Maverick 10.9 prints black and white only (2407 Views)
Top Student
betsy_k
Message 1 of 23 (2,407 Views)

Maverick 10.9 prints black and white only

Just bought a new MacBook Pro operating Maverick 10.9. New to Mac.  My HP Officejet Pro L7650 was recognized as a network printer. However, everything I print comes out as black and white. I cannot find options to select color printing or make other adjustments.  I've scoured the Apple forums too.  Our other desktops and laptops can print in color on this printer--it's only the new MacBook that's the issue.  Is there a new driver that I need?  Ideas?

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 2 of 23 (2,401 Views)

Re: Maverick 10.9 prints black and white only

Hi Betsy_K,

Let's make sure the Printer can make a color copy just to rule out a Hardware issue.  Are you using the Airprint driver or the HP driver?  For the Airprint driver, there is a checkbox for Black and White printing when you go to File/Print,  For the HP driver, the option is in the PaperType/Quality tab.  You'll see "color options"  with a little arrrow next to it.  Click on that arrow and select the color options you want to use.

Top Student
betsy_k
Message 3 of 23 (2,392 Views)

Thanks for trying to help!!!  

First, the printer works great in color right now--I can print in color from my HP desktop computer, can make color copies, etc.

This is a brand new Macbook Pro, and when I went to add a printer, this printer was the only choice.  I selected it although the model number is slightly off--my printer says HP Officejet Pro L7650 All-in-One.  The choice on the mac printers  available said Officejet Pro 7600.  I can't tell from this what type of driver it is--sorry--I'm completely new to Mac.  When I go to the options tab, I don't see any arrows or options though.  I wondered if the new Mac 10.9 OS is too new to be supported. 

Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 11.08.21 AM.png

Top Student
betsy_k
Message 4 of 23 (2,390 Views)

and here is all that I see under the options tab:

Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 11.14.28 AM.png

I tried checking and unchecking that "duplexer" box, to no avail.

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 5 of 23 (2,382 Views)

No worries. We'll figure it out.  The screenshots didn't come through, but I think I know what is going on.  I think from your description, you are in the printer queue.

Let's do this:

From your web browser (probably Safari right now) Look at the top, you should see an Apple icon, the name of the web browser (Safari, Firefox, etc.)  and then File. 

Click on File

Now click on Print

This will open up the Printer options where you'll find the color options I talked about earlier.

Top Student
betsy_k
Message 6 of 23 (2,368 Views)

Bless you for sticking with me here. I really have never had major computing issues in the last 25 years.  But this is a sticky little problem.  I will try to reload a different size of my screen shot.  It shows up in the preview, but then did not show in the message for me either.

I tried your file/print idea. Still no options regarding printer settings or color.  

Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 11.14.28 AM.png

Top Student
betsy_k
Message 7 of 23 (2,365 Views)

...and the main options page --let's see if attaching this screen shot will work

Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 11.08.21 AM.png

Top Student
betsy_k
Message 8 of 23 (2,362 Views)

I'm using Chrome, and it does show the screen shots.  Hope you can see them too.

Originally, I tried printing my Google Calendar for October--color on screen, prints in color from my windows Vista desktop, but only prints b&w from macbook.  Then I tried a photo. Same thing.  This is why I figure there is a configuration or driver issue.

Do you suppose there is a lag between Apple's new OS release, and HP's drivers to make them compatible?  For what it's worth, my kids can print on their macbooks in color.  

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 9 of 23 (2,356 Views)

OK, I can see them now.  You are still in the printers queue.  

Exit out/Cancel out of these windows.

Get back to where are are only seeing this forum window in Chrome.

Hold the command key (It probably has an icon that looks like a cloverleaf on it, should be right next to your space bar. 

Hold that and press "P"  So Command+P

This is your print dialog window

Take a screenshot of that and post it please. We are almost there.  

Top Student
betsy_k
Message 10 of 23 (2,339 Views)

When I attempt to print in this way (command-p), then the PREVIEW is in black and white instead of showing the colors. Attaching screen shot.Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 3.36.22 PM.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation