Question
HP Scan Pro not working/Scanner not working Note: Still unresolved problem
Replies (54)

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 31 of 55 (4,392 Views)

Re: HP Scan Pro not working/Scanner not working

Are you sure you uninstalled with the scrubber option?  If you are not sure, load the wrong software from the CD again and then 'scrub' it.

Restart

Reset the printing system.

Get the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
psychgeek
Message 32 of 55 (4,381 Views)

Thanks for all of your assistance. I am quite certain I uninstalled using the scrubber option. That was the major difference between my trying to fix it this time and when I tried in July. At this point I'll say I received great customer support- but my problem did not seem to want to be fixed, sight unseen.

Thanks again :smileyhappy:

Student
JohnBarnesSF
Message 33 of 55 (3,895 Views)

Re: HP Scan Pro not working/Scanner not working Note: Still unresolved problem

Actually there is a workaround in Mac 10.6 for HP All-in-One scanners but it's remarkably unintuitive; I only found it after hours of tinkering. 

1. Scan the document using HP Scan.If it's multiple pages, you have to scan all the pages first.

2. Crop each page as needed to get rid of marginal page numbers etc.

3. Select Save in the menu above the document

4. Use the selection window that will be showing you PDF--Image Only; you will find PDF -- Text Only in that window.  Select that.

5. Adjust other OCR variables like language as needed, set file name and location, the usual.

6. Save it.  Now you have a text PDF. 

7. Open the text PDF with Adobe Reader or Preview.  Select all text, copy it.

8. Paste into TextEdit.

Honor Student
Jonioco
Message 34 of 55 (3,684 Views)

Help!  Since I upgraded to Snow Leopard, I cannot use my scanner.

My computer will not communicate with the scanner.  I have tried everything I can think of.  In fact, my computer would not communicate at all with my printer at all after the update.  Presently, the printer works about 90% of the time with the remainder of time shooting out several pages with a heart or star or other symbol on it and saying the printer was paused.  (Which it wasnt, at least by me it wasnt)  I need to scan an important and timely document.  Please help me figure this out.  I am so frustrated!

Joni

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 35 of 55 (3,682 Views)

If you are using Snow Leopard or Lion and have HP software for pre-Snow Leopard (either from a CD not marked as compatible with 10.6 or you recently upgraded to Snow Leopard or Lion and had the HP software on your Mac before you upgraded - even if you did a standard uninstall of the old software or installed new software over the top of it) you must uninstall the software using the 'scrubber' option:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Press and hold Control + Alt + Cmd keys on the keyboard simultaneously while you click on Uninstall <<<< This IS the Scrubber Option, there is no button labeled "Scrubber"
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Restart your Mac

Download and install this: support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Now reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Jonioco
Message 36 of 55 (3,677 Views)

Hi, Thanks for your help but the scanner is still not working.  I did everything step by step as you said and then I tried to scan something and the message I recieved was, "An error occurred while communicating with the scanner".  

Do you have any other suggestions?

Honor Student
Jonioco
Message 37 of 55 (3,676 Views)

WAIT!  It is working!  I was able to scan a document!  It had to think a long time but it worked!  Thank you, Thank you!

Student
pmancine
Message 38 of 55 (3,009 Views)

My hp printer 8600 will not scan to my computer (says scanner not found)

Honor Student
Tyrley
Message 39 of 55 (1,927 Views)

My 4890 scanner hasn't worked since I upgraded to Lion via Snow Leopard. I've used the procedure you detailed but when I open Image capture it still tells me that there is no devide connected. The scanner does show as being connected to my USB High speed bus when I check with the computer system information.

What do you suggest I do next?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 40 of 55 (1,924 Views)

Try this: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15...

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation