Question
P1102w Airprint for iPhone 4
Replies (36)

Master's Graduate
Vanricker
Message 11 of 37 (11,417 Views)

Re: P1102w Airprint for iPhone 4

Currently,  the HP iPrint Photo v3.0 app only supports inkjet printers.   No Laserjet support at this time.

If this reply helped you, please say thanks by clicking the blue Kudos star.

I am an HP employee
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 12 of 37 (11,414 Views)

Vanricker, news to me - thanks for that!

I am employed by HP
Student
Simontechnician
Message 13 of 37 (11,087 Views)

I just want to say how disappointed I am with HP and the P1102w, it was sold to me a a wireless printer that will work with iphones and ipads and it simply fails to work with anything but a pc or mac book. WHY MAKE IT WIRELESS? I could use a USB cable for those machines.

Very sad and we will not be buying any of these.

Poor show HP I feel tricked that it is a wireless printer that is not eprint?!! 

PS: regarding the note above i have tried the HP app for eprinting and it does not find the P1102w at all!

Nice printer if only it was useable from hand held i devices.

Student
Magic_Hammer
Message 14 of 37 (10,993 Views)

I did find this post about someone who was printing to their p1102w from their iPad, but it looks like with the print job goes via their desktop: http://www.ipadforums.net/airprint/26584-hp-p1102w-printer-working.html

Personally I love the P1102w, and think it's a great printer. It's cheap and small, and being wireless means I can stick it in a bookshelf away from the computer and not have to run a network cable across the house. However, one of the reasons it's cheap is that the print processing is handled by the computer, not the printer, this is probably why it's not supported for printing away from your PC/Mac.

Student
Noruas
Message 15 of 37 (10,577 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is confusing.

Why is P1102w in list of AirPrint supporting printers on Apple site?

You say it won't support AirPrint due to missing hardware, but what hardware is it missing? It has wireless support, can't AirPrint support be added via new firmware?

And about e-Print - this is something different from AirPrint. Why even mention it's not "e-printer"?

Official HP site says:

"Airprint is different from HP e-Print

The ePrint functionality provides a unique e-mail address to your printer, so you can print files by e-mailing them from your mobile device"

I don't think you need unique email address for your printer to use AirPrint.

Teacher
headsortails
Message 16 of 37 (10,556 Views)

The 6/9/2011 firmware update for the P1102w adds AirPrint support. 

Honor Student
natekill
Message 17 of 37 (9,948 Views)

[ Edited ]

Does anybody have a real solution to this problem, the firmware package does not work with Max OS X. Is there anybody who really works at HP that reads these forums or are we just left to talk amongst ourselves? When will a working firmware package be available for Mac OS X (lion) ?

Honor Student
linden-frank
Message 18 of 37 (8,668 Views)

Top Student
VonOstin
Message 19 of 37 (8,653 Views)

Can you do your reply in English!
Honor Student
Art-Ickles
Message 20 of 37 (8,110 Views)

Sorry mate, but your information seems patently wrong, and hard to believe you are an HP employee. (On second thoughts, maybe not so hard to believe!) At this stage both HP and Apple list the HP P1102w as Airprint capable, which is the reason many of bought the device. It seems it is a good little workhorse, but what a saga to set up from a Mac. I could at first only set it up as a USB printer, and could only get the blue light to go on after setting it up from a Vista.   The HTML config fails to load in OS X 10.7, but if you print out the config (press the amber button with the X on for  5 seconds) you get the IP address of the printer. The HTML config does not load in OS X 10.7, but an easy workaround is to load a browser, and type the IP address in as an URL. Then add the IP address under the networking tab. Thereafter delete  the printer from the system preferences and reload it wirelessly. Now it might work  via wi-fi if you are lucky.

Now the only problem for me is that Airprint still does not work. I have heard three theories on how to make it work.

1.) Reload the firmware from Windows. - That does not work because I did that earlier on my mac, and now it simply says that all is up to date.   2.) Someone suggested that one "downgrades" one's wi-fi router to b+g from b+g+n. I use a Vodafone Hg556a and still trying to figure how to do that. Any ideas, anyone? 3.) Someone else sugested that it is all down to the router, which needs a dedicated port for the printer.  Not so sure but would do that if I knew how. Again, anyone else with any ideas?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation