Mac driver for 722C (1597 Views)
Student
Flintstonemm
Message 1 of 7 (1,597 Views)

Mac driver for 722C

Always been a windows guy. Fed up.  Now buying a Mac.  I have 3 HP very economical 722C's.  HP does not list a driver for a HP 722  for a Mac operating system.  Do drivers exist?  If they do,  where? 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 7 (1,579 Views)

Re: Mac driver for 722C

Welcome to the world of Mac.  I got fed up 3.5 years ago after 20+ years inside HP, surrounded by Windoze, using it every day.  I'll never go back, never look back.  My house is now all Mac - shut down the last PC a few months ago.  Feels great!

Unfortunately, your old 722C's, as economical as they are, will present some challenges to you.  First, if I am not mistaken, these have parallel connectors, not USB.  So the first thing to do will be to get a USB to Parallel converter for each one.  I have no idea how well they work.

Once connected, add the printer via System Preferences > Print & Fax (click the + sign at the bottom of the printer list).  When you choose your printer, use the driver pull-down to select a Gutenprint driver.  That should work.  There may be others that will work as well (DeskJet 800 series, etc.).

I am employed by HP
Student
Macdog64
Message 3 of 7 (1,220 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello Mac person,

Yes, i too have a new Mac, and have been unable to make the printer HP722c work no driver available for the mac.

It is obvious that HP does not want you to use this printer with your new Mac, but would rather you go out and buy another printer to, of course MAKE MORE MONEY.

I tried your suggestions and it kept saying "printer paused" or "printer offline"......I tried with a word document and also with "Test Print page." I am so aggravated that this expensive Mac is not compatible.

Mac makes really tough for people to make things happen verses the PC ease of operation.

Help!  from Darryl, [Personal Information Removed]

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 7 (1,214 Views)

Did you try the Gutenprint drivers?: http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/

It has nothing to do with HP wanting you to buy a new printer, by the way.

I am employed by HP
Student
hollyinrio
Message 5 of 7 (1,115 Views)

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/ doesn't have a driver for hp deskjet 722c.

any other suggestions?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 7 (1,108 Views)

Sorry, but my only other suggestion would be to buy a modern printer.

I am employed by HP
Student
dcollins_mac
Message 7 of 7 (923 Views)

[ Edited ]

I switched to mac for the same reason about 5 years ago ... at that time, it was easier to find what you are looking for because there were more 722c diehards wanting to use one on their mac.

I found the pnm2ppa Ghostscript print filter on sourceforge and it worked for me.  I still have mac Tiger and I'm pretty sure pnm2ppa works on my wife's Leopard based laptop too.  Here's the link:

http://pnm2ppa.sourceforge.net/

You do need to get a parallel/USB adapter ... no big deal.

pnmtoppa is basic ... it just let's you print from a mac to a 722c ... won't do any of the periodic maintenance stuff (like aligning heads, 2-sided printing automation, etc) ..... but it does let you keep using your good ol' 722c's.  If you have an old PC laptop, keep it around for the sole purpose of aligning the heads using the original HP supplied 722c driver for windows.

If you ever find something that provides all of the services of the original 722c driver for windows, please note it in this thread.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation