Question

Tutor
anasazi4st
Message 1 of 3 (1,495 Views)
Accepted Solution

Photosmart C4580: No Install CD to download, Mac OS X 10.9?

So, after much searching, it appears that the HP Photosmart C4580 is not intended to work wirelessly with machines running  Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

I make this bold statement because the HP Support Site tells me that, in order to set up the wireless network capabilities, I must insert the software CD that was included with the printer.

That would be okay if I had the Install CD...which I don't. (I got this printer yesterday at a second-hand store. It's in great shape, but only the AC and USB cord were included.)

No problem, the site says I can download it. Only, when I click the Download link, I'm told that there's no need to download anything, that the Mac Software Update will handle the installation process...which it did as far as the basic printer setup. BUT there's still no apparent way to set up the wireless feature.

CATCH-22! I need the CD to set up the wireless feature...only, apparently, I don't. (??!??)

Can anyone please help me out with this?

TIA.

Tutor
anasazi4st
Message 2 of 3 (1,452 Views)

Re: Photosmart C4580: No Install CD to download, Mac OS X 10.9?

Failing a response from anyone, I'll relate the solution I found for my wireless setup issue.

My MacBook Pro is a dual boot system featuring Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks and Windows 7. I started up in Windows 7, found the Install CD software for Windows on the HP website...this took a while to download (it's 186 MB). When that was all done it prompted me to start the install process for the necessary apps and drivers, and then automatically set up the wireless feature on my HP Photosmart C4580 without really much interaction from me.

Afterwards I printed a Network Configuration page for later on, then restarted in OS X and followed the instructions elsewhere on the HP site to set up the printer in OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

That went very well. I printed a test page, all was good with no problems.

I also downloaded older versions (10.4 and 10.5) on my other Macs for the printer's install on  those machines, using almost the same app to do so. These also installed without any issues.

But I still required a PC for the initial wireless setup process.

Shame on you, HP! This workaround solved my problem, but not everyone is fortunate to have access to two computers. You really should offer the Mac Install CD as a downloadable option. While it is true that Mavericks does use the Apple Software Updater to download and run the printer setup, there isn't a way to initiate and configure the wireless feature from there.

You shouldn't need to have a PC to set this up, and especially when you don't offer the same process from another OS. And yet, nowhere is this noted in the Mac setup instructions or documentation...just "insert the HP Install CD to begin the setup process". If you have a Mac and have lost the Install CD that came with the printer, you're out of luck.

Shame on you, HP! Shame on you.

Honor Student
ANGUS271
Message 3 of 3 (1,373 Views)

Re: Photosmart C4580: No Install CD to download, Mac OS X 10.9?

Thany you for finding this solution, I've wasted hours trawling the internet, HP support and got nowhere until I found your comment! Deleted my C4580, plugged it into my ancient XP laptop and voila! Working wirelessly again, so ran through the wireless setup for Mavericks and it's back in the game.

Couldn't agree more with your comments re HP's support and the need to figure out your own workaround. There are numerous others out there with similar wireless printing issues after they updated to Mavericks. HP must be aware of this issue and should at least, as you say, provide an installation CD as the Apple software update is basic at best.

Could the lack of support/solutions from HP have anything to do with not recognising customers with older (but still working) products that are out of warranty? I'm sure many people with similar issues just gave up and bought a new printer which I'm sure HP are quite happy with as it increases their profits. Or am I just being cynical?

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation