01-28-2012 08:41 AM
1. From the application used to printer, click the File menu, select Print. The Print window appears.
NOTE: The Print window might be minimized. Click the blue triangle next to the product model to see all available settings.
2. To select the Color Mode, click the lowest selection box listed as the name of the program (e.g. TextEdit)
Will appear as Copies & Pages within Microsoft Office applications.
3. Select Paper Type/Quality from the drop-down menu.
4. Click the triangle next to Color to expend the color options.
There you will see an option to select Grayscale printing and Black Ink Only printing.
You may save the settings for future use by clicking Presets > Save Current Settings as Preset...
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution
06-19-2012 11:08 PM
09-05-2012 11:22 AM
06-19-2012 10:08 PM
01-25-2013 06:50 AM
I have the same with a HP Photosmart C4480. In the print window, there are only two options COLOR OR GRAYSCALE.
Where is the black and white.
Surely the HP Expert can answer this.
I have found the C4480 an absolutely awful printer to use. The software is very slow and cumbersome.
It is the LAST HP product I will purchase.
It is extremely rude of a so called Expert to ignore the previous poster.
01-25-2013 07:57 AM
the steps for your printer to select print with Black Print Cartridge only are exactly as described by Shlomi before.
If you have added your printer with HP print drivers, then you will find in the Paper Type & Quality panel of the Print dialog the Color Options (it looks a bit different than the drop-down for Quality etc.).
If you click the little triangle next to Color Options to expand the options you will find a drop-down for Color - please select Grayscale here. You can then choose next to Grayscale mode the option "Black Print Cartridge Only".
Say "Thanks" by clicking the Thumb up in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own
04-22-2013 09:15 AM
This is driving me nuts. It is so complicated to weave my way through getting the printer to print in BW only that I am sure that it has been designed to make it extremely difficult. I have managed to do it once or twice, but cannot duplicate it again. I have a Photosmart 7520. I am using a I Mac with an OS 10.6.8. I am accessing the printer via my own LAN. Printing a MAC pages docment. I looked a the forum posts and found that Shlomil now tells he how to save the by clicking Presets and doing a save current presets.
However, I can't get back to the situation that say print black only. When I do get the vey small triangle and click on it it says that I can't do that selection.
I am convinced that this is because HP want to me to use all collors to print in BW so as to use all of the ink supplies.
This situation is rediiculous. I should be an option at the very top of the Printer selection, not just for low res fast print
04-22-2013 06:58 PM
Did you locate where to change the print color options? It might not say anything about printing in black and white only. Sometimes it will say "grayscale", which is the same as black and white mode.
- HP Printers - Installing a Mac Printer Driver Using Apple Software Update
- HP Printers - Download and Install a Mac HP Printer Driver and Software
- HP AirPrint-Compatible Wireless Printers - Printing Over a Wireless Network with Apple's AirPrint FAQs
- Scan from OS X v10.9 Mavericks With the Full Feature HP Software for HP Multifunction Printers
- Scanning in OS X v10.10 Yosemite Without HP Software