Officejet 6700 duplex printing problem (1486 Views)
Top Student
nich7503
Message 1 of 17 (1,486 Views)

Officejet 6700 duplex printing problem

Hi. When I select duplex printing on my new Officejet 6700, the image looks squashed (horizontally) so the circle looks like an upright oval. It prints fine when in single-sided mode.

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 2 of 17 (1,473 Views)

Re: Officejet 6700 duplex printing problem

Hello Nich7503,

Thanks for the post.  Did this just start happening?  In other words, have you been able to print two-sided sucessfully in the past?  If so, I would suspect either a paper jam or small piece of paper in the duplexer preventing the page from printing correctly.  I'm not sure which MAC OS you are running but check the link below for some additional tips...Good Luck!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01935823&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5058338&tmp...

I worked for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

Top Student
nich7503
Message 3 of 17 (1,454 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

This is a brand-new, out-of-the box printer. I'm just testing the features and am alarmed to find one that doesn't work. The image prints fine if I don't do duplex mode.

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 4 of 17 (1,441 Views)

Hello again Nich7503,

Thanks for the update.  Agreed, strange.......The image that you are adding to the back of page 1, is it a graphic?  Is it possible that it may be larger than the print region?  If you created a new file (two pages) with some text on page one and a a few lines of text on page two and then printed it duplex mode, would you still have the same symptom?  (squashed output on page two?)

Let me know the results.....

Thanks!

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

Top Student
nich7503
Message 5 of 17 (1,429 Views)

I just tried a single character, i.e. text, no graphics. The letter 'O', Arial font (because it gives a reasonably round shape so easy to tell if distorted), 400pt. When printed single-sided, the letter is OK. When printed in duplex mode, the letter is squashed.

HP, if you're listening, I'm considering looking for a refund for a defective product.

Top Student
nich7503
Message 6 of 17 (1,424 Views)

The problem is best shown in these pictures. It is the letter 'O', Arial font, 400pt. The first is printed single-sided, the second as duplex. The duplex print, 'squashes' the letter by approx. 8mm.

Single-side.jpgDuplex.jpg

I've been through a number of updates and other tests, none of which has fixed the problem.

• Firmware update (2012-10-12 version MPM3CN1232AR)
  • HP Print & Scan doctor (2012-11-05 v3.0)
  • HP Hardware Diagnosic Utility (2012-10-22 v4.0)
  • Printer Toolbox update (2012-05-07 v1.0)
  • Uninstalled printer
  • Installed HP Officejet Full Feature Software & Driver (2012-10-27 v28.8) with the exception of BING toolbar and HP Product Improvement Study). Interestingly, this failed and downloaded a solution which then seemed to allow the printer to be installed. This process included an update for the update checker.

Other information

• The printer is on a wireless network.
  • The fault is present regardless of printing in normal, or draft mode.
  • The fault is present whether printing from MS-WORD or PDF.
  • Two computers have both printed the same file in duplex mode, with the same squashed output.

Still looking for an answer and running out of ink! I'm not buying any more until I know I'm keeping the printer.

Top Student
nich7503
Message 7 of 17 (1,408 Views)

Update 2:

It would seem that this is a common problem with HP printers. See http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Issues-Troubleshooting/HP-7510-Duplex-Problem-y-axis-scaling/m...

Interestingly, when I turned on the computer today, Windows XP said it found a new printer and was installing the drivers. So before I followed any of the instructions in the link above, I printed my test 'O' page (from pdf). And the letter appears to be the right shape, just smaller (i.e. increased margins on left and top). This is still unacceptable. This will mean CD & other labels will not match. Scaled drawings will be hopelessly in error.

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 8 of 17 (1,385 Views)

Hello again Nich7503,

Thank you for the update and the feedback.  Contrary to popular belief, we do value this information and want our users to have the best possible experience.  I've included a section of the User's Guide below, would you mind validating the duplex process that you used to get these results?  Just in case, the link to the User's Guide is pasted below these steps.  Thanks again........

Print on both sides (duplexing)
You can print on both sides of a sheet of media automatically by using the automatic twosided printing accessory (duplexer).
NOTE: Two-sided printing requires an automatic two-sided printing accessory
(duplexer) to be installed on the printer.
NOTE: You can perform manual duplexing by first printing only the odd pages,
flipping the pages over, and then printing only the even pages.
Perform two-sided printing (Windows)
1. Load the appropriate media. For more information, see Load media.
2. Make sure the duplexer is installed correctly.
Chapter 2
36 Print3. With a document open, click Print on the File menu, and then under the Print on
Both Sides options on the Layout tab, select either Flip on Long Edge or Flip on
Short Edge.
4. Change any other settings, and then click OK.
5. Print your document.
Perform two-sided printing (Mac OS X)
1. Load the appropriate media. For more information, see Load media.
2. Make sure the duplexer is installed correctly.
3. Select a paper size:
a. From  the File menu in your software application, click Page Setup.
NOTE: If you do not see a Page Setup menu item, go to step 4.
b. Make sure the printer you want to use is selected in the Format For pop-up menu.
c. Select the paper size from the Paper Size pop-up menu, and then click OK.
4. From the File menu in your software application, click Print.
5. Make sure the printer you want to use is selected.
6. Select the paper size from the Paper Size pop-up menu (if available).
NOTE: You might need to select the paper-size option labeled Two-Sided
margins.
7. Click the Two-Sided Printing pop-up menu, select Print Both Sides, and then click
the appropriate binding options for the document.
- OR -
Click the Layout pop-up menu, and then select the appropriate binding options for
the document from the Two-Sided pop-up menu.
NOTE: If you do not see any options, click the disclosure triangle next to the
Printer pop-up menu or click Show Details.
8. Select any other print settings that you want, and then click Print to begin printing.
Print on both sides.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03227497.pdf

Top Student
nich7503
Message 9 of 17 (1,355 Views)

Final Update: Printer is going back to HP and I'm getting a refund. I have to say I am really disappointed that HP does not seem to have fixed a problem that has been around for some time. Looks like I'm going elsewhere now.

Honor Student
vanackertom
Message 10 of 17 (1,343 Views)

Hi, I have the same problem with my Officejet 6700 Premium. 

When I print singleprinted pages, the margins on the side are fine (preview-like). 

When I print duplex, and flip on the long side, the margins are bigger and print quality is not good, it's like a rescale in one direction.

Please do something about it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation