Photosmart C4680 - unable to scan (18716 Views)
Top Student
C4680
Message 1 of 22 (18,716 Views)
Accepted Solution

Photosmart C4680 - unable to scan

Hi,

I just bought a Photosmart C4680 with a new Mac Book Pro in September. The printing and copying functions work well, but everytime I try to scan I get a message "An unknown error occured" and the scan is cancelled by the software itself. If I try to scan again, I get a message that there is a communication problem with the scanner.. I have tried rebooting, shutting down, changing USB ports, uninstalling the software and reinstalling, nothing works. Any ideas? 

Student
Steve3GS
Message 2 of 22 (18,578 Views)

Re: Photosmart C4680 - unable to scan

Guten Tag.

Ich habe Heute ein Macbook mit Drucker HP C4680 gekauft.

Auch ich bekomme beim Scannen Fehlermeldungen und kann diese Funktion am Macbook nicht nutzen. 

Ich hoffe es gibt eine Lösung dafür, da das Gerät ansonsten sehr gut ist.

Danke im Voraus für Hilfestellungen. 

Gruß :-) 

RSB Honor Student
Honor Student
RSB
Message 3 of 22 (18,251 Views)

I cannot scan - keep getting the 'error' message - any hope of getting a response in English?  Thanks.  RSB
PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 4 of 22 (18,242 Views)

Hey Folks,

Not sure what the guy said in German, I hope this helps you as well.  We've seen this mostly when there's a conflict between old and new software.  Folks will automatically run the software off the CD when they are setting up a new printer.  The problem is the CD is for 10.5, you didn't specifically mention what OS you are running, but you got the Mac in Sept, I am going to assume it's Snow Leopard.

Anyway,

Uninstalling by itself doesn't always resolve the issue, so there's a "scrubber" in the software that really cleans things out. 

Go to Library/Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller

Click on Continue

Highlight your device on the left pane

Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Apple keys and click on Uninstall

There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software.  (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled, which is why we don't run this thing all the time)

Click Continue

Let the scrubber do it's thing.

After that, Add your C4680 through Print and Fax, and let the OS search for updates and such. If it asks you if you want to download them, accept.

That should take care of it.

Honor Student
tafandabay
Message 5 of 22 (17,885 Views)

I vhave the same problem exactly

What do you mean by add your printer through Print and Fax?

I am using a MacBook Pro, and have just uninstalled my C468 all in one Scanner/Copier/Printer using the above advice

many thanks

Top Student
C4680
Message 6 of 22 (17,862 Views)

OK, this worked!

Only I cannot scan using the controls on the printer itself, I have to scan through the printer software on my Mac.

But I guess that's OK.

For Tafandabay: Use the Apple icon on the op left hand side of your screen, then choose <System Preferences> <Print and Fax>, the software will guide you from there once you have uninstalled your printer.

Thanks for the help, saved me a lot of trouble!!!

Honor Student
tafandabay
Message 7 of 22 (17,789 Views)

OK, I see now

but when I try to add, an error pops up with the message 'cups-see-other'

but what does 'cups-see-other' mean? and whats the solution?

many thanks

Top Student
C4680
Message 8 of 22 (17,777 Views)

All I did was uninstall everything according and then just go to Print and Fax, I did not try to add the printer myself. 

I would make sure I don't have the HP installation CD in my Mac and that my printer is turned off.

Then I would follow the instructions for uninstalling (control_Alt_command-->OK) as in the solution message. Finally, use the Print & Fax option. When you go to Print and Fax the drivers should be downloaded and installed automatically.

I hope this helps.

Student
abee-k
Message 9 of 22 (17,698 Views)

Thanks so much! MB Justice, you saved me a lot of confusion from looking at the HP Support page. Did the trick.

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 10 of 22 (17,609 Views)

I'm glad it worked for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation