Question

Student
Lilsarahc
Message 1 of 14 (2,413 Views)

Photosmart 5510 alignment loop

Hi
I recently purchased a photosmart 5510 to use with my MacBook running os x Lion
It prints fine but I'm having one major problem with the software. Basically alerts are constantly popping up asking me to align the new ink cartridges. Now I have been through this.... Twice to make sure but the alerts continue to come. I come home from work and there are about 25 of them on the screen! this is not only eating up my ram by having so many windows open but also there's no way to dismiss the alert without clicking align (which obviously I don't want to do 25 times) so my only option ends up being to restart my laptop. There must be a way to stop this and it's driving me nuts so any help is really appreciated!
Student
kmj2202
Message 2 of 14 (2,375 Views)

Re: Photosmart 5510 alignment loop

Hi I have the exact same issue, found other posts on this forum about the same issue which said to reinstall the software using the USB cable. Tried that, no joy. Any help appreciated - it's massively annoying and I'm now thinking of returning the printer.

Thanks
Student
PJHALLAS
Message 3 of 14 (2,349 Views)

Having the exact same problem as above.  Any advice?

Teacher
JustinNS
Message 4 of 14 (2,228 Views)

Hi

I request you to perform the below step on the printer touch screen

touch the right arrow >> wrench icon >> use the arrow to select Tools -->  select Clean Printhead

ouch the right arrow >> wrench icon >> use the arrow to select Tools -->  select Align  Printer

Regards
Justin
Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution : )
Honor Student
bclooch
Message 5 of 14 (2,181 Views)

The printer loops with the alignment request and then when I clean the printhead and align the printer does not recognize what was done. It tells me the alignment failed. Now what do I do?

Teacher
JustinNS
Message 6 of 14 (2,161 Views)

Hi

Please perform the below step on the printer touch screen, while you performing the steps both keys are invisible or not lit up

Touch Reverse or Undo arrow key (Bottom Left)
Touch Little home icon (Top Left)
Then touch Reverse or Undo arrow key (Bottom Left)
Again touch the Reverse or undo (Bottom Left) Buttons, in sequence.

( http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81KY%2BvZACkL._AA1500_.jpg or http://www.msystems.gr/files/product/13002.2.jpg)

You will see support menu listed on the printer touch screen

Touch Support Menu.
Press Right arrow for Reset Menu and Touch OK.
Press Right arrow for Semi-Full Reset and Touch OK.
Wait for unit to Power Down/Turn Off.
Press Power button to turn the Printer On.

Select English Language and USA Country

Regards
Justin
Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution : )
Honor Student
bclooch
Message 7 of 14 (2,143 Views)

Before I got your suggestion, I used some rubbing alcohol on the connections and it seems to have fix the problem too. Thank you. for your suggestion. 

Student
Cazyan
Message 8 of 14 (1,941 Views)

Could someone please help by telling me where the 'connections' are so I can get the rubbing alcohol - this loop is driving me crazy

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 9 of 14 (1,922 Views)

Hello Lilsarahc,

Thanks for the post.  We have a couple of options with this one, regarding ink alerts and other messages that reoccur after hitting OK on the pop up.  I have learned that in some products you need to actually go into the Message Center and acknowledge the messages there in order for the pop ups to stop.  Simply hitting OK on the pop up does not terminate the alert.  You can Ctrl-Click and highlight all of the messages and acknowledge en masse in the Message Center.

Please make sure that we are acknowledging the ink alerts and such IN the message center. 

If these steps do not resolve the issue, there is also the option of turning the messages off altogether. Go to HP utility, should be in the dock or in the Hewlett Packard folder in applications. In there you have an option for message center, in there you can go to settings in the top right, and then uncheck the boxes for displaying alerts.  Good Luck!

I worked for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

Student
DjangoGirl
Message 10 of 14 (1,707 Views)

This alignment loop has been a total drag with my new Mac desktop.  My old iMac with my old HP photosmart  C3180 was a perfect match for 7 years... not one glitch.  My new iMac is SO much less user-friendly and seems to have problems with HP printers, which is really upsetting since my old combination was so amazing.  Mac REALLY needs to just put a list of compatible printers on the boxes of their new 10.7.4 computers.  I actually found an unopened C3180 on ebay and bought it first - but it was completely uncompatible with 10.7.4 and I sadly gave it to a friend who has a PC.  After consulting with an HP rep by phone, he assured me that if I bought the 5510, that it was definitely compatible.  Not really the case -- I had to work really hard to find the software, as the disc that was in the box did not work with 10.7.4... so I really had to work to find it online -- Then had to find certain downloads to fix glitches... finally it actually works, but this constant alignment pop up is a pain.  I'm hoping that deleting the 146 messages in the message center will stop this.  If anyone else solves this problem, please do respond.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation