Question

Honor Student
Shummer
Message 1 of 6 (149 Views)
Accepted Solution

Low Ink Pop-Ups

Hi,

Running OS X 10.9.4, but this issue has showed up with previous versions as well.  Whenever my 6500A gets low on ink, I get about 5000 "Low Ink" pop-ups on my desktop.  The "Okay" button does not auto highlight, so I have to click through every single one of them to clear them.  I've tried opening HP Utility Message Center, but it either locks up or I can't find anything useful.  Anyone know how to turn off these notifications?  I'm EXTREMELY annoyed by them.  Just in the space of typing this description, I've had about 20 new notifications.

Please Help.

Thanks,

Bryan

HP Support Agent
RnRMusicMan
Message 2 of 6 (119 Views)

Re: Low Ink Pop-Ups

Hi Shummer,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand that you are getting a lot of popups on your Mac OS X 10.9.4 everytime your 6500a is low on ink. I am happy to help you with this issue!

If you have other HP Printers installed then please take a look at this post, Re: HP Photosmart pop up windows, by my colleague @Sunshyn2005

If you do not have any other printers, please do the following:

1. Uninstall the software. Uninstalling the Printer Software.
  2. Re-install the software using the Apple Updates. OS X v10.9 Mavericks: Installing and Using the Printer on a Mac.

Hope this information helps you, and thank you for posting!  :smileyhappy:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Honor Student
Shummer
Message 3 of 6 (114 Views)

I unistalled according to both sets of instructions since I installed both ways.  I originally used the printer with the Mac software, but the scan function didn't work right until I installed the HP software.  Anyway, I think I got everything and emptied the trash.

Then, I followed the Install instructions for using Maverick, which I already had and no updates were available.  When I clicked the + to add a printer, my printer name showed up (Officejet 6500 E710n-z [59D2ED]).  Under "Use" there was only AirPrint, Auto Select, Generic PCL Printer, and Slect Software.  The instructions you sent said the computer name should appear there as well.  But, since it didn't, I left AirPrint in that spot and clicked "Add".  It started "Setting Up the device" but then I get an error saying it can't communicate with the printer.  Trust me, the printer is on and ready.  I even had it print a "wireless network status" page to make sure it was awake and ready to go.

Where do I go from here?

HP Support Agent
RnRMusicMan
Message 4 of 6 (110 Views)

Hi Shummer,

Thank you for your response! Please try to manually download, and install the update HP Printer Drivers v.2.16.1 for OS X, and then try adding the printer again.

Hope this is helpful, and have a nice day! :smileyhappy:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Honor Student
Shummer
Message 5 of 6 (105 Views)

Thanks for your help.  That seems to have worked.  I'm not quite clear on how this will keep me from getting the hundreds of pop-ups I used to get when ink gets low.  Can you shed any light on that?

HP Support Agent
RnRMusicMan
Message 6 of 6 (97 Views)

Hi Shummer,

Very welcome, glad that it worked for you! I believe that there most likely was a conflict with the software, and by uninstalling and re-installing, it makes sure you have the proper software, which should remove all the pop-ups.

Hope this answers your question, and let me know if you have any more issues! :smileyhappy:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation