Question
Is Laserjet 3055 compatible with OS X Lion (10.7) for print, fax, and scan
Replies (111)

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 81 of 112 (776 Views)

Re: Is Laserjet 3055 compatible with OS X Lion (10.7) for print, fax, and scan

I am sorry, but to get your issue more exposure I would suggest posting it in the commercial forums since this is a commercial printer. You can do this at http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/

I hope this helps.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
terryw239
Message 82 of 112 (762 Views)

[ Edited ]

yes, it sounds like the scanner is not being recognized by the scanning  frameworks. I did create a list of HP files on my system (for 3390). They are listed below; each entry shows the approximate date of the file and/or version number. All folder directories are off of the "Macintosh HD" main folder. Not sure how helpful this will be for you, but it might help. You might want to look in these folders on your TM back up and then compare to whats on your system after install. You might also find some clues by looking at the system logs when you startup the HP Scan program to see if there are any error messages.

/Applications/HP Laserjet Software/
  Director/ 8.2
  HP Setup Assistant 8.2
  HP Uninstaller 3.0
  Scan/ 8.2

/Library/

Application Support/hp/laserjet/ (2/2006)

Frameworks/
  HPDeviceModel (4/2008)
  HPPml (4/2008)
  HPServicesInterface  (4/2008)
  HPSmartPrint  (11/2007)

Image Capture/
  Devices/
    HP Scanner (6/2010  v4.1.2)*
    HP Scanner 3 (7/2009  1.1.52)*
      * may be interchanged

Support/
    Hewlett-Packard (2/2009  v1.7.0)

TWAIN Data Sources/
    HP Laserjet Scan DS.ds (3/2008)

StartupItems/
    HP Trap Monitor (2/2006)

Tutor
Morandi
Message 83 of 112 (748 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Terry,

I retried your process from scratch and here is what I got:

> After you finished the process, could you still access your printer for Printing purposes? (i.e. does it show in Systems Preferences, Printers and Scanners and does it work)

Yes it shows up in that list, and I can print (but when I open the HP Director the printer does not show up in the drop down menu of this app).

> When you run the Director or Scanner program and check the About box, do you see version 8.2?

AFTER I run HP LaserJet AiO Installer (v8.1b) and reboot, and BEFORE I restore the HP Laserjet Software directory from the time machine, I get version 8.1 for both the HP Director and the HP Scanner programs (this makes sense because I just used the ``older’’ installer 8.1b to install these programs)

THEN, AFTER I Restore the 10.8.5 HP Software using the Time Machine, and I open HP Director or Scan, I see version 8.2 (this also makes sense since I restored the 8.2 versions that I had in 10.8.5 before I moved to Mavericks).

> If you look in the folder: Macintosh HD/Library/Image Capture/Devices/ do you see any entries for HP Scan; on my system there are 2: HP Scanner 3 (newer) and HPScanner (older). If you don't see something like this then you might try restoring them from your TM Backup.

These entries were there, but they had different size from their 10.8.5 version.

So I restored these 2 entries from the 10.8.5 backups.

But even after doing so the HP Director does not show any printer in its drop down menu….

and the HP Scan says that it does not see any scanner in my system. 

After that (in complete desperation :-)  I proceeded to restore the full /Library/Printers/hp directory

(more than 800MBs!) also from my 10.8.5 backup.

But after that it was STILL the same: the HP Director and HP Scan were not “aware” of the existence of my printer…

=========

THEN I SAW YOUR LATEST MESSAGE WITH THE LIST OF ALL HP FILES AND

DIRECTORIES THAT YOU FOUND ON YOUR SYSTEM (THANKS!!!)

I noticed three entries that were still missing from my system and I restored them as well from my 10.8.5 backup:

/Library/

Application Support/hp/laserjet/ (2/2006)

Support/

Hewlett-Packard (2/2009  v1.7.0)

StartupItems/

HP Trap Monitor (2/2006)

(By the way your list did not include another entry that seems relevant:

/Library/Printers/hp (a huge directory with more than 800MBs

but I had restored this directory as well in my previous step).

After all these restorations, I restarted my iMac, and opened the HP Director and …STILL the same problem!

So in desperation, I run the HP Setup Assistant by clicking on the app in the HP Software folder.

This did not work (the app did not detect my printer).

FINALLY, I run the HP Setup Assistant again BUT NOW AS A SUPERUSER from the Terminal, using the command:

sudo /Applications/HP\ LaserJet\ Software/HP\ Setup\ Assistant.app/Contents/MacOS/HP\ Setup\ Assistant

This printed dozen of errors so I was sure it would not work, but it did detect my printer.

Skeptically i let it continue (with more errors).

Then I started the HP Director (I was *sure* it would not work) and…. IT WORKS!!!!! All works, it’s amazing!

=============

So after all these trials and errors, the process that worked for me was simply:

1. RESTORE EVERY HP ENTRY IN YOUR LIST THAT WAS MISSING IN MY SYSTEM.

2. RESTORE /Library/Printers/hp

3. execute the following command from a terminal to run the HP Setup Assistant as a superuser:

sudo /Applications/HP\ LaserJet\ Software/HP\ Setup\ Assistant.app/Contents/MacOS/HP\ Setup\ Assistant

This setup program indicated many errors but did find my printer (connected through ethernet).

After completing this setup both the HP Director and Scan apps FINALLY “see” my printer and work!

Note: In these steps i did not use the old HP installer (version 8.1b), or the new one (version 8.2):

I just restored all the HP files and directories that you listed and /Library/Printers/hp,

and then run the HP setup program using "sudo"....

============

I really appreciate your help: I would have never succeeded without this help and especially

the list of all the relevant HP files and directories that you included in your last message:

it’s only after I restored the entries that were missing that the setup assistant worked for me.

Hopefully your method or the modified one above can help other users of HP Laserjet printers…

Thanks again!

Morandi

Tutor
terryw239
Message 84 of 112 (743 Views)

Hi Morandi -

congratulations on finally getting it to work - you are pretty persistent!

Sorry - I did forget to include  folder Library/Printers/hp in the list (in my case there were no differences in any of its sub-folders and files between the TM backup and the versions after updating to 10.9).  Also, I didn't have to rerun the setup program - I guess maybe things got messed up on your system due to removing printer objects or whatever. Possibly some file permissions were wrong and running the setup program as super was able to repair them.

You might want to do another TM backup now that its working so that you have a reference point.

Tutor
Morandi
Message 85 of 112 (719 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Terry,

well, I had actually given up when I saw your note with the list of hp entries, and then i decided to go for "one last try" before declaring defeat :-)

Yes, removing the printer and resetting the entire printer system must have removed some of the HP files and directories that you listed, and probably it also removed some pointers and/or file permissions that were later restored by running the HP Setup assistant...

By the way, it is quite possible that there was no need to restore /Library/Printers/hp: i did not check whether the version that i had before restoring it was different from the one in my 10.8.5 TIme machine backup....

So maybe one way to do all this is to:

(a) Not remove or reset the printer system,

(b) restore every hp entry that is on your list using the TM backup,

and IF this is not sufficient then also do:

(c) run the HP setup assistant with"sudo"..

thanks again,
Morandi

ps as you suggested i did a TM backup after the printer worked, it is my first backup in 10.9!

Top Student
HP4Macs
Message 86 of 112 (701 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks Terry and Morandi,

I also got my 3390 to work with Mavericks using your help.

First I followed Terry's instructions (1-5) (repeated here for the next guy that needs it):

(1) Uninstall existing HP Software by running the HP Uninstall program from Applications/HP LaserJet Software/ (filename is something like: HP Uninstaller )

(2) I did not delete any other files or the printer objects themselves

(3) Install the 8.1b HP Software files from the .dmg listed above. I had to do this twice, as the first time several error messages were generated and the install did not complete. On the second install several other error messages were generated but the install finished and the computer restarted.

[I only had to do this once - it generated error messages but it finished and restarted my Mac Pro.]

(4) After restart you shouldl have the 8.1b versions of HP Director and HP Scan which will not execute properly

(5) Using your Time Machine backup of 10.8.5 (or 10.8), restore the following:

Macintosh HD/Applications/HP Laserjet Software   (restore the entire folder)

Macintosh HD/Library/Image Capture/TWAIN Data Sources/HP Laserjet Scan DS.ds  (the folder with this name)

At this point the Director and Scan programs still did NOT see the 3390, so then I followed Morandi's suggestion and ran the HP Setup Assistant from the terminal with:

(6) sudo /Applications/HP\ LaserJet\ Software/HP\ Setup\ Assistant.app/Contents/MacOS/HP\ Setup\ Assistant

which detected the printer (networked with Ethernet) and finished the setup. Then the HP Scan Program and the HP Director detected the 3390 and worked. (I didn't have to restore any other Time Machine backup files other than those in step 5 above.)

Thanks to both of you.

PS - I almost wished this didn't work so I'd have an excuse to get a new all-in-one from a company that would support Macs without this nonsense.

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 87 of 112 (689 Views)

I am sorry, but to get your issue more exposure I would suggest posting it in the commercial forums since this is a commercial printer. You can do this at http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/

I hope this helps.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
Morandi
Message 88 of 112 (661 Views)

[ Edited ]

PS - I almost wished this didn't work so I'd have an excuse to get a new all-in-one from a company

> that would support Macs without this nonsense.

I agree with you that this is nonsense.

I have now struggled with this problem three times, when upgrading from 10.6 to 10.7, from 10.7 to 10.8, and now from 10.8 to 10.9: each time the printer's scanning functionality was lost, HP did not provide any official support, and several hours or days were wasted by users who did not want to trash their printers.

Given that the original installation package (version 8.2) essentially works in all the above systems

with a few minor tweaks or tricks, why doesn't HP invest just a tiny amount of its huge resources

to update this package to work with these systems? It is much easier for HP to do it

than for users to discover tricks to force the installation of a package that almost works.

This is certainly alienating many HP users (including me)...

Morandi

P.S. I have two multifunction printers from another major manifacturer.

They just kept working for several consecutive OS X versions: Snow Leopard,

Lion, Mountain Lion and now Mavericks.

The only thing I did was apply the related Software Updates whenever

they were proposed by the Apple App Store or by the manifacturer itself.

Tutor
terryw239
Message 89 of 112 (645 Views)

[ Edited ]

I agree also. If nothing else they could just put the source out into an opensource repository and let developers rebuild it. As 7 or more year old code it shouldn't be a big deal. 

Tutor
pgershon
Message 90 of 112 (641 Views)

I actually cannot get it to work.  Trying to connect over a network using a Mini with 10.9 that never had been connected to this printer before.  With effort the name of the printer shows up in the dialog box for Director, but it is greyed out on the left and only selectable on the right.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation