Question

Top Student
designeq
Message 1 of 14 (3,564 Views)

Is there a way to clean the cartridges on an HP Deskjet 6540 under OSX?

I have a completely full black cartridge for this printer that has been sitting a while in the printer. When I print, I get no black ink although the supply test shows it's full. I'd like to clean the cartridge but I can't find any way to do it (there are options under Windows but I can't find any for OSX).

How can I clean the cartridges for the HP Deskjet 6540 printer under OSX (10.6.4)?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 14 (3,553 Views)

Re: Is there a way to clean the cartridges on an HP Deskjet 6540 under OSX?

System Prefs > Print & Fax.  Select the printer and click the "Options and Supplies" button in the middle of the window.

From there go to Utility and Open Printer Utility.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
designeq
Message 3 of 14 (3,550 Views)

PrintDoc wrote:

System Prefs > Print & Fax.  Select the printer and click the "Options and Supplies" button in the middle of the window.

From there go to Utility and Open Printer Utility.

Yes, you would think that would be the solution, however, as far as I can tell, there is no way to clean the print cartridges from this utility. Perhaps you could point me to the place where this is possible.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 14 (3,547 Views)

Strange, I don't have a 6500 series, but the other 9 printers I have all have a Clean Printheads command on that menu.

The other place to check is in your Applications folder inside the Hewlett-Packard folder.  Perhaps there is a utility in there.

I am employed by HP
Grad Student
yellstr
Message 5 of 14 (3,541 Views)

What version if HP Utility do you have? (You can check that via 'About ...' menu item.)

Latest software update from Apple should have given you utility version 4 dot something, which does have the "Clean Printheads" function.

Top Student
designeq
Message 6 of 14 (3,526 Views)

yellstr wrote:

What version if HP Utility do you have? (You can check that via 'About ...' menu item.)

Latest software update from Apple should have given you utility version 4 dot something, which does have the "Clean Printheads" function.

I have version 4.6.1. If there is a Clean Printheads feature on it, I can't find it. Nor can I find any documentation anywhere on the HP site for this feature for OSX. If you can show me where this is, I would appreciate it.

Grad Student
yellstr
Message 7 of 14 (3,523 Views)

Once utility is launched, make sure that your device is selected in the device list, which is on the left (your left) side of the window. It may be hidden - you can make it show it by clicking a toolbar button which says "Show Device List" (I think... don't have it in front of me right now)

Once the device is selected, the main part of the window (to the right of the device list) will be populated with icons for various tasks  (much like System Preferences). One of these tasks is named "Clean Printheads". 

So, do you see a device list? Is your printer there? Can you see the task icons?

Top Student
designeq
Message 8 of 14 (3,514 Views)

Yes, I have done this multiple times. The only options available after I select my printer are: Supplies Status (this is where I can see I have a full black cartridge), Supply Info, and Device Information. None of these options give me the opportunity to clean the print heads.

Update: Interesting. I ran OSX Software Update and it listed an HP Printer update. I ran the update and it still shows the HP Utility as 4.6.1, but now there are additional items available for the printer (Clean Printheads, Test, Calibrate Color, Align, and Power Management.

Very strange, since I've been running the latest OSX version for several months, but this software update just showed up today.

Well, I seem to have the Clean Printheads option now so I will try it. Thanks for everyone's help. I can see why I appeared to be a moron, but truly, these other options were not available until I ran the software update today.

Top Student
designeq
Message 9 of 14 (3,512 Views)

Followup:

I have just under a quarter of the tri-color ink cartridge and a full black cartridge, and after cleaning the print heads several times, I still cannot get any yellow or black in to print. This is disturbing because it means I will have to buy new cartridges when I should have ink for many pages left. I don't understand why these cartridges are failing and not printing.

Grad Student
yellstr
Message 10 of 14 (3,509 Views)

The software update only installs stuff that is needed for printers currently connected to your Mac. So, if you did not have your deskjet hooked up when you ran update before, the plugins providing cleaning and other stuff might not get installed. Back to the cartridge, you've said that it "has been sitting a while in the printer". How long is "a while"? If it's about a year or more, it may have dried up beyond recovery, even though it is being reported as full.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation