Question

Tutor
Autofac
Message 1 of 20 (4,115 Views)

Laserjet P1102w Connected wirelessly before--now won't. Have tried everything, see list.

Feels like I have tried everything, so I turn to here.

Installing (reinstalling, actually) a P1102w on a Macbook running Leopard. I had this printer working beautifully a year and a half ago, no problems whatever. Changed the network name, everything fell apart. I went away for a few months and have come back to a new ISP and router/modem and am now trying to set it up on the network.

Here is everything I have done so you have a sense of how this is failing me:

• Installed drivers from the cd
  • Plugged in the printer and configured the HTML Config and the Wireless settings in the HTML Config exactly as every thread and guide on this website tells me to do. It finds my network, it takes the WPA key and says that everything is fine.
  • Tried accessing it via "Bonjour" on Safari--it doesn't show up.
  • Tried powercycling everything, doesn't work.
  • Tried resetting the HTML config settings to factory default on the printer numerous times, nothing happens.
  • Tried setting my own IP address for the printer within the IP Range of the router/modem and connecting to it that way--no luck. Whenever I add the printer connected that way it says the sheets have printed within the print queue but nothing happens to the printer.
  • Have managed to connect to the printer under the AirPort drop down, the ad-hoc, but that still doesn't do anything.

The printer when plugged in via USB works perfectly. When (as directed) I delete the USB printer from my Print/Fax list, unplug the USB Cable and attempt to re-add the wireless printer (As I did a year and a half ago) nothing shows up in that list.

It used to show up as the printer name + Bonjour under "Kind", it doesn't any longer. Bonjour is turned on in HTML Config.

I have looked at the youtube videos and searched these forums and others with zero luck.

I called Tech Support but unforunately they are now charing you to fix problems (I'll leave my complaints on that for another thread...ha). I am sure $25 is worth it, but when you're a student and $25 is about half of your weekly food budget, it's hard to justify tech support.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edit:

Also, this sounds totally stupid, but stay with me.

I just went into the Add Printer window with the USB unplugged and, as usual, there is nothing there.

I clicked to "FAX" and then back to "DEFAULT".

When I clicked back to "DEFAULT" for a milisecond the printer name and "BONJOUR" flickered and was gone. It happens each time that I switch back to "DEFAULT". I can see it for barely a moment and it is gone.

The wireless light on the printer is also flickering pretty constantly.

Perhaps this information will help...

Edit2:

The plot thickens...

While nothing has really changed, in a strange twist of fate suddenly the network gave an ip address to the printer.

Where I couldn't have one "automatically" before, there is one now...

Distinguished Professor
-JohnB-
Message 2 of 20 (4,065 Views)

Re: Laserjet P1102w Connected wirelessly before--now won't. Have tried everything, see list.

Hi there,

I could use a little more information to help narrow troubleshooting. Specifically what version of OSX are you using?

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
Tutor
Autofac
Message 3 of 20 (4,027 Views)

Re: Laserjet P1102w Connected wirelessly before--now won't. Have tried everything, see list.

Thanks for the reply.

I am currently on 10.5.8.

I have never upgraded from Leopard, so it is on essentially the same OS as when it worked before.
Distinguished Professor
-JohnB-
Message 4 of 20 (3,999 Views)

Laserjet P1102w Connected wirelessly before--now won't. Have tried everything, see list.

autofac,

Since this problem does seem to be rather complex lets start with uninstalling with the 'scrubber option' like this:
1. Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller and click Continue
2. Highlight your device on the left pane
3. Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
4. There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
5. Click Continue and let it finish

Now, run a Software Update. This can be done by clicking the Apple in the top left of the screen then clicking Software Updates.

Next, let's reset the printing system:

Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Default tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

Finally, use these drivers for install: http://goo.gl/05GlH

With a scrubbed uninstall and reset printing system we should be back on track. Let me know if it helps, Best of Luck!
You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
Tutor
Autofac
Message 5 of 20 (3,934 Views)

Thank you for your reply.

"1. Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller and click Continue
2. Highlight your device on the left pane
3. Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
4. There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
5. Click Continue and let it finish"

I am not able to do this. There is no Hewlett Packard folder within my Applications and I see no uninstall option for any HP software.

I did the reset printers in the Printer window under Preferences as you suggested.

If it matters, I am running OSX Leopard 10.5.8. 

I did a fresh reinstall of the whole operating system yesterday and this problem is still occuring.

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 6 of 20 (3,832 Views)

Hello Autofac,
Thanks for the update. Very strange indeed, did you encounter any error messages when you reinstalled? Did you check applications again for a HP folder? At this point I would attempt to install via USB again and then change the connection to wireless when the installation is complete. Good Luck!
I worked for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 7 of 20 (3,799 Views)

Hello Autofac,
Just a quick follow-up to see if this problem has been resolved. I see when connected to USB directly every thing is fine, if your network can see your MAC, when you connect via USB to the printer can you update driver/install via ASU?
I worked for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

Tutor
Autofac
Message 8 of 20 (3,764 Views)

stix4,

Thank you for the reply.

There were no strange error messages when I first reinstalled it, everything went as normal.

The one thing I noticed is not  happening that may have happened when I first installed the printer after getting it (a year or two back) is that when you install it a small window pops up and has two drop-down menus for the drivers (or maybe firmware).

One menu is for Wired, one is for Wireless. Nothing ever shows up in the wireless dropdown, as in, it doesn't recognize the printer. I have faint memories that it did recognize it when I originally installed it.

I tried checking ASU. The printer is currently plugged in, on and recognized by the Macbook and the only updates in ASU are iLife, Java, and something for a Remote Desktop Client.

Tutor
Autofac
Message 9 of 20 (3,605 Views)

This problem still isn't resolved and I still have no idea what to do.

Any more suggestions?

Tutor
Autofac
Message 10 of 20 (3,491 Views)

I have upgraded from Leopard>Snow Leopard>Mountain Lion and the problem is still happening.

Open to suggestions...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation