Question

Honor Student
foxkat
Message 1 of 7 (8,125 Views)
Accepted Solution

Is it possible to print using only black ink with a photosmart 8250?

I only need to print in black, and I've just put in a new black cartridge.  The other cartridges are empty.  Is there some way to tell my mac to only print using the black ink?  Whenever I go to print something, even a test page, it tells me to resolve the error (empty cartridges) first.  Thanks, I hope someone is checking this on Christmas Eve!
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 7 (8,123 Views)

Re: Is it possible to print using only black ink with a photosmart 8250?

The photosmart 8250 has permanent printheads.  If the printer allowed printing iwith one of the colors missing it is likely that the printhead would become permanently clogged and the printer would require service to recover.

You will need to have adequate ink in all the color and black for this particular model.

(There are many HP models with integrated printheads on the ink suplies.  These typically allow printing with empty or even missing cartrdiges, going automatically into "reserve mode" printing using the available cartrdige.  Due to the premanent printheads such a feature is not available with the Photosmart 8250.)

Merry Christmas,

Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
foxkat
Message 3 of 7 (8,109 Views)

Thanks for your help, I'll stop tearing my hair out.  Oddly, while searching the HP help topics there were instructions that says if an error message comes up saying low ink we could select the black only option in the error box, but neither the error message box pictured nor anything similar never popped up. It was driving me bonkers.  Thanks again, and Happy Christmas!
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 7 (8,102 Views)

Merry Christmas to you as well.  If the color ink gets low it may be possible to print in black only mode, but if the color runs completely out then it cannot print.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

Honor Student
melody1
Message 5 of 7 (4,582 Views)

Bob,

Which current models of HP Office Jet will allow one to print in black ink only without running down color ink reserves.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 7 (4,565 Views)

melody1 wrote:

Which current models of HP Office Jet will allow one to print in black ink only without running down color ink reserves.

Generally any of the printers with a black and a tri-color cartridge will have the ability to print black with minimal color usage.  Printers with individual ink supplies for each color will have permanent or semi-permanent printheads that generally require more servicing and will use ink in black and all the colors.

Student
meaginganus
Message 7 of 7 (4,371 Views)

Is it possible to print using only black ink with a photsmart D7145? I have a Mac OS as well and just need a yes or no answer. Thank you in advance!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation