Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

One more point about the solution of my problem.

I used an email address by Apple at first and can't scan to email anymore since the update to MacOSX Yosemite. The problem is the two-step verification of the password, when the printer tries to send the email to the smtp server of Apple. 

To avoid this problem, you can either use another email address from another email provider or, especialy for Apple, you can use an application specific password. Please consult the FAQ of Apple to find out, how to get such password (e.g. here: http://support.apple.com/en-us/ht6186). 

HP Recommended

What I meant was when I open HP Scan or ImageCapture, there is no scanner listed. Also, when I look at the printer in the System Preferences, there is no longer a "Scan" button that used to be there.

HP Recommended

Hi @BigE604 

This is an issue with the OS not HP. I know exactly what you are explaining now.  I saw this happen before to somebody when they upgraded to Mavericks. The solution in that case was to reinstall the OS X.

Please take a look at the following Forums conversation; Mac Rumors Forums.

In this example you will see the issue was with a Canon printer, but the issue is one in the same.

I do not know from experience how to reinstall the OS X, you may need to reach out to Apple, but another customer I worked with recently posted how he Reinstalled ; Reinstall OS X

Please let me know the out come of your efforts.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

@Sunshyn2005, thank you for your response, but the latest is that the scanner does show up in Image Capture for one user on the iMac, but not another. It is a shared device connected wirelessly. Any ideas?

HP Recommended

I have tried repairing the disk permissions and rebooting my Mac. 

No issues with printing now, but I can't scan.

I have tried from the System Preferences 'Scan' tab. Comes up with the error "The scanner failed to complete the scan" 

I cannot use HP scan  - comes up with the error "Scanner reported an error - An error occured during scanning"

I cannot print direct from the HP Officejet Pro 8600 'Scan to Computer' function. Comes up with the error "Scan unsuccessful" 

I have enabled "Scan from Computer" in the print utility. 

Can you please help??? I need my scanner! 

HP Recommended

Hi @BigE604 

Instead of using printer sharing, can you ad the printer to the both Macs via the network connection?

Under 'Kind', it should say Bonjour Multifunction. Maybe the printer sharing is the root cause now.

@Skittels 

I understand you can print but are unable to scan. I would like to help you with this, and I know you have tried some of the following steps, but please perform the steps below in the order presented.

Scrub/ Uninstall

• Open the Applications folder > HP or Hewlett Packard folder > HP Uninstaller
  • Click continue, click on one of the printers in the list.
  • * Only do this step if you do not have any other HP Printers.  Hold down Control, Option and Command, While holding the three buttons down,
  • Click uninstall.

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon (   ), and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan  dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or  Ctrl  +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OK to confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name and Password.
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected
Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Repair Disk Permissions
  1. On the Dock, click Applications, and then click Utilities.
  2. Double-click Disk Utility.
  3. Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left (by default this is "Macintosh HD").
  4. Click the Repair Disk Permissions button at the bottom of the window.
  5. Restart both the computer and the printer.

Download and install this file > HP-Inkjet-SW-OSX-Mavericks_v12.34.37.dmg

Download and install the HP Printer Drivers for OS X.

Also, when you add the printer, you should have the HP driver to choose.

1. Select Add other Printer or Scanner                                                       
    2. Select the printer you are adding and next to 'Use' you can select the printer driver 

I hope this helps.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I too am having trouble with the Scanner on my HP Officejet 6500 after upgrading to Yosemite. I followed your procedures to reset, remove drivers, reinstall, etc. I removed the hp folder in Library/Printers, removed the PPD files, deleted the printer, rebooted, etc.

It always goes back to the same problem. I put a document in the autofeeder and it says document loaded on the printer but when I go to System Preferences -> Printers -> HP OfficeJet 6500 -> Scan, the window comes up and says "No document loaded".

This worked fine under Mavericks. This is super annoying!

HP Recommended

Hi @tompusateri 

Can you try loading the page on the flat bed instead of on the document feeder, and then change the source setting on the computer to flat bed? I just want to see what happens. It sounds like you have communication, like you have the scan options available, but that the issue has something to do with the scan source.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. If I switch to the flatbed scanner, I get "The overview scan failed to complete".

HP Recommended

Hi @tompusateri 

This sounds like an issue with the Apple scan. I suggest either contacting Apple, or maybe reloading the OS X.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.