Question

Honor Student
srlock
Message 1 of 6 (431 Views)

How to connect Deskjet 3050A to AirPort Extreme Base using MAC OS 10.9

I am having trouble connecting my printer to a new (to me) router and newly purchsed iMac (OS 10.9.2).  

I had no problems adding the printer to the computer using the USB cable.  Found that extremely easy.  Also had no problems using a cable to the router, allowing me to print wirelessly from the computer to the printer wired to the router.  

What I am after is being able to print wirelessly to the printer that is neither connected to the computer or to the router. 

Thanks,

Seth

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 6 (412 Views)

Re: How to connect Deskjet 3050A to AirPort Extreme Base using MAC OS 10.9

Does your new router have a WPS button?  If so, on the printer, press the wireless button and choose Restore Defaults, then in the same menu start WPS-pushbutton method.

Within 2 minutes press the WPS button on the router.  Now the printer will be connected to the network.

Reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Defualt tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and then next to the "Use" pulldown, select the printer model (not AirPrint). Wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
srlock
Message 3 of 6 (374 Views)

No,  failed to mention that am using an AirPort Extreme Base Station. 

Originally printer had been connected to PC laptop through Belkin router and worked great wirelessly.  Purchased new iMac and received hand-me-down AirPort router.  Trying to be able to print from my iMac, wirelessly to printer through AirPort router.  

Hope that this clears it up.  

Additionally, my significant other tells me that the scan to computer is not working either.  She is on me to get this working....or else.  Not sure what else she is planning.  

Thanks for your help. 

Seth

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 6 (368 Views)

OK, great, this can be done!

On the front of the printer touch the Wireless button, then choose Restore Defaults.

In the same Wireless menu, start WPS > Pushbutton.

Within 2 minutes:

1. Open Finder on your Mac and go to Applications > Utilities > Airport Utility.  Open it.

2. Click on the Airport, then on the Edit button in the resulting window.

3. On the Menu Bar at the top of your screen: Base Station > Add WPS Printer > FIrst Attempt.

That should connect your printer to your wireless network.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
srlock
Message 5 of 6 (354 Views)

You are amazing....but we aren't all the way there yet.  

I follwed your instructions, and it worked like a champ.  Then, I tried to print a test page, to no avail.  So, I went to the Apple Menu > System Preferences > Printers & Scanners 

Then I attempted to add the printer, by pressing the + sign, and adding printer.  I see the HP printer that I want to use.  I select it, and then it attempts to "Set Up" printer, with a status bar showing "Configuring the device...".  After approximately 1 minutes it gives me a message box stating "Unable to communicate with printer at this time."

The printer Wireless LED is solid blue.  So I believe that portion of the connection is correct.  I think that there is a step that I am not getting correct.  Do I need to install the drivers for it from the HP website?  

You have been most helpful.  Keeping me out of the doghouse.  Thanks.  

Seth

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 6 (351 Views)

OK, restart your Airport and your Mac and try again.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation