Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all!

I have a problem with the scanner in my HP all in one. If I scan (using the printer function or apples ImageCapture: same result) the output is just a lot of vertical stripes (in colors when in color mode). Not a trace of the image I try to scan. The lines are there even if i scan an empty white page. I see the stripes both when doing a preview scan and an actual scan.

The problems are very similar regardless of if I use the flatbed or the feeder scanner (they are separate scanner hardware, yes?).

I have updated to the latest software for the printer/scanner and I am connecting over bonjour via wireless. I am on Os X 10.9.1.

Anybody having similar problems or is my scanner just plain broken?

Thanks in advance!

Jon

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Are you able to successfully copy with your printer?  If copies turn out similar to scans (vertical lines only) than there may be a problem with your scanner.  You can contact HP support for more assistance: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html.

I am an HP employee.
Opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of HP.

Reminder: Please select the Accept as Solution button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may select the Kudos button on any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks.
HP Recommended

I just experienced the same problem scanning and copying so i changed the ink cartridge and now there is no problem.

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

I also have this problem with LaserJet Pro 200 colour M276nw. 16 months old, working one day, not the next. Will not scan or copy, just prints vertical lines with or without document on scanner plate. Printer is working OK.

Have tried all suggestions on this forum. Reboot, power off, download latest drivers, reset printer, Changed ink cartidge that was down to 10% (others are 30% so not changed).

Mac OSX 10.9.4

Grateful if anyone has any suggestions. Can't believe the scanner might be broken.

HP Recommended

Did you ever find a solution to this?  I'm experiencing the same issue now...

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I cannot provide any help right now as I am experiencing the same problem. I just started this week. I delete the printer from PC, reinstalled driver. Test page appears ok as well as regular printing. However, scanner doesn't work and I get lines like you. I sure hope it's not major.

HP Recommended

@TJNevis, @Victoriaguy,

I understand that both of you are seeing vertical lines when scanning from your Laserjet M276nw. First, make sure the printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet and not a surge protector. Now, so I know where to begin I'd need to know the following:

1. If you are seeing the vertical lines when you copy as well as scan?
  2. Are you seeing the vertical lines when you copy from the flatbed? The document feeder? both?
  3. If you are seeing the lines from both the flatbed and the feeder are they in the same place?

Once I know this I'll be better able to assist you.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello,

The printer is plugged directly into the wall.  

I don't see the lines when copying in color or black and white, just when scanning.  It also only happens when using the flatbed - the document feeder works fine.

The flatbed is clean and I took an air can anyway to clean everywhere I could reach - but it's not dust lines, they are thick black, straight lines that run across the page when scanning.

What can I try to fix this?

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

I also was having problems with the vertical blue lines when scanning. My copy function was working properly. I searched a few solutions through Google, and finally hit on the correct one. You will be amazed on how simple a fix it really is. If you open up the lid of your copier you will obviously see the large piece of glass. Certainly this needs to be cleaned. But How many of you have noticed the smaller piece of glass above the large one? looking at it with the naked eye it looks clean, but I took a soft rag, put a little water on it (water only) and wiped it clean. To my amazement the rag has a blue tone to it. I scanned an document and the blue vertical lines dissappeared. Easy fix everyone.

@TJNevis wrote:

Hello,

The printer is plugged directly into the wall.  

I don't see the lines when copying in color or black and white, just when scanning.  It also only happens when using the flatbed - the document feeder works fine.

The flatbed is clean and I took an air can anyway to clean everywhere I could reach - but it's not dust lines, they are thick black, straight lines that run across the page when scanning.

What can I try to fix this?

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended
I see lines when using the flatbed and the feeder. Both pieces of glass are in pristine condition, clean and un scratched. I followed every single suggestion and still only get lines. I believe the scanner optical device is broken.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.