02-04-2014 09:53 AM
We use an HP LaserJet 500 m551 color printer at my office and it takes WAY too long for photo images to print. When printing photo images (jpg) from a Mac OS 10.7, there is no option to print a "draft" or low resolution copy. The only option is a 1200 dpi or 3600 which takes several minutes. I've looked into the printer setting options and only find paper quality, color management which are not helpful for this purpose.
We do need the prints to be full page in color on plain 8.5" x11" page, so choosing a grayscale or black & white version only is not helpful. We need to print these quickly so our staff can view them laid out on tables for selection purposes.
All Apple software is up to date, and the HP printer driver is up to date too. Most of the photo files are large - 2MB or more - to allow for high quality printing on a commercial press when selected for our magazine.
When I print the same photo from a PC, I have a draft version option and printing begins immediately.
I have been told by HP phone support that this is a limitation of the application or program and not the printer. This makes sense (iPhoto on the Mac vs Windows Live Photo on the PC), however, our previous HP LaserJet printer offered a draft print option within iPhoto which suggests a driver limitation to me.
We are going to replace the printer with one that allows faster printing from the Mac unless this can be resolved. Help is appreciated and/or a recommended printer for the Mac.
P.S. This thread has been moved from Laserjet to Macintosh-Compatible Products. - Hp Forum Moderator
- HP Printers - Installing a Mac Printer Driver Using Apple Software Update
- HP Printers - Download and Install a Mac HP Printer Driver and Software
- HP AirPrint-Compatible Wireless Printers - Printing Over a Wireless Network with Apple's AirPrint FAQs
- Scan from OS X v10.9 Mavericks With the Full Feature HP Software for HP Multifunction Printers
- Scanning in OS X v10.10 Yosemite Without HP Software