Question

Honor Student
SusanPhil
Message 1 of 10 (20,742 Views)

How to preset printer to black and white print only

I have and OfficeJet J6480 printer and use a Macbook OS X v 10.5.8.  How do I preset the printer to print in black ink only?

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 10 (20,724 Views)

Re: How to preset printer to black and white print only

1. From the application used to printer, click the File menu, select Print. The Print window appears.
NOTE: The Print window might be minimized. Click the blue triangle next to the product model to see all available settings.

2. To select the Color Mode, click the lowest selection box listed as the name of the program (e.g. TextEdit)
Will appear as Copies & Pages within Microsoft Office applications.

3. Select Paper Type/Quality from the drop-down menu.

4. Click the triangle next to Color to expend the color options.

There you will see an option to select Grayscale printing and Black Ink Only printing.

You may save the settings for future use by clicking Presets > Save Current Settings as Preset...

Regards,

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
kjhussey
Message 3 of 10 (20,003 Views)

I don't have those options. I'm on an iMac (OSX 10.7.3) trying to print from mail.app to an HP OfficeJet Pro 8600. I can't find a setting to make it print in B&W.
Student
cptdick2
Message 4 of 10 (18,551 Views)

Re: How to preset printer to black and white print only[ New ]

I don't have those options. I'm on an iMac (OSX 10.7.3) trying to print from mail.app to an HP Office 6100. I can't find a setting to make it print in B&W.
Honor Student
Lenno
Message 5 of 10 (16,564 Views)

I have the same with a HP Photosmart C4480. In the print window, there are only two options COLOR OR GRAYSCALE.

Where is the black and white.

Surely the HP Expert can answer this.

I have found the C4480 an absolutely awful printer to use. The software is very slow and cumbersome.

It is the LAST HP product I will purchase.

It is extremely rude of a so called Expert to ignore the previous poster.

Customer Service?????

Master's Graduate
Mandy_G
Message 6 of 10 (16,560 Views)

Hi Lenno, 

the steps for your printer to select print with Black Print Cartridge only are exactly as described by Shlomi before.

If you have added your printer with HP print drivers, then you will find in the Paper Type & Quality panel of the Print dialog the Color Options (it looks a bit different than the drop-down for Quality etc.).

If you click the little triangle next to Color Options to expand the options you will find a drop-down for Color - please select Grayscale here. You can then choose next to Grayscale mode the option "Black Print Cartridge Only".   

Best regards,
Mandy

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Thumb up in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own
Honor Student
dommer
Message 7 of 10 (15,044 Views)

This is driving me nuts. It is so complicated to weave my way through getting the printer to print in BW only that I am sure that it has been designed to make it extremely difficult. I have managed to do it once or twice, but cannot duplicate it again. I have a Photosmart 7520. I am using a I Mac with an OS 10.6.8. I am accessing the printer via my own LAN. Printing a MAC pages docment. I looked a the forum posts and found that Shlomil now tells he how to save the   by clicking Presets and doing a save current presets.

However, I can't get back to the situation that say print black only. When I do get the vey small triangle and click on it it says that I can't do that selection.

I am convinced that this is because HP want to me to use all collors to print in BW so as to use all of the ink supplies.

This situation is rediiculous. I should be an option at the very top of the Printer selection, not just for low res fast print

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 8 of 10 (15,026 Views)

Did you locate where to change the print color options? It might not say anything about printing in black and white only. Sometimes it will say "grayscale", which is the same as black and white mode. 

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Student
GregMac
Message 9 of 10 (14,321 Views)

Take out the color cartridge.

Student
hockey7
Message 10 of 10 (6,392 Views)

i have hp photosmart 5520
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation