Question

Student
thetotal1000
Message 1 of 13 (6,077 Views)

OSX - Adding a photosmart C4380 series to a wireless network

Model: Photosmart C4390 - (often listed as a C4380 series)

Operating System: OS X 10.8

Hi there, 
I'm trying to set up my dad's printer  for use on his wireless network. I can set up the printer for use as a bonjour multifunction device on my machine, but only I can access the printer.
I'd like anyone who connects to the network to use the printer. Eventually, I'd like guest to be able to use their iPads and other devices to print.

Is there any way to add this printer directly to the wireless network in OS X?

The in-device menu doesn't show an option for wireless setup, only "Wireless Radio On"; "Wireless Radio Off", "Restore Network Defaults", "Print Network Configuration Page", and "Run Wireless Network Test"

Any help would be appreciated

Master's Graduate
Mandy_G
Message 2 of 13 (6,019 Views)

Re: OSX - Adding a photosmart C4380 series to a wireless network

Hi thetoral1000,

This device does have a feature named USB to Wireless in the HP Setup Assistant. So if you have your device connected via USB to your Mac and then run the HP Setup Assistant (located in Applications/Hewlett-Packard/Device Utilities folder) you should find the option USB to Wireless there. Here you can insert the details for your Infrastructure Network and submit it via USB to your device. Hence this is complete you can unplug the USB cable and use your device in Wi-Fi. 

Let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,
Mandy

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Thumb up in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own
Honor Student
fmercier
Message 3 of 13 (4,599 Views)

Hi, I'm having the same kind of problem on MAC OS 10.8.

I can't connect the printer to my home network and so I can't print or scan anything. Connect through USB, I can only print, not scan.

When I use the HP Setup Assistant, to try to configure it to be used wirelessly, it doesn't detect my home network, even if I insert the SSID manually. My network signal is strong throughout the house and this is a recent problem which started spontaneously.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Master's Graduate
Mandy_G
Message 4 of 13 (4,594 Views)

Hi fmercier, 

Please verify the channel used for your wireless network. Some have Channel set to Automatic in their routers and it happens that the router then uses channel 13 for instance which our devices do not support. So best option is to set this manually to channel 1, 6 or 11. 

Addtionally make sure that no MAC address filtering is used in the router. The encryption could be another item to be checked. Also for the SSID make sure that no special characters are used. 

Last but not least its important that your router supports Bonjour /mDNS/Multicast. Some routers need to have specific settings for it enabled. 

And if it was working before, then maybe a restart of the router could be helpful as well. 

Best regards,
Mandy

Honor Student
fmercier
Message 5 of 13 (4,587 Views)

Hi,

I need really specific, step-by-step, instructions...

In the old days, when you could download the drivers, install and configure the wireless connection, I had no problem solving these things. But with this MAC OS 10.8, you have to wait for the system to automatically install the drivers for you.

The problem is, it only detects the printer when connected via USB. But then I can't imagine how to configure it to wireless. When not connected via USB, the computer doesn't even detect a wireless printer.

Master's Graduate
Mandy_G
Message 6 of 13 (4,583 Views)

Hi fmercier, 

So I understand your printer was not in the network before. Well, in that case it should have the default network settings still, right? If that is the case, you may connect the Photosmart via ad-hoc to your Mac. 

1. Make sure the wireless radio is activated.

2. On the Mac click on the WiFi icon on the top menu bar and select the SSID of your Photosmart - starts with hp

Note: If the Wifi icon is not on the top menu bar, then go into System Preferences - Network and enable it from there. 

3. It might take a moment to establish the connection via adhoc. Hence it is done, your Photosmart should have received an IP - check on the Config page. 

4. Insert the printers IP address in the URL field of your Internet browser, e.g. Safari and click enter. The EWS (embedded web server) should open. 

5. In the EWS go to the Networking tab. Under Connections - Wireless and Advanced  insert your network settings. 

Best regards,
Mandy

Honor Student
fmercier
Message 7 of 13 (4,571 Views)

Hi,

I've tried that. I chose the hpsetup network, inserted the IP address on Safari, changed the SSID to the name of my home network, inserted the password in the ad hoc and also tried the infrastructure field, but then nothing happens, the web page just stops loading...
Master's Graduate
Mandy_G
Message 8 of 13 (4,559 Views)

hi fmercier, 

Because you are using a router you should use the infrastructure option in the EWS Wireless setup. Please try it again and also try refreshing the page. Maybe you can also share a screenshot, so I can see if you are inserting the details correctly (make sure serial number is not visible). 

Best regards,
Mandy

Honor Student
fmercier
Message 9 of 13 (4,545 Views)

Hi,

Somehow, I don't know how, the printer is now connected to my wireless network. I can print wirelessly, but the scanner won't work through any software. Even if I press the scan button on the printer, it says that wireless or USB aren't detected - and I had just printed something wirelessly.

The only way to scan is to go to System Preferences - Print and scan - open scanner.

Any ideas?

Master's Graduate
Mandy_G
Message 10 of 13 (4,535 Views)

Hi fmercier, 

great to hear the Photosmart is now detected and printing works as well as scanning via Print & Scan. 

As there is no full feature software for your device in OSX 10.8 with HP Scan I guess you have an old version installed which  is not compatible with 10.8. That will be the cause why scanning via HP Scan is not working. Please do use the scanning option via Print & Scan, Image Capture or Preview. 

Also see this document: OS X v10.8 Mountain Lion: Installing and Using the Printer on a Mac with Mountain Lion

Scanning from the front panel of the device though does only work with compatible HP Full Feature software installed. As this is not avialable for OSX 10.8 this option will not work with the Photosmart C4380. 

Best regards,
Mandy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation