Question
Is Laserjet 3055 compatible with OS X Lion (10.7) for print, fax, and scan
Replies (111)

Top Student
gglnyc
Message 91 of 112 (1,026 Views)

Re: Is Laserjet 3055 compatible with OS X Lion (10.7) for print, fax, and scan

Has anyone been able to get the scan feature to work on a networked LaserJet 3055 using the method described above?

Tutor
pgershon
Message 92 of 112 (1,024 Views)

I failed

Tutor
terryw239
Message 93 of 112 (1,007 Views)

pgershon wrote:

I actually cannot get it to work.  Trying to connect over a network using a Mini with 10.9 that never had been connected to this printer before.  With effort the name of the printer shows up in the dialog box for Director, but it is greyed out on the left and only selectable on the right.

questions:

does the printing function work? if not, then there's a more basic problem.

did you run the setup program at some point in your install?

did you try the HP Scan application itself (ie from the Applications folder) rather than tryting to invoke it from Director?

Tutor
pgershon
Message 94 of 112 (1,004 Views)

Yes, printing function worked fine.

Yes, ran setup program many times, both stand alone and from terminal (with all privelidges). This latter step brought the printer name up, but in grey.

Yes, tried HP Scan. Did not help. It opened but no scanner was recognized.
Top Student
HP4Macs
Message 95 of 112 (999 Views)

Is the HPlaserjet Trap Monitor running? (Look in the activity monitor.) The 8.1b installation must complete successfully and restart your Mac. Then you need to run the 8.2 Installer successfully (finds your networked device) using sudo after that.

Tutor
terryw239
Message 96 of 112 (996 Views)

pgershon wrote:
Yes, printing function worked fine.

Yes, ran setup program many times, both stand alone and from terminal (with all privelidges). This latter step brought the printer name up, but in grey.

Yes, tried HP Scan. Did not help. It opened but no scanner was recognized.

and which version of software shows for Scan and Director - is it 8.2 or 8.1; if 8.1 you need to get the 8.2 versions installed (somehow). You might be able to do this by running the 8.2 dmg and trying the force quit as described in earlier threads. It seems that 8.1 won't work proerly and 8.2 won't always install properly; thats the dilemna.

Tutor
pgershon
Message 97 of 112 (987 Views)

I tried with 8.1. I misunderstood the instructions and saw 8.1 was needed for the install. 8.2 was not on the HP website but I do have a copy somewhere I can dig up.
Top Student
vonderbees
Message 98 of 112 (955 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks HP4Macs! I used your directions to get my 3390 working with OS 10.9. I had to replace my hard drive this week so I was starting from scratch. I was able to get the 8.1 package to load and then I installed 8.2 on a Mac I have that is running OS 10.6.8. I was able to get the files you indicated from there and put them on my newer machine.

I ran the sudo line in Terminal to open up the Setup Assistant. It was not recognizining the USB printer. I went and copied the com.hp.LaserJetAIO.plist file from 8.2 that IronBadger had mentioned in his post on page 1 but still no luck. Then I tried deleting the printer in System Preferences and adding it right back in. Lo and behold it was now recognized in the Setup Assistant.

So far it seems like I have to delete and add the printer in System Preferences to get it to show up--but at least I can get it to work predictably without too much trouble. Before I did this, I had loaded the HP software into my Windows program which runs on Parallels. The scanning worked but it doesn't have the same level of control that you have on the Mac.

One other thing. When the Maintain Device button is active in Director (it isn't always) it goes right to the status page. When I was running it in 10.8 it always took several times of trying and restarting Director to get that feature to work.

Thanks for your help!

HP Support Agent
Mrstenter
Message 99 of 112 (929 Views)

Hi Vonderbees,

Glad all is working Well. I marked this as an accepted solution.

Have a great weekend.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Mrs.Tenter
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
terryw239
Message 100 of 112 (869 Views)

Over the weekend I did one additional  update on a friend's computer; they had 10.8.5 installed with the 8.2 HP Software and Scan working (3390 print/scan). They wanted to update to Mavericks so we did the following, relatively simple process:

did a Time Machine backup

upgraded computer to Mavericks

after upgrade, scan of course no longer worked, so we just did install from 8.1b dmg, running installer as sudo (we didn't reset print system, uninstall any HP software or delete any printer objects)

after computer restarted, scan worked fine.

I have a feeling this process will work in general provided the 8.2 software is working before upgrade and nothing is changed with respect to the print system after the upgrade.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation