Question

Student
lattegirl24
Message 1 of 42 (8,140 Views)

Photosmart C310 printing problem

I have a mac and just purchased the Photosmart c310 wireless printer. I got it all set up and worked fine. Printed from my computer, emailed a print job and that worked as well. Also printed from a laptop pc with no problems. Did not print for a few days, tried to print something and nothing, just blank paper. Uninstalled software and reinstalled still not working. It will not even print a test sheet. The connection seems to be working but not the printer.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 42 (8,116 Views)

Re: Photosmart C310 printing problem

How is it connected?  If to a network, what brand/model router?  What version of OS X on your Mac?

I am employed by HP
Student
dolfinsfan2
Message 3 of 42 (8,031 Views)

Did you ever get this fixed? I am having the same problem!

Grad Student
Randy_K
Message 4 of 42 (8,027 Views)

dolfinsfan2 -

It would be helpful if you gave more information, such as PrintDoc asked in the last message in this thread.  How long did the printer work?  What happens when you try to print test or configuration pages directly from the printer?

- Randy

Honor Student
leandral
Message 5 of 42 (7,970 Views)

I have a MacBook Pro running OS 10.6.6.

Bought the HP Photosmart 310a.

It printed one day... beautifully.

After that, it was as if the inkwell went dry.

The printer says it printed and the pages come out blank.

What happened?  Absolutely nothing changed between day one and day two.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 42 (7,967 Views)

How is the printer connected?  If wirelessly, what brand/model router?  Have you restarted all hardware (printer, router and Mac)?

I am employed by HP
cg7 Honor Student
Honor Student
cg7
Message 7 of 42 (7,848 Views)

just brought the C310 two days ago... installed - worked great - sat for one day and now it does not copy, or print.  It is a wireless setup with an iMac running snow leopard.  my wireless is an apple time capsule .  I have restarted all hardware and re-installed the software.  I have downloaded the 2 updates to the software directly to the printer.  my network acknowledges the printer and when it is told from the iMac or from a direct 'copy' on the touch screen the printer goes thru all of the motions of printing and delivers a clean white sheet of paper.  I have used the HP diagnostics to run prints as well.  clean white sheets of paper.  from my reading, we are not the only problem children but you must be getting alot of these returned by users that have no idea what to do about the problem....  

i must admit,  i am one of them now.  is there a solution that i am missing or do i just need to return the printer? please advise.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 42 (7,841 Views)

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). Yours is 10.0.1.2 to .200  Let's use 10.0.1.220 for your printer.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway and first DNS. Leave the second one blank.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
cg7 Honor Student
Honor Student
cg7
Message 9 of 42 (7,820 Views)

Hello ! Thanks for the timely response.  Let me try this again and please take a minute to read my email.  I can not print anything from my new printer.  It doesn't even copy.  This is not a network issue.  The command gets to the printer from my imac and as well from my iPhone thru HPs ePrint (a wonderful excellant function by the way that worked great the first day)... the printer delivers a pure white clean sheet of paper.  

My problem is not new to HP... So before we go any further  just let me know if there is a fix (and please elevate my problem) or do I need to take it back.

Thanks for the advice,  I know the printers IP and will try the directions in your first email.

Student
FFurfurate
Message 10 of 42 (7,664 Views)

I have a HP Photosmart Premium e-All-in-One Printer series - C310.  It is connected via a wireless network.  The router is a BT Home Hub (the part number is 027262 so I believe it is a Thompson router).  Our computers are Macs, all running Mac OSX, version 10.6.7.

When I purchased it, it printed and scanned with no problems.  Then I started having trouble printing, typically I would receive a message to the effect that "printer is offline”.  I would check the network settings on the touch panel of the printer and it would show the printer as connected.  I would check the router status page and it would show the printer as connected, but I couldn't print.  I rebooted the printer, the router and the computer, often to no avail.  Hours later, it would mysteriously start working again.  I found the thread suggesting setting a static IP address outside the DHCP range.  I did this.  It did not solve the problem.  I tried a different static address.  Same issue.  When I check the router page, it sees the printer and correctly reports the IP address.  I have turned the firewall off.  It does not change anything.  Sometimes when I try to scan, I get a “no scanner found”, sometimes I get “opening a scan session” that goes on indefinitely, and sometimes it works fine.

Any suggestions on how to make the printer have a reliable connection?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation