Question

Honor Student
fwedeorange_
Message 1 of 9 (1,299 Views)

Mac OSX 10.8.2 with Photosmart B110a. "error occurred while communicating with scanner"

Hello, 

I have a problem with my printer. Apparently I can not scan from my all-in-one printer. They give me an error message "error while trying to communicate with scanner".

I just bought this MacBook and wanted to install the printer into my laptop but they wouldn't to communicate with the scanner.

My laptop is the base MacBook Pro with Mac OSX Version 10.8.2.

Is there any way to solve this problem? 

Thanks.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 9 (1,286 Views)

Re: Mac OSX 10.8.2 with Photosmart B110a. "error occurred while communicating with scanner&quot

Hi,

Is the printer connected via USB or through the network?

What application are you trying to use for scanning? (e.g. Image Capture, Print & Scan, etc.)?

For network connection, what is your router brand and model?

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
fwedeorange_
Message 3 of 9 (1,285 Views)

Re: Mac OSX 10.8.2 with Photosmart B110a. "error occurred while communicating with scanner&

Hi, My printer is connected through the network. I'm using the default Print & Scan software. The router I'm using is TP-Link. 300M Wireless N Router Model No. TL-WR841N / TL-WR841ND My printer is successfully connected to the Wi-Fi network since it has its own IP Address but my laptop cannot detect it even with HP Scan.
Provost
ShlomiL
Message 4 of 9 (1,269 Views)

Re: Mac OSX 10.8.2 with Photosmart B110a. "error occurred while communicating with scanner&

Hi,

Unlike Windows, Mac OS X uses Apple's Bonjour to communicate with the printer through teh local network.

From my experience, the TL-WR841 does not support Multicasting which is the network protocol uses by Bonjour and therefore the issue appears.

You may take a look at the following thread which deals with the same roputer model and removing the router did solve the problem which means the issue related with the router capabilities:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Mac-Printing-and-Scanning/hp-amp-mac-wireless-problems/m-p/1057865/high...

I would suggest contacting TP-Link Support and check for any possibility to allow Multicast support, that may also be known as Bonjour / mDNS / IGMP Snooping).

First run Apple Software Update and try scanning from Print & Scan, the HP Scan is not compatible with Mountain Lion.

You may disconnect the router from your router by resetting the wireless under the Wireless Settings menu.

Then turn the Wireless Radio On and connect your Mac directly to the printer by clicking Wi-Fi > Join Other Network > How Networks.

Select the printer SSID, will be listed as HPSETUP or B110 and allow 3-4 minutes to connect.

Try scanning now and check for any difference while scanning, I do believe you will see a difference while not using the router.

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
Chemainus57
Message 5 of 9 (1,264 Views)

Regents Professor, I have a similar problem and no one is answering my question.
I have a MacBook Error Cannot-scan-using-HP-Photosmart-C309a-on-MAC-OS-10.6.8 Wireless is the system with up-todate software, according to the message in a Professional HP expert I had to purge all the HP drivers from the MacBook empty the trash after letting mMacBook restart, then download the latest drivers and update the Mac, before returning to the Experts link, Problem I cannot find the link now... Can you help

I received an error trying to scan from the 309a to the MacBook with Wireless and Wired with USB. Neither worked.

PLEASE HELP... this is urgent, delay costing company business.

Thanks
Student
rcp27
Message 6 of 9 (879 Views)

I've just found this support thread having been unable to use the HP scan utility to scan from my B110a under OSX 10.8.  It appears that if I attempt to scan within the default "Preview" app within OSX, it is able to scan without trouble, while the HP Scan just tells me that it is not supported.  I don't know if this workaround is satisfactory for others with this problem, but it worked for me, so I thought I'd share my experience.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 7 of 9 (867 Views)

Re: Mac OSX 10.8.2 with Photosmart B110a. "error occurred while communicating with scanner"

I would recommend that you download the driver through Apple Software Update. 

Before we do that, we want to uninstall any incompatible software you may have installed on your computer by running the HP Uninstaller located under Applications > HP or the Hewlett-Packard folder.

After you do that, we will want to download the drivers. The drivers for your product are available through Apple Software Update.

Before you do anything, temporarily unplug the printer's USB cord from either the printer or the computer. Next, check for any available HP Update's by clicking the Apple icon and then Software Update.

If any update could not be retrieved, download the full HP Printer Drivers v.2.14 from Apple:

Once you have completed the installation you will want to plug your printer back in. After the printer is plugged back in, go into your print settings under System Preferences > Print & Scan. To add the printer, click the plus sign. You should see your printer listed here. Select it. If underneath the printer you see "Use:”.  Make sure that says the name of your printer and not AirPrint. Click Add down in the bottom right hand corner.

Best of luck,

Kyle
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Student
MrRaw
Message 8 of 9 (853 Views)

I cannot get my b110a printer scanner working on 10.8 osx. Uninstalled everything and still no luck. I can get it working via IP and IP scan but thats about it. Tried it all.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 9 of 9 (840 Views)

Re: Mac OSX 10.8.2 with Photosmart B110a. "error occurred while communicating with scanner"

Are you installing the full driver or the AirPrint driver when you add it under "Print & Scan"?

Thanks,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation