Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a MAC wireless network and I cannot connect my Officejet 7410 to it.  The only options for wireless on the 7410 are wep and wpa (not wpa2).  Is there a firmware update that will allow wpa2?  I also am unable to reach my printer when connected directly to the MAC Time capsule.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It shouid take WPA -TKIP, but the display will only say WEP.  Try it.

Also, and I know this sounds strange, but change the router 2.4GHz channel to 11.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
HP Recommended

There is no such thing as a MAC wireless network.  Do you mean an Apple Airport wireless network?

WPA2 will also accept WPA passwords.

Are you connecting it via the Airport's USB, Ethernet or wirelessly?  Also, what version of OS X are you using?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Yes, I have a Time capsule with the Apple Airport wireless network.  I have tried connecting the printer both via the Airports USB and wirelessly.  I cannot see the printer when connected via the USB.  The IP will not save and the printer will not accept my networks password.  I'm using OS X version 10.5.8.  

Thanks. 

HP Recommended

You want to connect via wireless (or Ethernet).  The software installer is not set up for connection to Airport USB (although it can be done in other ways).  More importantly, you cannot scan through the Airport USB.

So, focus on wireless or Ethernet.  Put in your WPA2 password (even though the printer install says WPA).  The password is case sensitive.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended
Thanks.  After I put the password in the printer tries to connect, but nothing happens.  It does not error out or connect.  I've been stuck at this point.  
HP Recommended

What kind of password are you using (WEP, WPA, WPA2...)?  Passwords are case sensitive.

Are you sure it is not connected?  Print a Network Config Page from the front panel. 

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Since the Officejet 7410 was released before the ratification of the 802.11i standard that defined WPA2, that printer won't connect to a pure WPA2-PSK protected network.

Many wireless-routers allow for mixed WPA+WPA2 encryption.  For example, my Airport Extreme Basestation allows for a WPA/WPA2 Personal setting that would be compatible with your 7410.  So do my Linksys, D-Link and Netgear wireless-routers.

From a security point of view, WPA-PSK w/AES and WPA2-PSK w/AES are equivalent.   While there have been reports on partial break-in's with WPA-PSK w/TKIP security, the AES algorithm is safe with the use of a strong pass phrase (length > 13 characters, mixed upper and lower case, numbers and some punctuation).

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
HP Recommended

I'm having a similar problem. i'm using a macbook with snow leopard 10.6.3, time capsule, and the 7410.  my wpa password is not accepted by the printer (it wants a wep password) and my computer cannot see the printer. i did manage to find correct software and drivers and can print using a cable but i need to work wirelessly. am assuming that i need to enter my wpa password somehow on the printer control panel, in order to join my network, but have no idea how. to do that. help, please help!

HP Recommended

Configure your Airport to use WPA/WPA2.  You should be able to enter the network info onto your printer.

On the printer select Setup > Network > Wireless Setup Wizard.  Remember that passwords are case-sensitive.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

my airport is already configured to use wpa/wpa2. it's the printer that's set for wep. thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.