04-11-2011 06:31 PM
I was just about ready to by a new Officejet Pro 8500A Plus when I noticed it supports Mac OS 10.5 and up.
Does it really not support 10.4.11?Is there a generic driver that supports this?
04-12-2011 12:35 AM - edited 04-12-2011 12:37 AM
There are 10 different models of the Officejet Pro 8500 (counting those outside of the USA). I suspect that its a newer model that did not come into existence until after Mac OS X 10.4.
The Gutenberg Open Source drivers do not list the OJP 8500 as a supported model, see here. This is not surprising as my impression is that the Gutenberg efforts are to get older printers to work with newer operating systems. Sometimes Gutenberg or other HP drivers designed for other printers will work with other models, but that is a very hit and miss proposition. I don't know of any instance where another driver was used for an OJP 8500 to get it to work with 10.4, but that could be the case.
Are you on a Power PC CPU Mac, or can you upgrade to 10.5? Other than actual trial and error I don't know what to suggest. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Anyone else have any thoughts? - Randy
- HP Printers - Installing a Mac Printer Driver Using Apple Software Update
- HP Printers - Download and Install a Mac HP Printer Driver and Software
- HP AirPrint-Compatible Wireless Printers - Printing Over a Wireless Network with Apple's AirPrint FAQs
- Scan from OS X v10.9 Mavericks With the Full Feature HP Software for HP Multifunction Printers
- Scanning in OS X v10.10 Yosemite Without HP Software