Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8500A Premium
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

I am using OS X Yosemite (version 10.10.3).  On June 19, 2015 I updated the HP Printer Software Update (version 3.1).  From System Preferences > Printers & Scanners > Options & Supplies > Options, I select the HP Two-sided Printing Accessory (Duplexer).  My printer will print two sided, however, the selected option "HP Two-sided Printing Accessory (Duplexer)" is not retained - it reverts back to the default of un-checked.  Do I have to check this option each time I print, or is there a way to have the option saved?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try resetting the printing system and check if that may help:

*Be aware that resetting the printer system will remove any existing print queue and reset any customized driver settings.

Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences .
Select Printers & Scanners.
Right-click (or Ctrl + click) your product in the Printers list in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system .
Click OK to confirm the reset.
Type your user Name and Password .
Click OK . The printing system resets.

Click the plus sign and add the printer again.

Click the Use drop down menu and select the printer model instead the default AirPrint option.

Now check for any difference.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try resetting the printing system and check if that may help:

*Be aware that resetting the printer system will remove any existing print queue and reset any customized driver settings.

Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences .
Select Printers & Scanners.
Right-click (or Ctrl + click) your product in the Printers list in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system .
Click OK to confirm the reset.
Type your user Name and Password .
Click OK . The printing system resets.

Click the plus sign and add the printer again.

Click the Use drop down menu and select the printer model instead the default AirPrint option.

Now check for any difference.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hello,

I am having the same issue, and the provided solution did not work: the printer still defaults back to not having the duplex (two-sided) option available. Thsi means I must repeatedly return to the Officejet Pro 8500 A910 app in order to click the box next to "HP Two-sided Printing Accessory (Duplexer)". This appears to be a problem with the latest update.

Note that I am on a Mac.

Please let me know what else to try.

Thanks,
Lee

HP Recommended

Despite this thread being marked "solved" it is, in fact, still a problem. Will anyone from HP actually address this duplex issue?

HP Recommended

I am also still having the issue.  I have posted the question on the Apple support forum with the same subject line.

HP Recommended

A solution from the Apple Support Forum seems to be working (it also will retain scan settings):

"You should not have to check this option each time you print. It should stay checked in the Options menu once you make the selection and press the OK button.

If you were to create another printer but this time use AirPrint instead of the HP 8500 driver, are you able to print two sided? I ask because with the AirPrint driver you don't have to enable a duplex setting via the Options tab. The AirPrint driver communicates with the printer when creating the queue so if the printer supports duplex then it should be available in the AirPrint driver."

HP Recommended

I tried the suggestionfron Shlomil.  I had to reset HP and my labe printer--but not I can't even access the settings option to get me to the duplex settings.  Having to go through all those steps to get to the duplex option was annoying and a pain--but at least I could get to that option.  Really, really annoying.

HP Recommended

I have the Air-Print as the "Kind" but still not able to get to the option for the duplex printer accessory.

HP Recommended

I have encountered the same problem, Off.Jet 6500; Mac 10.8; the problem has not always been there and occurs since the latest SW update,: HP-duplex check is unchecked the moment the job is removed from the queue after printing.

Resetting the printer as advised in this forum put me backward a few more km: I had SW 4.2.2 with an Option tab in the setting and now I have gone back to version 1 without the option tab.

HP: Take your responsibility and SOLVE this !!!

HP Recommended

After following all the suggestions without success I gave up in frustration.  Later when I rebooted the duplex printer was functional.  So perhaps I needed to restart to save the preferences or something?

However...... now everything prints 2-sided so I guess I'll have to now figure out how to select single side only.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.