How to change default scan location. (20154 Views)
Honor Student
GuyOnTheAir
Message 1 of 10 (20,154 Views)

How to change default scan location.

Hello,

I have an iMac with SL 10.6.1 and Photosmart C4480.  First off, I'd like to note that HPs dealing with SL and their products is HORRIBLE.  I got very lucky to find a software download that worked, but many documents claim it should just work in SL with Preview, Image Capture, etc, which it doesn't, for me, at all.

In any case, loaded the latest HP software I stumbled upon, and everything seems to work.  Can even scan from the C4480 itself.  However, when I do that,  a program called "Open In Preview" starts up.  The document scans, and is saved to User>Documents>Pictures, and then opened in the Preview application.  But, I'd just like it to open in the Preview app, or have it ask me where to save it, or if nothing else, allow me to set a default location where scans would be saved.  Is this possible at all?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 10 (20,150 Views)

Re: How to change default scan location.

Yes, this is possible.  I like scanning with Image Capture.  On the right side there is a pull-down with scan-to destination.  Pull it down, choose 'Other' and pick your folder, sub-folder, etc.

You said Preview and Image Capture do not work for you.  Have you pulled down the "Shared" list on the left side? 

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
GuyOnTheAir
Message 3 of 10 (20,145 Views)

I don't know about the Shared thing, but Image Capture and Preview think that no scanner is connected.  I've deleted the printer from Fax and Print a dozen times and whatnot.  Still doesn't work through the built-in OS apps.
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 10 (20,138 Views)

The printer is connected with USB?   The shared thing does not work in that case (it is for network-attached printers).  Sorry.

Try either replacing the USB cable and/or NOT going through a USB hub. 

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
GuyOnTheAir
Message 5 of 10 (20,132 Views)

Well, good news.  I forced an Apple Software Update, and it found some new drivers (HP 2.2).  After a reboot, and power cycle of the C4480 (as it thought it was scanning even when computer was off, and  you couldn't turn scanner off any other way), I can now scan from the Preview and Image Capture apps.  And, like you said, I can choose "other", and save where I want.

However, back to the original question.  I want to be able to choose the destination of a scan originated on the C4480 by choosing Scan/Reprint>Scan to PC.  When I press those buttons, the HP "Open In Preview" application starts up, and saves a scan into User>Documents>Pictures.  But, I'd just like it to open in the Preview app, or have it ask me where to save it, or if nothing else, allow me to set a default location where scans would be saved.  Is this possible at all?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 10 (20,130 Views)

The 'scan from printer' functionality for Snow Leopard clearly needs some work.  For the time being, just initiate your scans from your Mac.

Can you open the "Open in Preview" application and adjust the Preferences?  It is likely in Applications, Hewlett-Packard folder. 

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
GuyOnTheAir
Message 7 of 10 (20,114 Views)

No, there are no options in the application.  And it is buried way deep somewhere else, not in that location.
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 10 (20,107 Views)

OK, I recommend that for the time being, that you just scan from Image Capture or Preview.

I am employed by HP
jbj Top Student
Top Student
jbj
Message 9 of 10 (19,892 Views)

Hey, I just got off the phone with HP support. I was told it's impossible to change the default action/location for the Scan button on the F4480. But guess what? I did it. Here's how:

Open folder " /Users/(username)/Library/Application Support/Hewlett-Packard/Workflows/Shortcuts"

Delete, archive, or otherwise make unavailable the options you don't want.

The remaining one becomes the default.

Actually, I only tried this leaving the "Add to iPhoto Library" shortcut, but it worked a treat.

NB I tried this in the "/Library/Application Support/Hewlett-Packard/Workflows/Shortcuts" folder at first, and it didn't work, but I left it as I'd changed it, so it's possible both folders need attention, and not just the user folder.

Top Student
Justin123
Message 10 of 10 (4,468 Views)

This was helpful to figure it out under Windows!

The file you need to edit in windows is 

c:\users\(username)\AppData\local\HP\ScanApp.ini

The profile is  [SCAN_PROFILE_2] I believe (ProfileNameENU will be "Document to File"). There are two relevant lines:

BaseFileName =Scan

SaveFolder=K:\Users\(username)\Documents\

In my case both of those had been changed to be something totally wrong. Once I changed them back to the above entries Scan to Computer scanned to the correct folder with the correct filename!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation