Question

Top Student
dchez0
Message 1 of 12 (2,332 Views)

Photosmart C410 - Webscan

Can someone help:  Webscan works just fine when using the flatbed one shhet at a time.  With the ADF it goes through the scanning motions and after the last document it says the scanning is finished but nothing appears.  The scanning window goes grey when the scanning starts.  After saving the file and then viewing, it is totally blank.

Student
DecaturNC
Message 2 of 12 (2,263 Views)

Re: Photosmart C410 - Webscan

I am having similar problems with my Officejet Pro 8500A Plus using Mac OS X 10.6.4 (i think it's 10.6.4.  I am not using that computer as of this posting).  Using webscan worked the first night I was installing the printer and testing all of the functions.  I did several test scans using the webscan feature.  I downloed the most recent drivers from the HP website as I figured the CD was a little out of date.  The next day I did a software update on the printer as it told me there was updated software for it.  I also downloaded updated drivers from Apple when the software update utility informed me that there were HP driver updates available.  I did not discover the problem again until I tried to use webscan to scan a document using the ADF.

When using webscan to scan from the ADF all I get is blank pages.  If I scan one page either single sided or double sided or multiple pages single or double sided all I get is a blank file in the preview window.  If I open the file in Preview or save and the navigate to the file and open it with Preview I get a blank with single or mulitple pages.  If i scan from the flatbed everything works correctly.  This is annoying as I have several stacks of documents that I would like to scan using the ADF so I can save them to one PDF file.  Using webscan seem like it will work easiest for me as using HP Scan and Preview was cumbersome with the different settings that you had to make sure to tweak before/during/after scanning the document.
I have tried uninstalling the printer, the HP software and reinstalling in various combinations to no avail.  To add insult to injury my partners Windows 7 laptop works fine.
I am almost to the point of breaking down and calling HP technical support.  I am loath to do that the because past experience with any technical support center always leaves a proverbial bad taste in my mouth.
This is very annoying becasue the main reason I purchased this printer was because it has the legal size glass and the ADF and half of the reason isn't working.  I had less problems with my old G85 and the Jetdirect 175 that this printer is replacing.
Any assistance that can be rendered would be appreciated.

Honor Student
ScottZylstra
Message 3 of 12 (1,922 Views)

I am having the same problem with my OfficeJet 7500.

The webscan works just fine with the flatbed scanner, but when I try to use the adf I only get blank pages ( the correct number of blank pages, but blank none the less ).

Honor Student
ScottZylstra
Message 4 of 12 (1,792 Views)

Anything?

Anyone out there?

Top Student
hogbear
Message 5 of 12 (1,325 Views)

This is frusttrating - I too have the exact same issue that drives me nuts.  Scanning one page on the flat bed works fine, but scan multiples with the ADF is blank.  Drives me insane.  Why has no one from HP chimed in to solve the problem??

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 6 of 12 (1,298 Views)

Hello Hogbear,

Thanks for the post.  I've included a link below with a great explaination and also the steps to resolve.  Good Luck!

Follow these steps to download and install the Adobe Reader software to enable your computer to open PDF files (for viewing only).
  1. In the Downloads section, click Adobe Reader .
  2. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the software.
  3. After the software installation is complete, try again to scan to PDF.

I worked for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

Top Student
hogbear
Message 7 of 12 (1,296 Views)

As we say in the South, well I'll be.  Who knew you couldn't use Preview, only Adobe Reader.  It's not ideal, but it'll work!

Thank you!

Top Student
hogbear
Message 8 of 12 (1,293 Views)

I would like to add that it does open in Reader, but when you 'save as' or try to open it in anything else it's still blank.  So I don't have much confidence that if I send a scanned document to someone else that they'll get a readable copy. They might get a blank.

Can this be pushed for a fix so scanned images can be seen in Preview? Thank you!

Top Student
hogbear
Message 9 of 12 (1,292 Views)

Last comment...I was using Webscan because for some reason my printer wasn't recognized by my Mac a couple of months ago. Webscan was my way around it. I just tried scanning again through Lion's Print and Scan section of System Preferences, and it's working great now. So I'll just stop using Webscan. Weird. I look like an idiot.
Top Student
dchez0
Message 10 of 12 (1,280 Views)

All of a sudden I got 4 responses yesterday - how strange is that?

I have given up on HP Scan which I think is a pity but I don't think it is as good as the Epson software I had over 6 years ago!

I now use the application Image Capture which I think came with OS X Lion (I definitely didn't buy it).  It works much better than HP Scan and the resulting files are considerably smaller than those produced by HP Scan.  Flat bed / ADF no problem / Single / Duplex - a breeze.

Good luck

David :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation