Question

Honor Student
Marro
Message 1 of 4 (897 Views)
Accepted Solution

LaserJet 2100TN double-sided printing disabled

The dialog print window in OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard for the LaserJet 2100TN shows the double sided printing option greyed out. Until now I have not jet found a way to change this and get it enabled. Driver is HP LaserJet 2100 Series version 18.4. 

Has anyone solved this before?

Tnx

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 4 (875 Views)

Re: LaserJet 2100TN double-sided printing disabled

Hello,

The Two-Sided Printing option refer to Automatic Two-Sided printing.

As your device support Manual duplexing only, it is expected to see the specific option grayed out.

In order to perform manual duplexing, you shouls use the Pages to Print setting, as you may find listed below:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00294482&cc=ad&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_uk...

Additionally, another alternative is to use the HP Two-Sided Printing Software:
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL35975/mp-88750-2/HP_Two-sided_Printing.dmg
you can access this tool by clicking the PDF button at the bottom of the print dialog, then select Two-Sided Printing and follow the on-screen instructions.

Regards,
Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
Marro
Message 3 of 4 (870 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply. 

Your first remark (about the automatic two-sided printint etc.) leads to the conclusion that the driver  for OS X I mentioned might not be (fully) suitable for the 2100TN because this printer has no optional duplex-printing device whatsoever. It has only the manual two-sided printing option, which is incorporated in the Windows XP driver I used for years. That is why I don't understand why this feature is disabled in the Mac OS X equivalent.

Unfortunately the first link you gave is a dead link, it says HP was unable to find the page you wanted.

I installed the HP_Two-sided_Printing tool. It is a second best solution, 'cause it does not use the printer specific features like the Windows driver does (for Tray 1 e.g.) So it is more complicated to use.

The manual seems to indicate that the user has to convert a document to a PDF file. Doing so leads to unexpected and unexplicable messages when trying to print But fortunately I discovered that the tool does the converting :smileyhappy:

In closing I thank you for the suggestion nevrtheless, and want to stress the idea that Apple or HP will modify the driver to have the double-sided printing option enabled for the LaserJet 2100.

Student
Shajaca
Message 4 of 4 (214 Views)

HI, I've been having the same issue, my HP C4780 worked fine with PC, giving me options for double-sided printed, now greyed out, and the link on the solution doesn't exist anymore, and neither do I get anything other than a preview option using the PDF preview.  My boss has just bought a laptop mac and is having the same issues.  Is there a MAC driver to go with this printer that will allow double sided to be enabled... such a waste of paper!!!!

Tx

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation