Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Clearly the USB is connected if I can print, but the printer says "USB not connected" when I try to scan.  I am using a macbook with OS X 10.5.8

I have used this scanner with this computer successfully in the past.

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi,
 I would suggest you to run Scrubber which will remove complete printer software then re-install updated printer software from the HP web link.

Run Scrubber:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall <<<< Scrubber Option
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Here is the web link to download and install printer software.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=oj-74785-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Regards,
Jonathan.

HP Recommended

I don't see a hewlett packard folder in applications.

HP Recommended

Hey !

You can use spot light to search for hp uninstaller.

On the top right corner of your mac you will see a magnifying glass icon. Click on that and type

HP uinstaller. and it will search it for you. Open it use the key combination  to scrub out the software and driver.

Then download the new driver

Follow the insturction to install the printer.

If your device not shown. Please reconnect the printer USB cable to different USB port on mac computer.

Reconnect the USB cable to printer as well. Make sure of tight connection.

And run the installer again. It will list your device for sure.

let me know if that helps

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accept as Solution"

Thanks and Regards
vishu
HP Recommended
Will this work with PC's having the problem as well as Macs? Thanks
HP Recommended

Actually you may find that by simply deleting the non-Bonjour printer in Print & Fax (or Print & Scan on Lion 10.7) will work.  For some reason it may have defaulted the printer back to the USB one used for the install.

Windows users can simply use the HP Uninstaller and install fresh software

Although I am not affiliated with HP, please give Kudos if I've answered your question 🙂
HP Recommended

I uninstalled the Photosmart printer and then reinstalled it using the disk that it came with, but the problem persists. Where should I go to get fresth software? Thanks

HP Recommended

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=3192753&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

Although I am not affiliated with HP, please give Kudos if I've answered your question 🙂
HP Recommended

Will this link work for a PC? Thanks

HP Recommended

Yes the link will work for any Operating System for the C4280

I provided the link which takes you to where you choose your Operating System 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.