Re: Help! Power outage, now c309a won't connect to wireless router (1646 Views)
Honor Student
angryjulie
Message 1 of 7 (2,192 Views)

Help! Power outage, now c309a won't connect to wireless router

After power outage, c309a doesn't connect wirelessly. I've tried going through wireless setup, but it doesn't read the router. Router (Airport Extreme) is working fine. Tried restoring default settings to start over. Wireless radio is turned on, but when I print the setup info, it says the wireless radio is not working. 

What to do now? Thanks for any ideas.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 7 (2,184 Views)

Re: Help! Power outage, now c309a won't connect to wireless router

You can try a reset:

Turn the printer off.

Hold the # and 6 keys while and a bit after turning it back on.

If this does not work, the radio has died.  Is it still under warranty?

I am employed by HP
Student
dubulon
Message 3 of 7 (1,976 Views)

I have the same problem. After spending hours and hours on the phone with HP we discovered that the IP address changes when the power goes out. I think the printer tries to hook up with the old IP address. I don't yet know how to make see the new one. There is nothing wrong with your printer. No need to check your warranty or whatever the other guy said. Let me know if you figure out how to change the IP address on the printer.

Cheers!

Master's Graduate
Hubbs
Message 4 of 7 (1,973 Views)

The IP Address of the router should remain the same - most apple routers are 10.0.1.1 by default. Unless static IP addressing is set up on the router (not likely in most home environments) the printer should receive a new leased IP from the router via DHCP.

1. If the router is working normally, I would recommend logging into the EWS for the router and ensuring the following:

- DHCP is enabled (note the IP range for the leases)

- MAC Filtering is disabled (or that the printer's MAC address is in the list of allowed addresses)

- The SSID is broadcasting (not hidden) - note the name. If a generic name, try changing to something more specific so as not to cause conflicts/confusion with neighbors who may have the same router.

2. If the product is not able to see the SSID after completing the previous items, try the reset as PrintDoc indicated.

3. If after the reset the printer is still reporting that the wireless radio is not functioning, service the product.

Note: There is a way to manually change the IP adress of a product from within the networking menu, but if the wireless radio is not functioning, and the product doesn't see the SSID; changing the IP manually will not help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP Employee
Click the KUDOS Star to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Top Student
dundeedudes
Message 5 of 7 (1,964 Views)

Please help with the technical part like where is the log in for the EWS for the router?

Master's Graduate
Hubbs
Message 6 of 7 (1,914 Views)

To log into the EWS of the router, you need to know the IP address of the router; this varies by manufacturer.

To find out the IP of the router, do the following:

1. Log in to a computer that is currently connected to the network.

2. Click the Apple in the upper left-hand corner, Click System Preferences

3. Click Network

4. Click to highlight your connection type (For this example, we'll use Airport/Wireless), click Advanced

Screen shot 2011-04-22 at 4.05.20 PM.png

5. Click the TCP/IP tab to view the router IP address

Screen shot 2011-04-22 at 4.05.41 PM.png

Once you have the IP address of the router, type it into the address bar of a web browser window (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, etc) to access the EWS. Enter login credentials if you know them (if you don't know the login info, check the router documentation for the default login. Alternately, you can search on google for this info and find it fairly quickly).

If you need instructions for finding this info using a Windows PC, let me know and I can provide that; I just posted the Mac instructions due to the location of the post :smileywink:

Let me know if any of the other steps require further explanation.

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP Employee
Click the KUDOS Star to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Honor Student
madeinamerica
Message 7 of 7 (1,646 Views)

I had this issue (endlessly searching for network...) when I moved my C309a printer from the room with the wireless router. It still couldn't find the network when I took it back in the room with the router. After an hour on the phone with HP tech support trying to sell me another printer, it occurred to me that maybe the printer needed to be connected to a computer via the usb port. Did that. Got a message saying something about 'not compatible'. I clicked ignore. Then I went through the wireless setup wizard steps on the printer and viola! I'm printing wirelessly from computers all over the house. The only issue is, the signal for the C309a is so weak in its new location (about 50 ft away) until I need to keep it connected to the computer (a MAC 10.6.8, by the way) using the USB in order for all the devices to print wirelessly. Kinda blows because I don't remember seeing the range issue when I bought the thing. Anyway, I hope this helps someone.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation