HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
03-21-2009 04:09 PM
I just spent the last 3 hours trying to get my p1006 to print wirelessly with my airport express. There is a lack of good information online regarding this, and the conventional wisdom is that the p1006 does not support network printing. I knew this was false because I easily got my mac to print through the airport express. Getting my XP laptop to do so was a lot harder.
Generally, the way you set up a XP computer to print via the airport express is to add a tcp/ip port and put in the IP address. This was not working with the p1006. What I did was the following:
1. Download "Bonjour" for windows from apple and install it.
2. Connect the p1006 to your airport and turn the printer on
3. Run the bonjour printer wizard It *should* detect the p1006.
4. Install the printer using the wizard. (If the p1006 drivers are not on the driver list, I would suggest connecting the p1006 to your computer directly via USB and installing a traditional copy that way to ensure the drivers are correctly installed on your computer. Then erase this printer - or rename it as "p1006 USB" or something and go back to step 2 - the p1006 drivers should be on the driver list at this point)
5. "Normal" (meaning non-p1006) printers should work at this point, so you might want to try to print a test page just for the hell of it. Unfortunately, at least with my p1006, windows generates a printing error message immediately. I solved this by going to "printers" in the control panel, then right-clicking on the printer and selecting "properties"
6. Click on the "ports" tab and be sure to DISABLE "bi-directional support" (this is a checkbox)
At this point, the p1006 printed wirelessly for me. I hope this post will prove useful to some people having similar issues.
08-02-2009 12:02 PM
I saw your post and could use your help. I have a p1006 connected to a newly purchased airport extreme and cannot get it to print. The p1006 does not seem to be on the lists I have seen that will work with the Airport. How did you get it to work?