01-03-2012 04:24 AM
01-03-2012 11:41 AM - edited 01-03-2012 12:02 PM
Unfortunately the printer is compatible with Mac OS X 10.5 or above.
If the printer detected by the Mac OS, there are some workarounds you may try:
- Open System Preferences and then open the Print & Fax window.
- In the Print Browser window, click on the Printing button
- Click the [ + ] button. The Printer Browser window opens.
- If your Macintosh sees the printer, it should be listed in the upper section of the Printer Browser.
- Select your printer in the list.
- Set Print Using as Generic PCL Driver
- Then click Add
- If your Macintosh does not sees the printer, Click IP Printer and try the steps below:
- Set the Protocol as HP Jetdirect Socket.
- Type the IP Address within the Address field.
You may follow the steps below to obtain the printer IP / URL Address from the Network Configuration Page:
- Set Print Using as Generic PCL Driver
- Then click Add.
Althought scanning by using the software is not possible, you may still scan to your Mac by using the Digital Filing feature:
1.Open the System Preferences:
a.Click the blue apple in the upper left corner.
b.Select System Preferences.
2.In the Internet & Network category, select the Sharing option.
3.Select the check box beside Windows Sharing..
4.Click the Accounts button to select one of the users currently logged on. You need the appropriate user password to complete the step.
The computer is now ready to share folder within a Windows network. In the Sharing window under the list you can see the network path for your computer. You need this information later to configure the product.
Once the SMB Sharing been enabled and the destination folder has been shared, you may set the Scan to Network Folder by entering the printer EWS (Type the printer IP within Safari):
- Click the Scan tab.
- Click Network Folder Setup.
- Click New
- Select the name, set the shared folder path and provide your Mac OS user and passowrd information.
- Follow the steps by your Needs, click Save and Test to confirm the shared folder accessable for the printer.
- Now you will be able to share from the device.
I hope those steps will allow you to get at least some of the functionality to be able using the device from your Mac.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution
03-14-2012 07:16 PM
I was so excited to discover your workaround. However, on my old Mac running OS 10.4, I don't have the "Print Using" option of Generic PCL Driver. The AirPrint works beautifully on my husbands iPad. Would love to figure out how to use it with our old Macs. Any other suggestions?
03-27-2012 10:33 PM
for users of 10.4, i've found some workaround. i currently have 2 macs, 1 with OSX 10.7.3 and the old one 10.4.11.
installed the printer on 10.7.3, then went to printer sharing.
on your 10.4.11, just hit the add printer and you should see the shared printer and you can add it right away.
downside is that, the 10.7.3 should be turned on when printing.
10-21-2012 02:59 PM - edited 10-24-2012 06:06 PM
I've deleted my solution because Garland's is much better (see his below mine).
[iMac G5 PPC running Mac OS 10.4.11; printing over wi-fi directly to HP Officejet Pro 8600 eAll-In-One (NOT Plus or Premium)]
04-26-2013 03:41 PM
The Officejet Pro L7400 series driver (which I think is on the 10.4 system disk or at least on on of its upgrades) works reasonably well. It provides two-sided printing, color printing, and proper centering on letter-size paper.
04-06-2014 12:25 AM - edited 04-06-2014 12:27 AM
THANKS ALOT!!!!!!!!!! IT WORKED. I AM RUNNING 10.4.11 DOWNLOADED ALL 3 ITEMS AND IM PRINTING NOW..SUCH A LIFE SAVER.
CHECK OUT GARLAND M.
- HP Printers - Installing a Mac Printer Driver Using Apple Software Update
- HP Printers - Download and Install a Mac HP Printer Driver and Software
- HP AirPrint-Compatible Wireless Printers - Printing Over a Wireless Network with Apple's AirPrint FAQs
- Scan from OS X v10.9 Mavericks With the Full Feature HP Software for HP Multifunction Printers
- Scanning in OS X v10.10 Yosemite Without HP Software