Question

Top Student
oldandinthegray
Message 1 of 31 (15,350 Views)
Accepted Solution

Paper mismatch error message

When attempting to print a photo I get a paper mismatch error.  Am using a macbook pro 10.6.  This is a brand new C309 Photosmart printer.  Have loaded 4 x 6 photo paper that came with printer...proper side up...pushed to front and plastic slider moved over to right....trying to print from iPhoto...selected photo..hit print and selected photo-4x6-10x15...when I hit the print button...photo paper is slid into printer and then a few seconds later I get the paper mismatch error. Have printed full size docs with no problem.  Any help with be most appreciated.....I did go to the HP site and download latest drivers for this printer and osx 10.6.  Have checked all settings in system prefs under print and scan and don't see anything amiss

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 31 (15,346 Views)

Re: Paper mismatch error message

Did you ever use this printer with 10.5 or load the software for 10.5 (perhaps off the disk that came with the printer)?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
oldandinthegray
Message 3 of 31 (15,345 Views)

First thanks for the reply....no...this is a brand new printer and a sheet was supplied with the printer stating not to use the enclosed cd if your were using OSX 10.6.  I did, after continuously getting the paper mismatch error, go to the HP support site and download the newest driver/software for OSX 10.6...have continued to get the message.  Again, thank you for your reply and any further assistance, Michael

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 31 (15,339 Views)

OK, good.  You are using the right software.  Good job.

In the print dialog that comes up just before you hit print it may ask what tray you are printing from in a pull-down menu.  If you can find that, make sure that it is instructed to use the photo tray (may be labeled Tray 2).

I am employed by HP
Top Student
oldandinthegray
Message 5 of 31 (15,336 Views)

Interesting...I did select photo but that didn't work....I then selected automatic and hit print and a message came up on the printer viewer that said something to the effected that automatic paper detection has been selected and went ahead and printed the photo...I tried to get the message to come again so as to be correct in what it said but it will not come up again.  Many thanks for your help...have printed 4 photos and they are all "professional" looking...am going to enjoy this printer.  Again, thanks!

Student
kimitobo
Message 6 of 31 (13,983 Views)

Hia, I had the same problem, still getting Paper Mismatch when printing from OSX 10.6. I used the printer already with 10.5. but when I tried to search new drivers for 10.6. HP support site instructed that 10.6. SnowLeopard has the drivers included. Printing from USB stick works, so just printing from mac to photo paper tray fails. Tried both automatic and manually selecting photo tray. Both fails. Please advise.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 31 (13,977 Views)

If you still have the HP printer software from 10.5 on your 10.6 Mac, you must uninstall the software using the 'scrubber' option:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Restart your Mac

Now, run a Software Update.

Next, remove and re-install the printer in System Preferences, Print & Fax.

You do not need the software now since Snow Leopard has both print & scan drivers built-in. Scan from Preview or Image Capture apps. Scanning from the front panel of the printer does not yet work.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
greendoor678
Message 8 of 31 (10,017 Views)

We've tried every solution posted on this site and others and we continue to get a "paper mismatch" error message on our C5280 All in One. We have had this printer for a few years with no problems. It worked fine over the weekend then suddenly it has stopped working due to this message.

We are using Mac OS X version 10.7.1. We've uninstalled/reinstalled printer drivers already.

This may be incidental, but this problem started to occur after I changed the printer cartridge this morning.

Do we need to buy a new printer? Nothing has worked for us and we are fairly resourceful when it comes to computer repairs. Nothing will print, regardless of where the print job originates: ie: word processing file, internet, spreadsheet.....

We just continue to get the mismatch error.

Any help is appreciated.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 31 (10,014 Views)

Have you tried a different paper brand/whiteness?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
greendoor678
Message 10 of 31 (10,011 Views)

I was trying to print on card stock (8.5 x 11) when the error occurred initially, but the error continues even with plain printer paper. However, the good news is that I adjusted the print quality just now and it appears to be working again. I changed it to "draft" and printed a few items with no problem, then changed back to "best quality" with no issues. Such a quirky problem, which I hope doesn't reappear anytime soon. Thanks for the quick response.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation