Question
Is Laserjet 3055 compatible with OS X Lion (10.7) for print, fax, and scan
Replies (111)

Student
unpalatable
Message 11 of 112 (4,848 Views)

Re: Is Laserjet 3055 compatible with OS X Lion (10.7) for print, fax, and scan

Hi IronBadger,

Can you post the file that you found in your Library? I know you said it is unique, but I can't seem to get it working.

Student
RichardNC
Message 12 of 112 (4,838 Views)

And I thought Macs were supposed to make life easier.  :smileyhappy:

I’m a non-technical owner of a new Macmini with Lion and wondered if I could use my Laserjet 3055 with it.  (IThe 3055 worked fine with my previous imac until I upgraded to Snow Leopard, when the scanner hit a brick wall.)

The instructions above, such as reboot the Mac operating system, execute HP Setup Ass’t in root mode, open a terminal window, and execute a sudo command, are all beyond me.  (I do not have the Macmini connected to a network, so I didn’t worry about the network connection.) 

Anybody want a used Laserjet 3055?

Tutor
Morandi
Message 13 of 112 (4,830 Views)

adrianhon wrote:

Hi - thanks for this guide! My problem is that when I try to load HP Scan, it simply says 'You can't open the application HP Scan because PowerPC applications are no longer supported.'

How are you guys managing to get around this problem? I followed all the steps pretty carefully, but perhaps I've missed something obvious...

Hi,

I did not run into this problem. This is strange since my HP LaserJet 3055 now scans

without any problems, and to get the scanner going I just click on the HP Scan application

(which I keep on my dock).

I did a clean install of Lion 10.7.1 and I am quite sure that the Lion OS X

does NOT include the Rosetta package that allows PowerPC applications to run.

So HP Scan, which runs fine on my Lion 10.7.1 iMac, cannot be a PowerPC application...

Sorry I cannot be of further help...

Best of luck!

I

Student
Camborne
Message 14 of 112 (4,766 Views)

Thanks a million for this.  I followed your instructions and can now scan.  BUT the scan window I get provides limited functionality and my pdf scan files are so big.  I scanned 4 pages of a form to email and the resulting pdf file was 25 mb!  I cannot find a way of reducing this other than to choose the smallest resolution which results in a very poor quality scan.  Is there any way round this?   

Tutor
terryw239
Message 15 of 112 (4,759 Views)

thanks for this info; I accessed this thread via a link from another thread. I have the 3390 AIO rather than the 3055.

I was able to restore a backed up version of the AIO file and the director and scan programs are now mostly functional. The only problem I have with scanning is that if I exit scan program using CLOSE button on user interface, it crashes the program. If you exit via QUIT menu (or CMD Q keyboard) it doesn't crash. I suspect this is related to file permissions somewhere in the application, as the AIO file never gets updated (it used to be updated each time scan application was run in OS X 10.6). 

Also, when I scan documents using Adobe Acrobat Pro (which is my preferred method) this will also fail if I scan more than one document (or more than one page) in a session. This is probably related to the problem of HP Scan crashing or maybe its a problem in Acrobat as I wasn't able to use it to scan in 10.7 before.

Student
rugbyjames7
Message 16 of 112 (4,740 Views)

If you go to the apple support forums. Notably https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3213814?start=0&tstart=0 there are threads on how to adjust the quartz filters to enable a desired compression (ie not as compressed as the default).

I am not particularly technical but this worked a treat

James

Honor Student
GFSymon
Message 17 of 112 (4,584 Views)

[ Edited ]

A big thank you for finding this work-around and I'm also VERY relived to read that an update for Lion is projected to be available before the end of the year.  I was extremely disappointed with HP when it was thought that they were abandoning 4 year old, perfectly serviceable machines.

Anyway ... the point of this post.

I have an installation of Lion that was NOT an upgrade from 10.6x.  So there was no legacy software in there (although I do have drivers for a Z3100 installed).

I downloaded the 8.2 software and then installed via a USB connection.

I had an alert during installation that the file :  System/Library/Extensions/hp_laserjet_3050.kext  was installed improperly.

I copied the file com.hp.LaserJetAIO.plist as suggested to the directory :   HD/Library/Preferences/

The good news is that so far, I have absolutely no issues at all with the scanner.  The scan software and the Director software do not crash.  I can quit them easily without issue.

It would appear that installing clean, on Lion, does not install the PPC version of the software and so there are no issues with the Rosetta software being unavailable.

Student
jw1564
Message 18 of 112 (4,481 Views)

I have an older iMac that started with Tiger then went to Leopard etc. etc. now to Lion - I've never done a clean install.   So even after following all the above instructions, I was getting the Rosetta error even though the HP applications are Universal.   By simply renaming HP Scan to HP Scan2 I was then able to run without the Rosetta error.   Same solution for Director.   Go figure.

Also as noted by Iron Badger the plist file will be updated only if you run HP Setup Assistant as root.   The same technical problem was preventing HP Scan from saving the scan preferences (I prefer Custom, Text, 150x150 for optimal PDF size for all my scanning) upon closure.    So I ran HP Scan as root under terminal and it saved a new plist file with my preferred settings.   

Hope this helps and looking forward to the upcoming Lion scan solution from HP.

Tutor
pgershon
Message 19 of 112 (4,459 Views)

I have spent a lot of time trying to get my older laserjet 3030 to scan with Lion.  It used to scan fine with 10.5 and 10.6, but on a different machine (an older mac mini, now connected to a new iMac).  I have atttached an old drive (via FW800) with 10.6.8 loaded on it.  I run the 8.0 software for the 3030 and it seems to install OK.  I get to the restart but then HP Setup Assistant does nt see my printer.  I have tried reloading, tried fixing permissions, deleted and reloaded, etc All to no avail.  I cannot get the iMac to see the 3030 with HP Setup Assistant.  The prnter works fine as a printer using Apple's drivers however.

Any ideas why Setup Assistant does not see the laserjet 3030?  I downloaded the older version of the software (all PPC, for 10.3 and before) and it sees the printer fine and initiates a scan.  It will not work with Lion however - no chance.  I know the 3030 used to work with 10.6, but I don't remember if I needed to take a special step to get the Mac to see the printer with Set Up Assistant.

Tutor
terryw239
Message 20 of 112 (4,340 Views)

FWIW, when I upgraded my macbook pro from 10.6 to 10.7 I had  a similar problem with networked 3390 printer. The Director program and Scan program ran but all function buttons were disabled; the Setup Assistant program ran, but didn't see the printer. I simply re-installed from the AIO disk image (version 8.2) and then the programs worked ok (didn't need to rerun the setup assistant). Don't know if that file would work for the 3030 or not or if there's a corresponding version on HP support site.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation