Question

Honor Student
rachaelr
Message 1 of 8 (2,495 Views)

HP c5180 and Snow Leopard 10.6.3 - unable to see printer over bonjour

Hi,

I'm having issues printing with Bonjour over the network with this printer.

I can't see it at all in Bonjour services (using Bonjour Browser the service doesn't show up) - other Bonjour services work fine over the same network - ie I can chat to another laptop via bonjour etc. Printer doesn't show up in the Safari Bonjour browser either.

I would rather not use IP printing, as the printer isn't set with a static IP.... network only has a single subnet.

Have reset the printing system, and run all software updates (most recent printing update is HP Printer Drivers Update 2.3). Can browse to the printer web interface - works fine. 

Printing and scanning when plugged in via USB work fine, but I'm not often in the office next to the printer :smileyhappy:

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Rachael

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 8 (2,481 Views)

Re: HP c5180 and Snow Leopard 10.6.3 - unable to see printer over bonjour

Do you happen to have software for 10.5 on your Mac (like from the printer disc or recently upgraded to 10.6)?  If so, let's get rid of it:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Now, run a Software Update.

Next, remove and re-install the printer in System Preferences, Print & Fax.

You do not need the software now since Snow Leopard has both print & scan drivers built-in. Scan from Preview or Image Capture apps. Scanning from the front panel of the printer does not yet work.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
rachaelr
Message 3 of 8 (2,461 Views)

Hi,

This is a new MacBook, only ever had 10.6 installed.

However... I did have a set of Printer software installed that a HP tech got me to install a few weeks ago, when doing a region change on our printer. I removed that (just by trashing the apps and the related .plist files), but might something still be hanging about causing probs?

thanks

Rachael

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 8 (2,449 Views)

There could be.  Good job deleting the plist files, but there may be more.  Can you re-install it and then uninstall it with the method above?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
rachaelr
Message 5 of 8 (2,392 Views)

Hi,

Yep, I've reinstalled, and then run the uninstaller, rebooted everything and no luck :smileysad:

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 8 (2,374 Views)

Have you rebooted your router?

You could try to set a static IP to solve the problem:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address). If you do not know this, enter the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank. Click 'Apply

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Teacher
andmalc
Message 7 of 8 (2,356 Views)

Possible old HP software remaining on your Mac would not prevent your printer from being seen as a Bonjour device.

Like the Print Doc guy said, make sure you've tried unplugging/plugging in the power to your router.  You can also try unplugging the power to the printer, waiting 1 minute, and plugging it in again.

Visit the printer web interface, go to Networking, and look around here for the setting to enable MDNS - make sure that's checked since Bonjour is a type of MDNS.

If still no go, connect the printer directly to your Mac by Ethernet and turn the printer off and on again.  Does it now show up in the Bonjour Browser?  If so, your router is for some weird reason blocking the Bonjour to the printer (although not to other services like you said earlier).

Student
kaapsehaas
Message 8 of 8 (1,768 Views)

I'm so happy my problem is finally solved! I couldn't scan wireless (through network) but now I can. Thank you very much! 

I also wanted to mention that, in order to print, you have to add the printer via Bonjour, and in order to scan, you have to add the scanner (which is actually the same device) as Shared Printer. So you have to add the same device twice, both as printer and as scanner. I hope I made myself clear. :smileytongue:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation