Question

Honor Student
jaglon
Message 1 of 8 (2,049 Views)

Photosmart C4780 will not print.

We are using the USB not wireless connection to a MAC OS X Version10.6.4 . We have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer driver, did not work. It should be noted that it printed the first time it was installed but will not now. It does copy. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 8 (2,029 Views)

Re: Photosmart C4780 will not print.

The software on the CD is only for 10.5 and earlier.  There should have been a warning in the packaging about this.  You need to remove the software with the 'scrubber' option:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Now, run a Software Update.

Next, remove and re-install the printer in System Preferences, Print & Fax.

You do not need the software now since Snow Leopard has both print & scan drivers built-in. Scan from Preview or Image Capture apps. Scanning from the front panel of the printer does not yet work.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
jaglon
Message 3 of 8 (2,011 Views)

We will try this but I do not understand what you mean by getting a software update for the printer driver if, as you later say, that we do not need it because snow leopard has both print and scan drivers built in. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 8 (2,004 Views)

Oh, what I mean is that there is HP software built into your Mac OS X.  Updating that is important.  You do not need any additional HP software.

I am employed by HP
Student
tesiegel
Message 5 of 8 (1,996 Views)

this is my first time using a message board.  I'm not sure who this question is going to.

hp c4580 isn't printing.  i'm using a mac and it is doing everything it is supposed to do but the paper feeds out of the printer blank.  you can see the correct document to be printed in the preview window and the dialogue box clearly lists the correct printer.  it is also set as the default and the ink cartridge is more than half full.

if you can help me that would be wonderful.  thanks so much.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 8 (1,991 Views)

Message boards are published to virtually anyone who wants to read your post and/or respond to it.

What version of OS X are you using?  Where did you get the software for your printer?

I am employed by HP
Student
MacInDenver
Message 7 of 8 (1,957 Views)

Hi, thanks for your advice on this thread.  Looks like there are a lot of problems with the C4780.  Unfortunately, I am experiencing more of the same. 

This past week, I purchased a new MacBookPro and also a C4780 from an Apple store.  I went through the set-up process as outlined in the manual / disc that accompanied the C4780.  At first, the C4780 seemed to work fine (the C4780 was connected to the MacBook via USB).  The printer was able to print both a test and an alignment page.  The printer was able to print PDFs, which were the only documents I needed to print at the time.

I disconnected the C4780 from the MacBook.  A few hours later, I reconnected the C4780 to the MacBook via USB.  When I opened Word and tried to print a document, Word unexpectedly shut down.  I tried this three more times and the same thing happened each time.  I then tried to print another PDF, and while the HP printer indicated the document was printing or printed successfully, nothing printed, or a sheet of paper ran through the printer with nothing printed on it. 

I tried a few different things, including doing three uninstalls and reinstalls.  Again, it looked like the computer thought it had or was printing the document, but nothing printed.  The C4780 was able to print a test and an alignment page again.

So, I went on the HP website, found this post, and followed the steps you outlined above.  Now, the C4780 is partially working.  The C4780 will print a PDF, but not a Word document (Word is not shutting down any longer when I try to print).  When I try to print the Word document, a sheet of paper runs through the printer, but nothing is printed on the sheet.  It almost seems like the printer thinks it's working, when it's not.  I repeated the process a few times to see if that might make a difference, but I'm getting the same result.

Any ideas on how to fix this?  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 8 (1,943 Views)

Are you sure you uninstalled with the 'scrubber' option (Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys)?   If not, re-install from the CD and uninstall with the 'scrubber' option.

You also may want to try resetting the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation