Question

Top Student
LEFTWIZ
Message 1 of 45 (88,887 Views)
Accepted Solution

No Scan Options

My officejet 6500 will not scan pictures or documents. It say no scan options, refer to device documentation to troubleshoot. Where is device documentations to troubleshoot? I can't find it and my scanner is not responding. What do I do next
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 45 (88,886 Views)

Re: No Scan Options

What version of OS X?  How is the printer connected and to what?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
LEFTWIZ
Message 3 of 45 (88,884 Views)

Working with iMac OS 10.6.2 connected in the manner shown by HP layout
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 45 (88,872 Views)

OK, I'll assume you are connected by USB.  Scanning is best done through either Preview or Image Capture (in Applications folder).

If that still does not work, do this:smileyvery-happy:elete and re-add the printer in the print queue:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Select the printer in question and click the minus sign at the bottom of the list
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

If this does not work, do the same thing, only instead of the second step, right (control) click the print queue area and select Reset Printing System.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
sauer1284
Message 5 of 45 (88,798 Views)

I was experiencing the same issues as the 100's of posts found on the internet concerning the HP Officejet 6500 not working with Mac OS X Snow Leopord.  I tried everything suggested.  I searched and searched the Apple & HP websites for an answer.  I downloaded the drivers that were supposed to be for Snow Leopord.  All to no avail!!!

I attempted a chat with an HP rep, but they don't support mac issues through the chat option.  He sent me an email link, which is the only mac support available.

I was very fortunate to be able to work with a rep who was patient and equally determined as myself to get this problem resolved.  It took several days, and about 8 different failed attempts, but in the end - SUCCESS!!!

EVERYTHING WORKS!!!!  Fax, Scan, Print, HP Utility (which has been repeatedly reported as not compatible with the Mac OS X - even by Apple and HP)

Following are the steps taken to resolve the issues:

Invoke Scrubber (the process of removing complete HP software from Mac.  You will not be able to find any option by name Scrubber in HP Software in Mac.  Scrubber will remove the software for all HP printers.  If you have any other HP printer installed, you may have to reload the software and set up the printer again)

During the process of uninstall, it might prompt you to enter the password of your computer to continue with the uninstall process.  Please enter the password and click on Continue.

1) Click on Go menu (Click the desktop, then look at the menu in the bar at the top of the page)

2) Select Applications

3) Select the Hewlett Packard Folder (if it is not there, then you can skip this entire step)

4) Select HP Uninstaller

5) Click on Continue

6) Select the printer.  press and hold Control + Options + Command (Apple) keys on the keyboard simultaneously.

7) Click on Uninstall

8) You will get a popup window - "Are you sure you want to uninstall all HP Software packages"

9) Click on OK to continue

Note:

1) Scan functionality is supported by scanning directly from the computer and not by pushing the Scan button on the printer as this is not supported with this version of the scan interface in Snow Leopard.

2) HP Scan Pro software (from Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5) is not supported in Snow Leopard.  The HP icon for HP Device Manager still in the dock after upgrade is not functional and should be removed.

=======Verify Disk Permissions and Repair Disk Permission=======

1. Click on Go tab from the menu bar at the top

2. Select Utilities tab

3. Click on Disk Utility

4. Once the disk utility pops up, select the hard drive and click on Verify Permissions tab

5. This may take some time to complete, as the Mac will try to verify all the permissions for the hard drive.

6. Once the Verify Disk Permission is complete, restart the Mac.

7. Restart the Mac and follow steps 1-3

8. In the 4th step, seclect Repair Disk Permissions.

9. Restart the Mac.

**Upon restart, you may receive a message, asking if you would like to install the HP Printer.  Select "No".

Now, download and install the software and driver for your printer from the link given below, by copying and pasting it into your browser.

NOTE: Please complete the fax setup process during installation.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=oj-74786-1&1c=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

Instructions for Scanning:

1. Open Mac hard drive/Applications/Hewlett Packard folder.

2. Double click on HP Scan.app

3. Click on Pictures or Documents

4. Click on Scan

5. When prompted, select Yes or No to add another page to the scan.  The scan preview opens.

6. Save the scan

Instructions for Faxing:

You will fax directly from the machine, just as if it were a regular fax machine.

1. Place your original document on the scan glass or in the automatic feeder tray.

2. Press the FAX button, and follow the on-screen instructions on the unit. (you can actually set up speed dial buttons through the software on the computer!)

3. Press the Start Fax button on the unit.

To enable fax confirmation via the device control panel.

1. Press Setup

2. Press Print Report, and then Fax Confirmation

3. Press the right arrow button to select one of the following, and then press OK

*Off: Does not print a fax confirmation report when you send and receive faxes successfully.  This is the default setting.

*On Fax Send: Prints a fax confirmation report for every fax you send.

*On Fax Receive: Prints a fax confirmation report for every fax you receive.

*Send & Receive: Prints a fax confirmation report for every fax you send and receive.

To see the faxes you have sent:

1. Click on the HP Utility icon in your dock (also found in the HP folder in Applications)

2. Open fax logs

I hope this helps everybody!!!!

Student
WES2FER
Message 6 of 45 (87,968 Views)

I have the above mentioned problem, but over Ethernet only-USB works fine. When I click "OK" for "Select Computer" to scan, it says "No Scan Options." I am running Snow Leopard 10.6 and am using an Airport Extreme Router and can print via Ethernet just fine, just no scanning. Any suggestions here?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 45 (87,967 Views)

The scan button does not yet work with Snow Leopard.  Try scanning through either Preview or Image Capture (in Applications folder).  If this works, in some instances it has somehow enabled the scan button on the printer, in other cases not.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
profMontage
Message 8 of 45 (72,962 Views)

I'm using 10.6.5 and an Officejet J6480 all-in-one and it used to work fine!

I don't know why, but one day I also got 'no scanner selected' or perhaps 'no scanner options'.

I reset the printer options and now I don't even have a 'scan' button in the printer window!

I've downloaded the 10.6X drivers from HP, reinstalled (but not persevered with the fax) and still no scan button!

any suggestions?

ta

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 45 (72,930 Views)

If you are using Snow Leopard and have HP software for pre-Snow Leopard (either from a CD not marked as compatible with 10.6 or you recently upgraded to Snow Leopard and had the HP software on your Mac before you upgraded - even if you did a standard uninstall of the old software or installed new software over the top of it) you must uninstall the software using the 'scrubber' option.  You may have to install the 'wrong' software again before doing this:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Restart your Mac

Now, run a Software Update.

Finally, download and install the "Full Featured" Driver and Software from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
mainelysleeples
Message 10 of 45 (72,914 Views)

Could this also work for a C309G which scanned to MacBook & iMac with 10.4 but now does not scan since both Macs have been upgraded to 10.6.5?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation