Question
Is Laserjet 3055 compatible with OS X Lion (10.7) for print, fax, and scan
Replies (111)

Tutor
empr3ss
Message 71 of 112 (1,033 Views)

Re: Is Laserjet 3055 compatible with OS X Lion (10.7) for print, fax, and scan

Anyone get the solution to work for a non-USB printer?

Tutor
Morandi
Message 72 of 112 (961 Views)

[ Edited ]

I just "upgraded" from OS X Lion 10.8.5 to OS X Mavericks 10.9, and not surprisingly this upgrade

broke down my HP laserJet 3055 installation: the printing works but not the scanning.

I tried re-installing the printer following my own instructions (posted on the first page of this forum) together with Empress's modification ( to "Force Quit" the AiO installer just after it installs all the needed stuff and just before it gets to the .icns installation "fail" point), but this process does not seem to work anymore.

It may be that I did not managed to forcequit the AiO installer at just the right time (but I repeated the process several times, including the "force quitting" at just before the last 71th installation items, and it never worked).

I suspect that the problem is now deeper than hitting "quit" at the right time.

For one the "Setup Assistant" started using the sudo command now complains about some mysterious missing user.

When I ignore these messages, and get to the window where the setup assistant seeks the printer to setup, it does not find the printer (I tried both usb and network connections with a fixed IP address).

SO my question is: did anyone successfully install an HP Laserjet 3055 (or an equivalent printer, like the Laserjet 3052), INCLUDING the scanning function, after upgrading to OS X Mavericks 10.9?

In the past this community was able to overcome installation problems at least twice: with the upgrade to Lion , and then to Mountain Lion. Hopefully we can do it again with Mavericks :-)

Thanks for the great community help!

Morandi

Tutor
terryw239
Message 73 of 112 (942 Views)

[ Edited ]

I upgraded to Mavericks several days ago and could no longer scan with 3390 although printing still worked fine. The scan program would start up  but didn't finish its startup properly so scan button never became enabled. Also, Director would start but image buttons never became enabled.

I did eventually get scanning to work through a somewhat unorthodox process - I installed an older version of the HP software (8.1b rather than 8.2). It gave a lot of error messages including one about insufficient privileges and then quit. I ran it again and it than ran all the way through again giving error messages, including the kext not installable message. After computer restarted 3390 scan program began working again! The scan program is still the newer one (8.2) so perhaps the older software realized that a newer version was there and didn't overlay it. I don't know how/why this worked but am happy that it did as I use the scan capability a lot but I sure wish that HP would rebuild their programs with current Apple frameworks and libraries so that they would work properly. Also, I wish the installer error messages were more specific: eg to fail with "file not found" is extremely unhelpful - why can't the filname be included in the message.

I don't know if this process would work on other systems but will be trying it on my macbook pro later this weekend.

(Updated) I tried this process on the mbp and it also worked. I am going to do one more pass on macbook pro where I uninstall the HP software (via HP Uninstaller in Applications/HP Laserjet Software folder) and then reinstall to see if it will install and work more or less from scratch.

HP Support Agent
Lil_Lisa27
Message 74 of 112 (914 Views)

Hi Morandi,

I am sorry, but to get your issue more exposure I would suggest posting it in the commercial forums since this is a commercial product. You can do this at http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/ .

I hope this helps.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Lil_Lisa27
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
Morandi
Message 75 of 112 (908 Views)

Hi Terry,

this is great news. It gives me hope on my 3055.
Can you please give us a more detailed, step by step if possible, description of the process that you used
to get the printer to work?

Your help is greatly appreciated,
Morandi
Tutor
terryw239
Message 76 of 112 (891 Views)

[ Edited ]

so here are the instructions for what I did to get HP Scan program to work after upgrading from OS X 10.8.5 to 10.9; I think this would also work if upgrading from 10.8 to 10.9 but cannot verify this.

Requirements are:

(1) have the slightly older HP Software package (HPLaserJet305x-339xAIO8.1b.dmg (if you don't have this, then do a google search on the filename and download it)

(2) the version 8.2  HP Software package was previously working on OS X 10.8.5 -  using HP 305x or HP 339x AIO printer (i.e. version 8.2 was currently installed)

(3) you have a Time Machine (or other) backup of your 10.8.5 install prior to upgrade (this is important, if you don't have this backup, see NOTE below)

Steps that I followed were:

(1) Uninstall existing HP Software by running the HP Uninstall program from Applications/HP LaserJet Software/ (filename is something like: HP Uninstaller )

(2) I did not delete any other files or the printer objects themselves

(3) Install the 8.1b HP Software files from the .dmg listed above. I had to do this twice, as the first time several error messages were generated and the install did not complete. On the second install several other error messages were generated but the install finished and the computer restarted.

(4) After restart you shouldl have the 8.1b versions of HP Director and HP Scan which will not execute properly

(5) Using your Time Machine backup of 10.8.5 (or 10.8), restore the following:

Macintosh HD/Applications/HP Laserjet Software   (restore the entire folder)

Macintosh HD/Library/Image Capture/TWAIN Data Sources/HP Laserjet Scan DS.ds  (the folder with this name)

After step (5) my Scan program (v 8.2) worked properly (or at least as well as it did under 10.8.5 - it has some minor programs such as "Close" function causes crash but exiting via Quit menu item works). HP Director also mostly works although sometimes it has to be started twice.

NOTE: If you don't have a backup of your pre-Mavericks system, then you might try the instructions given above just using step 2 - 3. In this case, after the computer restarts the Scan should work properly as you should still have the v8.2 programs.  I initially did this on one of my 2 machines and it did restore the Scan functionality.

WARNING: I am simply reporting steps that caused my Scanner to resume working properly after upgrade. I cannot predict or in any way guarantee that this process will work for other systems and/or configurations. However, it did work on my 2 computers.

Good Luck - please post your results here if you try these steps, whether successful or not.

Tutor
Morandi
Message 77 of 112 (879 Views)

Hi Terry,

thanks a lot for posting the detailed procedure. I will download the older package (8.1b) and try. I do have a timemachine backup from 10.8.5 so that should make things simpler.

Unfortunately, however, I did remove the HP printer from the Mac list of "Printers and Scanners"  in my previous attempts...So I won't be able to do step (2). 

I will try and report the results here...

Morandi

Tutor
Morandi
Message 78 of 112 (868 Views)

Hi,

Unfortunately I could not get the HP director or the HP Scan to work using Terry's process on my HP Laserjet 3055.

Some notes regarding my attempts and a question:

(1)  In my attempts I run the HPLaserJet305x-339xAiO8.1b installer several times.

Sometimes this installer executed till the end without reporting any problems!

That gave me hope, especially because the HP Setup Assiatent that I later run also declared

that the printer "successfully installed".

If it reported a problem, I run  HPLaserJet305x-339xAiO8.1b installer a second time, and it would complete till the restart process.

(3) Sometimes the HPLaserJet305x-339xAiO8.1b installer asked which device to install: 3050, 3052-3055 or 3390.

I selected 3055 (my printer’s model).

That may be why the installation worked for Terry's HP 3090 but not for my HP 3055.

(4) I restored the 2 directories from the 10.8.5 versions stored in my Time Machine, as explained in Terry’s message.

But after doing all that, the HP director did not show any printer in its drop down menu of devices,

and the HP Scan app claimed there are no scanning devices.

(5) Given the above I then tried executing the “HP Setup Assistant”.

This setup program located my HP printer successfully

(with usb and also with its IP address: I tried both ways, and both were successfull)

The HP setup assistant run to completion and declared it was successful (!!)

BUT when I opened the HP director after that, again it did not show any printer

in the drop down menu, and the HP scan claimed there are no scanning devices!

==========

Terry: After you restarted your system (after executing the HPLaserJet305x-339xAiO8.1b installer)

did you run the “HP Setup Assistant” (found in the HP Laserjet Software folder)?

I tried both ways: with and without running this assistant, with no luck…

Thanks for your help,

Morandi

Tutor
terryw239
Message 79 of 112 (855 Views)

Hi Morandi - sorry to hear that it didn't work.

To answer your question - I never ran the setup assistant during this process. Since I hadn't deleted the printer object from System Preferences my printer was always present. There are plists in the Preferences area of Library which identify the network location of the printer/scanner. It sounds like, after the process, the printer is not defined properly.

A few questions:

1. After you finished the process, could you still access your printer for Printing purposes? (i.e. does it show in Systems Preferences, Printers and Scanners and does it work)
  2. When you run the Director or Scanner program and check the About box, do you see version 8.2?
  3. If you look in the folder: Macintosh HD/Library/Image Capture/Devices/ do you see any entries for HP Scan; on my system there are 2: HP Scanner 3 (newer) and HPScanner (older). If you don't see something like this then you might try restoring them from your TM Backup.

Tutor
Morandi
Message 80 of 112 (845 Views)

Hi Terry,

thanks for the quick reply and your suggestions. I will try them this evening after work and let you know.

When I finish the installer process and then reboot the system, the printer shows up in the "Printers and Scanners" and I can print on it (I can also access it through its web portal using its statically assigned IP address).

But the printer does not show in the HP Director program (which has a top menu listing the HP devices that it has access to). Somehow the HP Director is not "linked" to any printer (I suspect that the task of the "HP setup assistant" is to link the HP director with an actual printer device and scanner...).

When I am back at home I will uninstall everything and start from scratch, follow your sugestions and let you know.

Thanks again for your help!

Morandi

P.S. Since I have the full 10.8.5 backup, I wonder whether a way to re-install the printer/snanner is to restore EVERY directory and file related to the HP printer and scanner installation. The problem is that I don't know the complete list of these files and directories...(perhaps I should try to do a spotlight search of all files and directories whose name contain "HP"?)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation