart your Mac.

You should be able to scan.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
psychgeek
Message 26 of 55 (3,375 Views)

Thank you for the prompt reply. It looks like I will have to go to my partner's place of business to get this scanned and printed.

I had actually already added the printer/scanner to the printer window as a USB device, separate from the airport version. Since I had failed to restart my computer after doing so, I decided to delete this occurrence of the printer/scanner, follow your instructions and restart my machine.

I followed your instructions

I restarted my MacBook

I attempted to scan directly from the scan screen in the Print/Fax window. I obtained the exact same behavior as before.

I tried to scan from Preview- same thing. My computer finds the scanner, but cannot "open a scanner session on this device.'

I am exhausted.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 27 of 55 (3,372 Views)

If you are on OS X 10.5 or higher, I have one more idea: reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
psychgeek
Message 28 of 55 (3,320 Views)

Thank you once again for trying to help me with this problem.

I was able to obtain the documents I needed for the interview elsewhere, but am still trying to get my own machine to work.

I did as you suggested and Restet all Printing. All printers were removed.

I plugged in the HP C4680 via USB, my Macbook found it and added it right away.

I did a software update.

The HP Pro Drivers were still on my machine.

I tried to scan!! *crossed fingers*

It did scan from the Print window by pressing scan where it says print/scan, then pressing scan again in the scanner window.

It did scan the item!

However, before I could save it as anything it said "HP Photosmart C4600 series" Scanner disconnected and it disappeared.

I hadn't moved. I was perplexed. I tried again from the basic scan program, same results.

I tried from image capture- it confirmed the disconnected message by not being able to find the scanner until I unplugged it and plugged it back into my MacBook USB. Once this was done, it found the printer and performed the scan- but again, before I could save it anywhere, it said it was disconnected.

I am perplexed. Any ideas?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 29 of 55 (3,319 Views)

What version of OS X is this?  From where did you get the HP software for your printer?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
psychgeek
Message 30 of 55 (3,317 Views)

I run OS 10.6.8

Originally I made the mistake of running the CD that came with the printer- which I attempted to fix by following your previous instructions.

Following your instruction to reset the printing system I ran the Apple system update to get the printer software I needed, and have the HP PhotoSmart Studio package you explained how to download in the list of instructions on page 2 of this question.

Since I posted this I have checked, and my print functions are fine, the scanner just seems to have a mind of its own. I appreciate your assistance. I am beginning to think I have a gremlin and need to take the laptop and printer to the Apple store. This is just a bit of a hardship as I currently have a rib injury.

Thanks again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation