Question
Is Laserjet 3055 compatible with OS X Lion (10.7) for print, fax, and scan
Replies (111)

Top Student
gglnyc
Message 101 of 112 (818 Views)

Re: Is Laserjet 3055 compatible with OS X Lion (10.7) for print, fax, and scan

Can you provide more details when you say, "...install from 8.1b dmg, running installer as sudo." I understand the install from 8.1b.dmg part but I don't know how to run the install as sudo.

Thanks
Tutor
vonderbees
Message 102 of 112 (804 Views)

Did you run the 8.1 or 8.2 Set-Up Assistant?

Does the scanner always show up when you open HP Scan?

Tutor
terryw239
Message 103 of 112 (796 Views)

[ Edited ]

gglnyc wrote:
Can you provide more details when you say, "...install from 8.1b dmg, running installer as sudo." I understand the install from 8.1b.dmg part but I don't know how to run the install as sudo.

Thanks

sure; what I mean is:

mount the 8.1b AIO Install dmg

open a terminal window

in the terminal window, type the string (without quotes, but a space character after -b): "sudo -b  "

after typing in the -b and a space character , go to the mounted install dmg, right click on the installer, click on show package contents, click on contents, click on the MacOS folder, click and drag the "HP Laserjet AIO Installer" icon into the terminal window so that it drops the full file path of this file.

then hit return in terminal window and then type in your password (assumes your Mac Userid has admin privileges).

The filename for the installer should be something like this:

/Volumes/HP\ LaserJet\ AiO/HP\ LaserJet\ AiO\ Installer\ \(v8.1b\).app/Contents/MacOS/HP\ LaserJet\ AiO\ Installer

so the full command line in terminal window would be:

sudo -b /Volumes/HP\ LaserJet\ AiO/HP\ LaserJet\ AiO\ Installer\ \(v8.1b\).app/Contents/MacOS/HP\ LaserJet\ AiO\ Installer

NOTE: you might be able to  just copy and paste the above command into your terminal window, just be sure the 8.1b dmg volume is mounted; it should work as long as your install image has the same filename and paths.

The installer should run to completion and restart the computer; if it doesn't, try running it a second time.

Tutor
terryw239
Message 104 of 112 (794 Views)

vonderbees wrote:

Did you run the 8.1 or 8.2 Set-Up Assistant?

Does the scanner always show up when you open HP Scan?

NO, I did not run any of the Set-up assistant programs. I think you would only want to do this if:

(1) the HP Scan 8.2 was not working ( or not configured) before the upgrade to 10.9 OR

(2) if you did anything after the upgrade that affected the print system, such as resetting print system, deleting print object or uninstalling HP software.

YES, the 3390 always shows up when HP Scan is opened directly. Sometimes if Director is started the image buttons (Scan, etc) are not enabled but starting Director a second time will enable them.

Tutor
Morandi
Message 105 of 112 (760 Views)

Hi Terry,

the "streamlined" installation process (for systems with a working 8.2 version in 10.8.5) that you propose is very nice.

Do you think that instead of re-installing 8.1b using sudo, one can reinstall the printer by just restoring the printer-related files that the installation of Mavericks removes?

In my case, they were about 3 printer-related directories or files (of the ones that you listed in your post number 82) that were missing and I had to restore from my time machine backup:

/Library/
Application Support/hp/laserjet/

Support/
Hewlett-Packard

StartupItems/
HP Trap Monitor

Some of the above files/directories may have been missing from my system because I had deleted the HP printer from the list of printers and I had also reset the print system (and I think it is this deletion/resetting that forced me to run the Setup Assistant with sudo…).

So I wonder:

(1) What HP printer-related directory/files are missing when Mavericks is installed on a working 8.2 installation and *nothing else is touched*?

(2) Is it sufficient to recover these missing directories/files from the Time Machine backup, to have the printer and scanner work again (without having to do a sudo install of the older 8.1b version)?

Your process (re-installing 8.1b using sudo) is quite nice and simple, so the above questions are purely ``academic" :-)

Morandi

Tutor
vonderbees
Message 106 of 112 (730 Views)

[ Edited ]

Should the HPlaserjet Trap Monitor be running? I am still having problems with HP Scan recognizing my printer at startup. I still have to remove and add the printer in the System Preferences to get it to show up. Not a huge deal but I would like to figure it out.

HP Support Agent
Lil_Lisa27
Message 107 of 112 (706 Views)

I am sorry, but to get your issue more exposure I would suggest posting it in the commercial forums since this is a commercial product. You can do this at http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/ .

I hope this helps.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Lil_Lisa27
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
terryw239
Message 108 of 112 (690 Views)

Morandi wrote:

Do you think that instead of re-installing 8.1b using sudo, one can reinstall the printer by just restoring the printer-related files that the installation of Mavericks removes?

In my case, they were about 3 printer-related directories or files (of the ones that you listed in your post number 82) that were missing and I had to restore from my time machine backup:

Some of the above files/directories may have been missing from my system because I had deleted the HP printer from the list of printers and I had also reset the print system (and I think it is this deletion/resetting that forced me to run the Setup Assistant with sudo…).

So I wonder:

(1) What HP printer-related directory/files are missing when Mavericks is installed on a working 8.2 installation and *nothing else is touched*?

(2) Is it sufficient to recover these missing directories/files from the Time Machine backup, to have the printer and scanner work again (without having to do a sudo install of the older 8.1b version)?

Hi Morandi -

I suspect that the reason you needed to recover those files was due to having reset the printer system, etc but I don't know for sure.

As for (1), I think the way this could be investigated would be if a TM backup were done just before upgrading to 10.9 and then another TM backup just after upgrading but before doing anything else. Then we could compare the various HP related directories, files, permissions, etc to see what was lost during the upgrade. It might be that just file permissions are altered.

In my upgrades I didn't do the backup just after upgrading so can't do the analysis. BUT, if I end up doing another upgrade, I will do the backups just before and just after.

As for (2), again I'm not sure as I always did the 8.1b install.

Terry

Tutor
terryw239
Message 109 of 112 (685 Views)

vonderbees wrote:

Should the HPlaserjet Trap Monitor be running? I am still having problems with HP Scan recognizing my printer at startup. I still have to remove and add the printer in the System Preferences to get it to show up. Not a huge deal but I would like to figure it out.

I'm not sure but it is running on my system - its configured in the system as a Startup Item (Macintosh HD/Library/Startup Items/HPlasertjet Trap Monitor/... ) so it always starts when the system boots up.

Tutor
terryw239
Message 110 of 112 (393 Views)

NOTE: I just updated to OS X 10.9.2 from 10.9.1 and the HP Scanner stopped working. I followed my instructions from above and it is now working again. (Instrution was to just run the older installer (v8.1b) as sudo and restart computer)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation