Question

Honor Student
dianepbh
Message 1 of 11 (5,682 Views)

OfficeJet Pro 8000 Out of Paper - But I have plenty of paper!

Bought my OfficeJet Pro about three weeks ago. have printed a total of 44 pages on it. Have already had to "reload" the paper after most jobs. I keep getting an error that the printer if out of paper. However, there is plenty of paper in there. What should takes a few seconds to print becomes an ordeal.

In addition, I am getting lots of "noises" as the print heads seem to be realigning after every job and any time I turn it back on. I can't just turn the printer on and print... It takes a while before it can get started.

Am about ready to take this printer back to the store.

What am I missing?  

Thanks for any help :smileyhappy:

Diane

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 11 (5,671 Views)

Re: OfficeJet Pro 8000 Out of Paper - But I have plenty of paper!

I have an Officejet Pro 8000 prototype and it's been a reliable workhorse of a printer for me.

The false out-of-paper condition implies the printer is having trouble picking the paper from the tray.  You might try reseating the duplexer located at the back of the printer.

If you're still having trouble and the paper is not curled, or used and not especially heavy or light weight,  then you may just have a bad printer.  Since the printer is new, it's should still under warranty and replacement might be your next step.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Student
JamesSt87
Message 3 of 11 (5,398 Views)

[ Edited ]
I'm having the exact same problems with "paper out" and the minutes on end of realignment on my 8000. Trying to print on 8 1/2 x 11 photo paper has wasted about 20 sheets, which aren't cheap. It's ticking me off. I know it's still under warranty, but by the time I spend $30 to ship this thing back to HP, it's just not worth it anymore. That's half the cost of this printer or a replacement from the competition. Once upon a time, HP products were reliable and fairly easy to use. Nowadays, they're a usability nightmare. We bought a big, freestanding multifunction copier/printer/scanner for the office last year and it cost us $3k. It's okay as a printer and copier, but using it as a scanner means having to go through a long sequence of menus, each of which has a 3-5 second delay after you press the selection. And then it's impossible to do multipage scans on the glass because it resets after each page. If you need to do multipage scans, you'd better be able to take the documents apart and stack them in the document feeder. Put originals in the sheet feeder and press "start" and about 25% of the time, the button beeps as acknowledgement but it doesn't do anything. We have to press and hold the "start" button for a second. It's like HP engineers have never tested these things themselves. My cheap LCD monitor has a high-intensity LED power indicator that is visible in any room but the $3k HP has a cheap, standard LED that is barely visible under fluorescent lights. And why is this 8000 so big? It's the biggest letter/legal inkjet I've ever seen and as bulky as the Laserjets we had in our office over 20 years ago. If the only option I have is to send it back, I think I'm done with HP printers.
Message Edited by JamesSt87 on 11-22-2009 06:19 PM
Tutor
pelle
Message 4 of 11 (4,863 Views)

Hi Diane,

I hope that you have moved on in your life since this posting, as I also made the apparently not best decision, to buy this printer in November 2009. 

I got the exact same issue as you reported here, that it, this printer does not load the paper! The nice HP people has replaced the printer 4 (four) times now, and are still thinking about what to do! 

This printer has apparently some issues with loading papers, and one of the replacements, now returned to HP,  did also chew up the printheads in some way. It would be great if HP had some type of tracking system, that could help them and the customers to identify issues like this, so it would not take many many months before they recognized such issues.

Tutor
pelle
Message 5 of 11 (4,861 Views)

Sorry, coming back, but the noise you  hear when "turning on the printer" comes since you apparently turn of the printer in between the print jobs. This makes the printer to go through an initialization process.  The user guidelines for this printer says, that one should not turn of the printer in between print jobs, as it automatically goes into a "sleep" mode. You can see that the "power button"  is blinking, and it consumes very little power in sleep mode. You will use a lot of extra ink if you completely turn of this printer from the power supply. Then it will go through the start up process as if it is a completely new printer that you are setting up.

Honor Student
dianepbh
Message 6 of 11 (4,860 Views)

Unfortuatnely NO ONE from HP ever contacted me and I was put on hold way too many times. So, I got no satisfaction and  the problems continue. Every single time I turn on the printer it takes up to 30-40 minutes before the first print job  ever runs. The "aligning" of the heads takes that long... back and forth and back and forth. ARGH!!

Needless to say, since HP refused to even help out, I will not get another HP printer again. And I will make sure to tell anyone who asks how poor this printer  (and the customer service) was.

So, I am still disappointed in the printer.

Thanks for asking

Diane

Honor Student
dianepbh
Message 7 of 11 (4,859 Views)

Pelle,

I just saw your post. I wil try this "not turning" off mode to see how much that will help. That might explain how I ran out of ink even though I have hardly used the printer (less than 50 sheets of paper since I bought the printer.... due to the frustrating behvior of the printer.)

THANKS for your help!!!!!

Diane

Honor Student
dubois800
Message 8 of 11 (4,615 Views)

Diane,

I have had the EXACT same problems, and sad to say, they persist even now that I don't turn off the printer. Still getting "Out of paper" messages which are wrong, still blowing through ink cartridges at the speed of light even though I print so rarely.

I've never had such an awful printer -- or any piece of equipment -- in my life. I hate how much money I've wasted on this.

Honor Student
gbsopp
Message 9 of 11 (4,477 Views)

[ Edited ]

I think I resolved the problem by removing all references to Tray 2 (that I could find).  I noticed the Printer Properties defaults that it is installed, but it is not on mine and I think it is the source of the problems.  Anyway, for the moment it is working and these are the adjustments I made:

Printer Properties, General tab, Printing Preferences button, Features tab, Paper source: Tray 1

Printer Properties, General tab, Printing Preferences button, Features tab, Printer Services button, Services tab, Paper Handling button, Default Tray: Tray 1, Tray Lock: Tray 2

Printer Properties, Device Settings Tab, Tray 2: Not Installed

I'll also add that somehow I had the printer set up twice in the Control Panel > Printers.  I believe this was not the problem since after I deleted both and added back one, the problem remained.  The reason I mention it is that if there are two and one of them gets these "fixes" and there is another configured for Tray 2 (in cases where it does not exist), then this could block the "fixes" from working.  Exending this thought, perhaps if other users on the network have their Printer Properties configured incorrectly, I wonder if this could foul up the printer interface and tell everyone that it is "out of paper."  Just a thought, but I think it's probably right.

Student
cjpublow
Message 10 of 11 (4,336 Views)

I tried the tray solution, but no luck.  I did find a firmware update on the HP site (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=37604...) I just flashed it onto the printer so I don't know if it will work or not.  The firmware was just posted on the site in July.  #1 on the list of fixes is 'Improved paper pick performance', we'll see.  I also upgraded the driver at the same time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation