Question

Honor Student
sw8p5t
Message 1 of 14 (8,207 Views)

MacOS 10.5.6+ HP C4280 - Scanning multiple pages to a .pdf file

[ Edited ]

I am trying to scan multiple pages to a single .pdf file using my HP Photosmart C4280 All-in-One. I have no trouble adding additional pages to the document. However, from my second page onwards, the scanner doesn't scan using my original settings. For example if I've set it to scan as Text with a 8.5" X 11" selection and locked the Resize Output Dimensions to that size, the first page will scan fine but the second one will include the area beyond the document I want to scan and resize the page accordingly. As a result, from the second page onwards, the pages in the document all have a white border on the bottom from where the page ends till the end of the scanner's glass.

(Incidentally, this isn't an issue of how I set it to scan, i.e. it makes no difference if I select Text, Text over Image, Image over Text or Image as I've tried altering that with no success. It also doesn't make a difference if I change the output document format, i.e. whether it's PDF, MS Word, etc. I've also downloaded the latest drivers from the respective websites for both my Mac & the the HP All-in-One.)

I have searched through HP's Support & Troubleshooting Web-site, HP's Support Forum, Apple's Knowledgebase & the web and haven't been able to find an answer on how to prevent this from happening. I would therefore sincerely appreciate any help from members of the support forum community.

Thanks in advance. 

MacBook Pro (2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

MacOS 10.5.6

HP Photosmart C4280 All-in-One (connected via USB) 

Message Edited by sw8p5t on 06-14-2009 09:14 PM
Student
Brian519
Message 2 of 14 (7,822 Views)

Re: MacOS 10.5.6+ HP C4280 - Scanning multiple pages to a .pdf file

I have had exactly the same experience multiple times.  On the second page of scanning on, the scanner automatically resizes the scanning area to whatever it chooses, usually slightly beyond any print it finds.  I cannot reset the scanning area after the first page.  Therefore the second page comes out magnified, not the original size, when printed.  This is extremely aggravating.  I have not found the solution yet.  All I want to do is set the scan area to 8.5 x 11 fixed. Somebody please help.

Student
captom
Message 3 of 14 (7,544 Views)

Greetings,

I am having the same problem using HP Scan Pro 7.4.5 with an HP7410 all in one with a MacBook Pro running MacOS 10.5.8.  I have tried a variety of preference settings and scan settings in order to get subsequent document scans to maintain the page size scaling and scan area selections I set for the first page.  In every case, the page size, scale and scan area I set for the first page is changed on subsequent pages when scanning a multipage document.  I can't believe that someone from HP has not yet responded to this problem.  If you have a fix, let us know.  If it is a software bug, let us know that as well and then fix it...

Thanks,

Tom 

Honor Student
garidisc
Message 4 of 14 (6,554 Views)

[ Edited ]

Honor Student
garidisc
Message 5 of 14 (6,552 Views)

I had a similar problem. I realized that I must go to "Scan" in the menu bar at the top and then under the New Scan option select document. If it is set to pictures it won't prompt for adding pages to the same file.

Honor Student
jwijk
Message 6 of 14 (6,418 Views)

Having the same problem ... it sounds like a joke that such a basic function (scanning multiple pages into one document with fixed size) doesn't work with HP scanners. I guess it works on PC though ... can anyone confirm if this problem is only when scanning from a Mac?

BR,

Jonas

Honor Student
jwijk
Message 7 of 14 (6,403 Views)

Have tried with a PC now, and works just fine. So anyone thinking of buying a HP scanner ...
Got a PC - go ahead.

Got a Mac - go for another brand if you want to be able to scan multiple pages into one PDF file.

BR,

Jonas

PS This problem is 1 out of 3 serious problems I have with using my c6380 with a Mac. Bought it becasue Apple promoted it during a sale, were you got a "nice" deal on this HP c6380 when you bought a Mac. :-)

Student
droid2
Message 8 of 14 (6,011 Views)

It doesn't work with my PC, anyone got a solution? I will have to by a different scanner if this can't work and it won't be HP.

Top Student
pillowranch
Message 9 of 14 (4,801 Views)

WoooHooo! I found a work around for Mac users.

1) Put first page in scanner and set all image adjustments in HP Scan Pro. Just before you choose Accept, under the Scan menu, choose Save Profile Settings (this avoids resetting each time).

2) Now choose Accept and it will save that page to a file.  Change to next page on scanner and under Scan menu choose Load Profile, selecting your saved profile.

3) Repeat step 2) until all pages are scanned to individual files.

4) Go to Finder and find your individual files (probably in Scanner Output folder in Documents folder of user folder). Change their file names so that they will load in the order you want them in your PDF, such as "Mine01, Mine02, etc."

5) Select those just renamed files using the shift key to select them all at once. Under File menu, choose Open With and select Preview.

6) In Preview, all your images will appear in a thumbnail bar on the right. select one thumbnail then under Edit menu choose Select All.

7) Now under File choose Print.

8) In the Print window choose the PDF buttom at the bottom of the window and save it as a PDF. Name the file and choose Save.

9) TAAADAAA!!!, Now say a prayer that those crazy people at HP will one day see the light that the Mac platform is a superior platform, and is worthy of better debugged HP software. Hah!

Honor Student
sw8p5t
Message 10 of 14 (4,761 Views)

Dear pillowranch,

It sure sounds like a workable, albeit convoluted, solution. Congratulations on figuring it out. :smileyhappy:

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to accept it as a solution as I found an easier solution - I switched to a Canon ;op (word to the wise - no such problem on a Canon; better ink cartridge lives too while we're on the subject of comparisons) and consequently, I no longer have an HP printer to use to test this.

Maybe somebody else on this thread can verify it works on their system too and your solution can be accepted and we can consider this issue solved. Anybody?

Thanks again for all your postings.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation