Question

Honor Student
redmax2
Message 1 of 9 (3,551 Views)

Officejet Pro 8500 A very slow printing

I have had this printer for two years, whenever I print off of the web, it is very slow.  I use a Mac OSX 10.7.3, I've spent an hour and a half this morning trying to fix it.  Went to the web, an "expert" said to unstill the software, then reinstalled from a link the expert said to use.  Then got an update, same problem.  I wish I had never bought an HP!  What is wrong with this thing!

Distinguished Professor
-JohnB-
Message 2 of 9 (3,535 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 A very slow printing

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time with this. This article should cover the issue you are experiencing. Give the steps outlined a shot and let us know if it helps.

Best of Luck!

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
Teacher
JustinNS
Message 3 of 9 (3,532 Views)

Hi

If your printer is connected to Mac via USB cable or Wireless please perform the below step

Disconnect both cables from Mac, power and USB cable, then hold the power button for 60 seconds and then release the power button while both cables are unplug, it will clear the static electricity of printer

Then connect both cables and try to print,  if you face the same please let me know the below details

Printer full name( HP Officejet 8500 ....)

how the printer is connected to Mac via USB or wireless

Did you install printer software for Mac OS 10.7 or only update thru Software update from Mac.

Regards
Justin
Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution : )
Honor Student
redmax2
Message 4 of 9 (3,520 Views)

I have done everything according to your instructions, even updated again this a.m. the software for the printer for OSX Lion 10.7  Anything away from the web, like a preview page prints fast, anything from the web, like an email, etc. takes 2 1/2 mintues per page.  I've spent way to much time with this thing.  I would like to be able to talk directly by phone with someone on this.

Honor Student
redmax2
Message 5 of 9 (3,435 Views)

Ok, I've got this very slow narrowed down.  I'm using a MAC, OSX 10.7.3, I've uninstalled and reinstalled, unplugged USB and power, replugged, etc.  Same results.  But, it appears my problem is only when I'm not printing from the "preview" window.  In the preview window, pdf files, etc., and one website I use in my business defaults to the preview window, it prints fast.  But if I go to anything else, like printing from HP's site, etc., it is extremely slow.

Now what?

Distinguished Professor
SeanS
Message 6 of 9 (3,431 Views)

Hey redmax. Sorry to hear your having trouble with printing. Lets try resetting the print system:

Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Default tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

Let me know if this solves the issue.

-Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Honor Student
Mark1
Message 7 of 9 (2,961 Views)

Sean - I too am having the same problem...very slow printing with HP8500A.  Deleted printer/reinstalled, and still does same thing.  Any assistance is very much appreciated!

Student
Crenshaw
Message 8 of 9 (1,012 Views)

Hi, did you ever get any resolution to this problem.   I have the same thing - printer has been ok for a couple of years and now suddenly I start getting a long delays in between print jobs.    Delay seems to be at its worst over wi-fi.   I get the same result on two different Macs.   And I've re-installed all of the HP & driver software.

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 9 of 9 (999 Views)

Hi Crenshaw

I understand the printing is very slow.

Try restarting the router to see if this makes a difference.

Print a hardware self test to see if it prints faster to find out if it's the printer's hardware or something on the network causing it to print slow.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c02786613&lc=en&product=4083969&tmp...

Lets verify and repair the disk permission on the Mac.
Go to the Mac harddrive, applications, utilities, disk utility, click on Mac
hardrive on left side, click on verify disk permissions, when that is finished click repair disk permissions.
(when it is finished it will show disk repair completed)
http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=3810#permission

Restart the mac.

Empty the trash.

I would reset the printing system on the Mac.
Note: This will delete all the printers and you will have to add them back in again.

Go to the Apple, system preferences, print and scan, hold down the control button on the keyboard and click your mouse in the white area on the left side of the window, reset printing system comes up, select it and put in Mac password.

Then add the printer back in by selecting the + button.

Now try printing.

Are you printing PDF files?
Print the PDF as an image.
Click File, then click Print.
Click Advanced.
Select the Print As Image checkbox, change any other settings as desired, and then click OK. On the Print window, click Print to begin printing.

What Mac operating system are you using?
Here is a document to check your operating system for Mac.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03204293#N53

Let me know if that made a difference.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation