Mac and Printer (C3180) not communicating (913 Views)
Honor Student
silly65
Message 1 of 7 (913 Views)
Accepted Solution

Mac and Printer (C3180) not communicating

I am using MAC OS 10.4.11 and a 4 yr old C3180 printer.  It has never fully functioned (never have seen items in printer queue or been able to scan) but I ignored the problems.  Now, I cannot print at all.  The printer seems OK - it will copy.  I tried trouble shooting by resetting the printer queue per HP trouble shooting instructions.  It didn't work, so I tried uninstalling/reinstalling per HP trouble shooting instructions.  Reinstallation did not occur automatically and no printers were listed on the print box.  So, I seem to have made the problem worse!  I admit I am a non-techie, but Ii am frustrated and ready to buy a non-HP printer.

Help!

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 2 of 7 (901 Views)

Re: Mac and Printer (C3180) not communicating

How is the printer attached to your Mac?  Does the printer show up in the Apple System Profiler?  Have you downladed and tried to install the software for your 10.4 OS here?

Honor Student
silly65
Message 3 of 7 (886 Views)

Thanks.  Partial resolution of problems.  I can now print from computer.  However, nothing appears in the printer queue, so when I have a paper jam (frequent problem) I cannot delete a printing job.  Any help you can offer on that problem?

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 4 of 7 (876 Views)

Hmm,  Uninstall the HP software, reset the printing system and than repair disk permissions and than reinstall the latest software. 

Honor Student
silly65
Message 5 of 7 (872 Views)

Isn't that what I just did (see above) on your advice to get the printer and computer "talking" to each other?  Do I need to do that again?  I do appreciate your thinking about my problem, however.

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 6 of 7 (870 Views)

partially.  We updated the HP Software, however you still have printer queue issues.  Those are independent of the HP software, so to resolve this, I want you to repair disk permissions and than reset the printing system.

I am intriqued as to how print jobs are getting to the printer without going through the print queue.  That shouldn't happen. Where are you looking for the print jobs? If you can, be specific about how you get to that place as well.

Honor Student
silly65
Message 7 of 7 (864 Views)

To get to print queue, I look under "apple" icon, system preferences, print & fax. When I click on print queue, nothing happens.  Last night, as per instructions, I repaired the disk permissions and reinstalled the software via download.  I had uninstalled the software (using the HP help function) the day before.  I guess I can live without the print queue if I need to.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation